The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Missing strut nuts?

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    Senior TGC Member

Missing strut nuts?

Hey guys...when we were taking the strut assembly apart the mechanic told us we were missing a nut or something under the top-most nut on the strut. If you remove the little cap you'll see a nut...that's the one we do have, but the tech said it's what's under that nut that is missing. According to the parts page they're the "back nuts" I have no idea what they are since I've never really paid attention to the 8g suspension. As a result the topmost nut sits way lower than the other strut, which has all of its pieces intact. Are they really necessary? I think he lost them while he was having the lowering springs and KYBs put in the first time. He's been driving without them for the past month with no problems yet...but if it's unsafe it's not a bad idea to spend a few dollars to fix it (I think it's under $10 bucks total for all of the nuts).
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

When I got my Progress put on I did not see another bolt other then that top one. Unless you mean the washer.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Senior TGC Member
    I see now what you mean...I took a flashlight to his strut towers. On his driver side there is a washer, 1 nut on top, and another nut on top of that one, leaving about I dunno, half a centimeter of strut metal visible. On the passenger side there is only the washer and one nut, it's missing the middle one that sits on top of the washer and it leaves about an inch and 1/5 of strut metal visible (and thus the strut cap won't fit properly over it anymore). Now can anyone confirm for me -- is the passenger side short 1 nut, or does the driver side have 1 extra it's not supposed to have? I might just have to ask the dealership to assist me in this by popping the hood of their Galant. From what you said I'm thinking the driver side has one extra nut, and looking at the diagram from the parts page it only seems to confirm this.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison