The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: fuel pump

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    zchb9

fuel pump

hey
    i just got a 1990 galant. it turns over but won't start i replaced the dist. cap, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. didn't fix it and i think it is the fuel pump cause the car has 136k miles. where do i find the fuel pump on this car?

MitsuChic
    You have to drop the tank I beleive.

ken inn
    on the sohc cars, the fuel pump is in the back of the fuel tank, right side. you have to jack up the car, and look underneath. on the dohc cars, you open trunk, on the left rear of the trunk, there is a black metal plate, with a wire harness. underneath that is the fuel pump assy. if the car was in the rust belt, there is a flare nut on the fuel line that is a real beyatch to remove. however, just because you are not getting fuel dont mean the pump is bad. dunno about the sohc cars, but the dohc cars have a test lead in the engine compartment, if you energize it, the pump will run. most people do not understand that the fuel pump is controlled by power from the ecu, if the ecu is not getting input from certain sensors, it will cut power to the pump. for example, if you crash the car, you dont want the pump to keep running, or it could cause a major fire. also, if there is no spark, or the ecu has cut power to the coils, it will also cut power to the pump. the ecu can cut power to the mfi relay, then, even tho the car turns over, you will not get fuel, spark, OR injector pulse. also, on the dohc cars, and i suspect also on the sohc cars, the capacitors in the ecu are fubar, and need to be changed. if not, they will leak out electrolyte, and eat thru the circuit board. usually, the first stages of this is a rapid clicking from intermittent power to the mfi relay. then, the final stage drivers for the injectors go. if your ecu smells like rotten fish, you are done. it has been my experience that ALL of the ecu's will die because of the capacitors.

zchb9
    thanks
    we got the new plugs in but the new dist. cap was upside down to the other one so we arn't sure if we have the plugs in the right spot. i know it goes 1324 is that from left to right or right to left? Im changing the fuel filter tom. I had a friend that knows a good bit about cars come over and take a look. he said that its bone dry in the engine and he can't hear the pump. could that be because the ecu isn't letting the pump go? should i change the ecu before i try the fuel pump? I know i need to change the timing belt once i get running and the oil. any other things you thing i should go ahead and make sure it works?

ConceptSleeper
    ok for the SOHC 2.0L the order is 1-3-4-2 the #1 wire is the very bottom wire on the cap(the terminal closest the the frame) the distributor rotates clockwise

the DOHC 2.0L is the same firing order and #1 wire is the second back from the front of the car.

(#1 cylinder is at drivebelt end of engine)

Rasko Da Gama
    Quote Originally Posted by ken inn
    on the sohc cars, the fuel pump is in the back of the fuel tank, right side...
    You are wrong... I have SOHC AWD, and my fuel pump is on left side of the tank. 8)

ConceptSleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasko Da Gama
    You are wrong... I have SOHC AWD, and my fuel pump is on left side of the tank. 8)
    but then again you do have one of the RARE non turbo AWD Galants, hmmm....

zchb9
    ok so you think i should try changing the ecu first? Does that require anything special? Where is it located at? Im changing the fuel filter today and hoping that it was just clogged.

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasko Da Gama
    ok, i looked in the service manual, i dont have a sohc car, they dont interest me. from the diagrams, it is on the right side of a usa car. maybe the euro or jdm cars are different. i DO know that on my vr4 and other dohc cars, the pump is accessed thru the trunk. been there, done that.

zchb9
    ok this sucks. I checked at advanced to see how much an ecu was. 400$. can i get cheaper cause if its gonna cost me alot to fix the car ill just part it out and send to the junkyard. also what about a fuel pump? bout how much will it be. i also have to replace windshield cause its cracked.

ConceptSleeper
    Raskos Galant is a European Galant i do believe correct me if im wrong Rasko, just get the ECU rebuilt(check out www.clubdsm.com there is a lot of "newbie" info on stuff that is commonly problematic such as the capacitors in the ECU leaking, and the alternator needing a rebuild, etc....best place to start(and btw advanced auto parts is expensive, try something online!!)

zchb9
    was wondering could the timing be off and causing my problems?

galantgal05
    Im havin the same problem with my car. It died on me the other day. There is a small crack in the distributor cap where the top screw goes. I sprayed the cap with WD 40. It started up, so I killed it and shut the hood. I went to start it and nothing. If it does start it shuts right off. I dont hear my fuel injectors pumping tho. There is a wire hanging from the alternator. Could that wire be a power source to the fuel pump? Also, can anyone tell me where I can find a wiring diagram online?

Thanx 4 any help

1992 Galant SOHC

have the car diagnosed professionally. since its obvious that you dont know exactly what the problem is, youll probably end up spending hundreds of dollars throwing parts at it randomly.
    there could be a dozen reasons that there is no fuel pressure.