The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about CAI possibly getting wet...

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Galant Ryder

Question about CAI possibly getting wet...

i just put in my new custom CAI and its flush with the botom of the car. if i look level at the bottom of the from the front of the car to he back of it i can see about a 1/2 inch- 1/4 inch of the bottom of the filter im guessing thats how everyones CAI came out... ok my question is... is it to low and in the way of getting wet? if so how can i prevent it from getting wet? or is i going to be ok? someone please answer me before it rains again here. im a nervous wreck about this.

It's probably ok to get it wet and almost impossible to suck enough water all at once to do damage to the engine. If you got an Injen CAI, you might be able to fit their optional splash guard on. If you have AEM, you might be able to use their by-pass valve. The other option is to convert back to a shortram in wet weather. A wet filter is not going to damage your engine but will restrict some airflow.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

stormcruiser

be careful during the hard rain~

It rain hard here in nebraska few days ago...and it flooded a little bit....like 6 inches.....and I was speeding(cause I like the feeling...like riding a boat with water splashing both sides of your car~~~) and then suddenly after 5 min of boat ride~ my car stopped..engine died.......later I found out water spalahed too much inside the engine room and my filter were soaked.....I don't even have cai......I don't know how much rain the filter can withstand but I don't even have cai and my car died....took me like 10 min to start the car again. I can't be sure that it was my filter but I don't think water could of gone in through my exhaust......anyway....in my case...filter weren't as forgiving as others....so becareful during rain with cai.

Re: be careful during the hard rain~

Quote Originally Posted by stormcruiser
    It rain hard here in nebraska few days ago...and it flooded a little bit....like 6 inches.....and I was speeding(cause I like the feeling...like riding a boat with water splashing both sides of your car~~~) and then suddenly after 5 min of boat ride~ my car stopped..engine died.......later I found out water spalahed too much inside the engine room and my filter were soaked.....I don't even have cai......I don't know how much rain the filter can withstand but I don't even have cai and my car died....took me like 10 min to start the car again. I can't be sure that it was my filter but I don't think water could of gone in through my exhaust......anyway....in my case...filter weren't as forgiving as others....so becareful during rain with cai.
    So you have a short ram or just a MAS adapter with cone filter? It's possible that the filter was so wet that not enough air was going through to keep the engine running.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

its kool to get the filter wet. just make sure u don't have a shitty one that falls apart when wet. i recommend a k&n but yea to truly cause damage to your car the filter has to be fully submerged and suck up about 1 cup of water in the throttle buody while maintaining a full vaccum...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

schick
    I saw on some car show recently (don't remember which one, I think Hi-Rev Tuners) a guy from AEM demoed a bypass filter on his personal NSX.
    He said and actually showed and prooved that your filter would have to be fully submerged for a second or two to get water all the way up to the intake. (he had a clear pipe coming out of his engine bay with a cone filter on the end, you could see exactly what it looked inside)
    And yes, the AEM bypass worked flawlessly.