The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Age old question: using AC vs Windows all down MPG

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Age old question: using AC vs Windows all down MPG

Its 90 degrees out now. I was wondering which uses more fuel, having windows all down or windows up AC on =)

I use to own another car and it was discussed in great detail, but I am wondering bout 8G V6's.

8) 8)
    oh yea hittin beach tomorrow lol

TWISTED II
    how could having your windows down use more fuel than having your A/C on?

Senior TGC Member
    In my opinion...windows down. With the windows down you create lots more drag. But I can't prove that it actually uses more fuel.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

i haven't really thought about which uses more gas. but usually i use up more gas with the AC just cuz i usually use the AC only when im playing driver driver with some special lady...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BXNYMitsu01

Re: Age old question: using AC vs Windows all down MPG

[quote="Gladiator"]Its 90 degrees out now. I was wondering which uses more fuel, having windows all down or windows up AC on =)

I use to own another car and it was discussed in great detail, but I am wondering bout 8G V6's.

Using the AC uses more gas, but I'll pay the extra dollars to keep cooool :kool:

tim888tim
    One of my buddies in college majoring in engineering had to determine this problem of windows vs. AC for one of his courses. They determined that at higher than 48mph, it was better to have the AC on than the windows down due to the drag effect. This is for the average car.
    One of my favorite features of the 8G is that the back windows go all the way down. This reduces the amount of drag at higher speeds since more air can flow through the unrestricted back windows. This would move the crossover closer to 55-60 mph.
    Now if you really want poor MPG and live in SoCal you can run both at the same time. (I have only seen people doing this here, although it isn't too often.)

Quote Originally Posted by tim888tim
    One of my buddies in college majoring in engineering had to determine this problem of windows vs. AC for one of his courses. They determined that at higher than 48mph, it was better to have the AC on than the windows down due to the drag effect. This is for the average car.
    One of my favorite features of the 8G is that the back windows go all the way down. This reduces the amount of drag at higher speeds since more air can flow through the unrestricted back windows. This would move the crossover closer to 55-60 mph.
    Now if you really want poor MPG and live in SoCal you can run both at the same time. (I have only seen people doing this here, although it isn't too often.)
    Ah thats nice to know, yeah I really like how the rear window goes all the way down. I guess since I will be on freeway, AC>windows down hehe

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTwistedGTZ
    hey twisted,.... there is some drag involved when having the windows donw,.....as apposed to having the A/C on.

Senior TGC Member
    Well it seems I was right after all I cheated though...I read about this in the EPA's 113 steps to reducing your fuel consumption. Raise your windows, run your a/c as seldom as you can bear, put the car in neutral when stopped if you can, don't go above 55 mph if you don't have to, running the lightest weight oil your car is allowed to handle, synthetic oils (yes, some do lubricate better and protect better, tests have proven Amsoil and Mobil 1 rank consistantly above organics but it might not be worth the cost in fuel savings if that's all you think about rather than prolonging engine life), stuff like that that no one ever bothers listening to Don't forget that body kits that aren't designed with aerodynamic flow in mind (there are some that are, just ask the Mercedes Benz owners that have Braubus kits) will kill your fuel because it too, causes drag. Anything that increases engine load increases fuel consumption, everyone knows that...it's figuring out what's adding the load that's the hard part.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

TWISTED II
    Quote Originally Posted by Los
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaTwistedGTZ
    hey twisted,.... there is some drag involved when having the windows donw,.....as apposed to having the A/C on.
    yeah, i guess at higher speeds there would be. just one of those things like on the honda comercials "when your not thinking about your car, what else are you gonna think about?" never gave it any thought.

99TBP-ES
    Interesting, I drive about 85% of all my miles on the Hwy(30 miles one way to work) I always drive with all the windows down and usually am doing 75+ on the hwy the majority of the way here. Might have to test this theory out one day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>put the car in neutral when stopped if you can</div>

Actually, I have noticed that I rev about 100 rpm lower when in gear than in neutral. Maybe my car is just weird that way.
    -Clay

2000 Kalapana Black ES V6

White 18 Katana Concept 10's.
    B&W all the way!

99TBP-ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilkyBlackES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>put the car in neutral when stopped if you can</div>

Actually, I have noticed that I rev about 100 rpm lower when in gear than in neutral. Maybe my car is just weird that way.</div>

Actually this is about right, when you are in gear the tranny(torque convertor) is actually engaged and puts a drag on the engine so your engine rpm slows down. But since there is a load on the engine, the engine will work harder to keep the rpms up so it will use more fuel. When in neutral the engine spins freely with no drag(well there is but minimal)

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well it seems I was right after all I cheated though...I read about this in the EPA's 113 steps to reducing your fuel consumption. Raise your windows, run your a/c as seldom as you can bear, put the car in neutral when stopped if you can, don't go above 55 mph if you don't have to, running the lightest weight oil your car is allowed to handle, synthetic oils (yes, some do lubricate better and protect better, tests have proven Amsoil and Mobil 1 rank consistantly above organics but it might not be worth the cost in fuel savings if that's all you think about rather than prolonging engine life), stuff like that that no one ever bothers listening to Don't forget that body kits that aren't designed with aerodynamic flow in mind (there are some that are, just ask the Mercedes Benz owners that have Braubus kits) will kill your fuel because it too, causes drag. Anything that increases engine load increases fuel consumption, everyone knows that...it's figuring out what's adding the load that's the hard part.</div>

and NO trailer hitches, cuz you shouldnt be towing any damn thing in the g-ride anyway.

saw some stupid girl on cardomain selling her G and saying the mods were including a trailer hitch for F*in jetski's!! Unbelievable what people will do to their cars.

...U N D E A D...

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilkyBlackES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, I have noticed that I rev about 100 rpm lower when in gear than in neutral. Maybe my car is just weird that way.</div>

Remember that your rpms can sometimes have no influence on your fuel consumption. Try this: For one week, just drive the car with you in it at a steady 70 mph. The next week, load your car up with a trunk and interior full of lead at a steady 70 mph. Your revs will be the same regardless, but I doubt you'll have the same fuel economy.

Windows Down. I don't use the AC at all until afer a couple hours of complaining I may but I usually ride by myself and I just roll the windows down. The vents are always open unless you close them so there is still some air flowing through there
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilkyBlackES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, I have noticed that I rev about 100 rpm lower when in gear than in neutral. Maybe my car is just weird that way.</div>

Remember that your rpms can sometimes have no influence on your fuel consumption. Try this: For one week, just drive the car with you in it at a steady 70 mph. The next week, load your car up with a trunk and interior full of lead at a steady 70 mph. Your revs will be the same regardless, but I doubt you'll have the same fuel economy.</div>

Yea thats because the energy it takes to go up to 70mph with lead is a lot.

Ahh, I guess that makes sense.
    -Clay

2000 Kalapana Black ES V6

White 18 Katana Concept 10's.
    B&W all the way!

kool imma start driving with my ac on when im on the freeway... 8) and act smart and tell about this stuff to my gf while she's with me
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>kool imma start driving with my ac on when im on the freeway... 8) and act smart and tell about this stuff to my gf while she's with me Â*:D</div>

don't do it. u don't wanna learn the hard way. u'll look smart at first. but hell, when u slow down and u turn off that AC and roll down them windows, she ain't gonna look so happy.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.