The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Interior paint?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Incubus123

Interior paint?

I'm really bored and I want to make the interior of my '95 galant look fancy. I thought about just finding a dash kit but then I see people who paint it and it ends up really nice. How do you paint the interior? How hard to do is it? What type of paint do you use and where can i get it? Can you only paint the plastic parts or can you paint the soft parts too? How can you make it glossy instead of dull? How do you get the plastic pieces out of the car?

I think that just about answers my questions for now Thanks for your help.

escoson
    well not to get off the painting thing. btu if you wanted you could take your dash out, go buy some vinyl or a fabric or elather in the color you want. cut off the stock then put the new fabric on with some spray adhesive. your going to take the dash out to paint it anyway so why not rewrap it? just a thought in my opinion and it should be to difficult to do.

Incubus123
    I understand everything until "cut off the stock"... What exactly does that mean?

((I'm sorry but I'm a complete moron when it comes to this kinda stuff))

You can use a razorblade to slice the stock vinyl off, then replace it with a new material.

check out my webpage for a painting tutorial
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

brandon
    Peep this post and that's how I painted mine...

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14496

Incubus123
    Okay, this is what I think I'll do step-by-step... if I'm doing anything totally stupid please warn me because I'm pretty clueless.

1. take out and clean all plastic parts
    2. go to home depot and buy Duplicolor Vinyl paint for the plastic parts, and Fabric paint for the soft parts
    3. get a burger from in-and-out
    4. sand plastic parts
    5. paint plastic parts using the Duplicolor Vinyl coating twice, sanding, then coating again
    6. clear coat??????? --- how do you clear coat? What is clear coating? is that what makes it glossy?
    7. use Fabric paint to paint the rest of the interior (the leather-like material on the dash)
    8. cross fingers and hope I didn't screw up too badly

Will this get the job done? Is there anything I should change to make things better/easier?

Thanks for your help!

brandon
    Good for you if you're doing the whole interior... I'm way too scared to try that just yet (plus I think I'd rather wait and do fiberglass when I win the lottery haha)

Just a couple quickies:
    Make sure for the sanding you use a VERY fine grit paper...

and

The "clear coat" give it the glossy effect and protects the paint better, you can buy a can of "clear coat", it'll be in the same place as the spray cans you're buying... you'll want to spray it on after the original paint has dried completely... do at least 2 coats.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Incubus123)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    1. take out and clean all plastic parts
    2. go to home depot and buy Duplicolor Vinyl paint for the plastic parts, and Fabric paint for the soft parts
    3. get a burger from in-and-out Â*:)
    4. sand plastic parts
    5. paint plastic parts using the Duplicolor Vinyl coating twice, sanding, then coating again
    6. clear coat??????? Â*--- how do you clear coat? Â*What is clear coating? Â*is that what makes it glossy?
    7. use Fabric paint to paint the rest of the interior (the leather-like material on the dash)
    8. cross fingers and hope I didn't screw up too badly

</div>

I painted everything in my car, a few months later I redid everything in my car!
    The easiest way is to take every piece out and clean them.
    Then paint them. Hard plastic use Krylon Fusion paint. Soft vinyl (such as the dash and doors) use duplicolor. Use an Enamel clear coat (2 coats) on everything. Reassemble. Use a sponge brush for touch ups. Fabric can be dyed, but you must remove it to do it (like on the floor and headliner) It might be easier to just replace it (headliner use vinyl, floor use what ever carpet you like best).
    Seatbelts....use dye for the belt and fusion for the plastic.
    The worst thing to paint was the inner door seal. It is rubber and nothing will stick too well to it. I went to a hobby shop and got an acrylic pottery paint and it has held up best.

Good luck!
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

Incubus123
    I just decided I'm going to do the plastic parts first and wait to see if I want to take on the entire interior. I'm thinking a silver for the plastic parts, then black for the rest of the interior ((because if I decide not to do the whole interior the silver won't look goofy alone)). I just popped out 3 or 4 pieces and realized its A LOT harder than it looks... still can't get the stupid piece out of the right drivers side door with all the window controls, it just wants to stay in there.

Another question... The main part of the dash that holds the cd player and all that other junk is a darker color than the rest of the plastic parts and it seems to be a little bit smoother, will that be a problem when painting it? Will it turn out a different shade than the other parts?

Did you remove the screw from the bottom of the handle on the drivers door?

It won't make any difference. The paint is opaque (so you can't see through it)

Incubus123
    Awesome, I think I'm ready to get started. I REALLY appreciate all the help you all have given me. Thank you. I'll be sure to post my results! Thanks again.

sleepagalant
    does anyone know in a 7g is there a screw or something holding in the door handle or do i need to take the whole door panel off cuz i have been prying at them but scared to pull to hard dont want to break anything

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Josh_aka_jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did you remove the screw from the bottom of the handle on the drivers door?
    </div>

sleepagalant
    sorry man wasnt paying attention as u can see
    work has me stressed out with them cutting back and all so trying to occupy my mind

No problem. Just be sure to pop the little plastic cap off the screw and away you go.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    yah u got one and one behind the door handle, the rest are all visible
    7g for life!

IllestGalant
    it seems that everyone went through a lot more trouble than is necessary.
    If you are looking for a clean look,
    pepboys has vinyl spray paints-i used silver smoke metallic
    remove whatever trims you want to paint, clean with rubbing alcohol
    and spray paint, reinstall...done the results