The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Purge Canister

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    Steveo

Purge Canister

I just recently started to get strong fumes coming from a hose from the purge canister. There is one hose coming from the purge canister that is not hooked up to anything. After I stop the car the Canister continues to humm & vibrate & this hose emits the fumes. When the canister stops humming...the fumes stop. Does this hose go to something....or is there one exhaust/overflow hose? This never happened before & only started happening immediately following a transmission rebuild. The humming is loud & the fumes strong. any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Galant 1995 65,000 miles automatic trans

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm I dont know much about it, I believe there is a control solenoid to let the vapors vent..the canister itself I think is filled with charcol to kill the fumes...When you turn the car to ON, not cranking, you should hear a loud CLICK, thats the solenoid snaping into place, maybe its stuck and thats causing a problem. Wish I could offer more help..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

IllestGalant
    it is a charcoal canister. it is used in venting out fuel vapors. the hose is the vent discharge to vent the fumes to the atmosphere. if there is a slight smell, it is normal. If you are smelling it excessively and you can smell it from in the car, then there is a problem. you want to remove the canister and inspect the canister for fuel and for broken down charcoal. if you turn the canister over and fuel or charcoal chunks come out, there is indeed a problem with your evaporative emissions system, check it out