The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tightening the throttle cable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    glinx1

Tightening the throttle cable

Hey I'm new here and I can't describe how happy I am to finally find a place I could go to to find out things about my car. After reading about the modifications some of the members have made, I noticed some had the throttle cable tightened. What does this do and how can I have this done? I want to keep my 2000 Galant on the luxury tip but would also like the performance out of it. Thank you.

Big H Killa
    The TB Cable mod will improve throttle response. To do it go to Http://www.thegalantcenter.com
    n look under the tutorials

how does this help the performance of your car?
    Team TGCLV

toc8g
    Obviously you didn't go to the tutorial????? HEHEH,..it will tell you.

I did mine yesterday...what a difference...I think I can go a lil tighter though
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

does'nt your idle run higher if you do this modification?
    Team TGCLV

toc8g
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flo-dog)</div><div class='quotemain'>does'nt your idle run higher if you do this modification?</div>

Of course it will if you pull the throttle cable to tight. But if you don't and just tighten up the slack like you are supposed to then you will be A'Ok.

2002GALANTes
    I've heard from many members on the old tgc you do not want to tighten the cable to much, i would try to keep it around 7-9 rpms. just my advice.

Do it with the engine running. Then you'll know if you go too tight.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

RollinBishiStyle
    I just tightened my cable or atleast i think i did. The engine idle didnt change at all and i pulled it all the way. Did i not do it right? PLease help :cry:

Black2k1GTZ
    Yeah you did it right. Your RPM's shouldnt change. The point of this modification is to take out the slack in the cable to get a better throttle response. So you dont have to put your foot down on the pedal as far to get the desired throttle response!!!

Hope that helped...

Marc :mg:

RollinBishiStyle
    hehe, yea i fixed it, i actually pulled it the wrong way, but its all good now

i hear that when idle the car should be around 1000 rpm..is that when the car is in park..or in an actual gear? cuz i get a higher rpm when i am in either park or netral <a lil less than 1500> and when in a gear, its about 1000. should i be allowing more slack?

Senior TGC Member
    When TOC did mine at the meet my car idled at 900, but from the factory mine was usually around 700.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>i hear that when idle the car should be around 1000 rpm..is that when the car is in park..or in an actual gear? cuz i get a higher rpm when i am in either park or netral <a lil less than 1500> and when in a gear, its about 1000. should i be allowing more slack?</div>When you're in park, your idle should be around 750RPM. If it's much higher than that, your cable is too tight.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Black2k1GTZ
    Ever since the day I got my GTZ Its idled between 1000-1100 rpms even in park...And it still does now that ive got the cable tightened. So If its a little over 1000 then its not a bad thing. But being up around 1500 might be a little too much...

Marc :mg:

Supernova
    I've never heard of this little mod before. I just might have to do it soon.

I think I idle somewhere around 850-900 in park with my i-4, lower in gear, ill look tomorrow for sure

FYI, factory spec is 700 rpm +/- 50 rpm when in gear. If you do this in park, I found that in gear it's too low. You don't really want it too low. The idea is to keep your engine from dying. Oh, and make sure this is done when the engine is warm. This would be an incorrect setting if your engine is still cold.

In the old days, you set the idle just above the point of the engine dying; it didn't really matter how high the rpm was. I mean, that's the whole idea, lol.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

slim_vela
    be careful when doing this mod...factory spec for base idle is iac=7step, rpm719-750 with engine at 200-203 degrees for both 6's and 4's. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast