The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: For all those with AEM or Injen CAI....

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

For all those with AEM or Injen CAI....

Hey guys. After searching various posts on this site and researching throughout the net, I'm still undecided and skeptical about installing a CAI. I'm reading conflicting info in regards to the risk of hydrolocking- some say a by pass valve is needed, others say its a waste of $$$, and also others say the lack of one caused their engine to seize. I just want to know if there was anyone on this board who has ever had a CAI cause their engine to hydrolock? Also how many are using a CAI w/o heatshield, BPV, etc. ? I'm planning on getting an AEM or Injen RD CAI, btw. Thanks guys.

Re: For all those with AEM or Injen CAI....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tonivegas82)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys. After searching various posts on this site and researching throughout the net, I'm still undecided and skeptical about installing a CAI. I'm reading conflicting info in regards to the risk of hydrolocking- some say a by pass valve is needed, others say its a waste of $$$, and also others say the lack of one caused their engine to seize. I just want to know if there was anyone on this board who has ever had a CAI cause their engine to hydrolock? Also how many are using a CAI w/o heatshield, BPV, etc. ? I'm planning on getting an AEM or Injen RD CAI, btw. Thanks guys.</div>

I have only heared of one Galant ever hydrolocking this entire time we have had this board. It wasn't due to a CAI either though. He did the flip box mod for his air intake. He was riding on bags and one blew. Parked his car in some parking lot and because he had the VIS EVO style hood the rain collected in the air box through the vent. He didn't notice it and when he finally went back to his car and started it. It hydrolocked on him. He just dryed it out and the engine was fine. This was the only time I have ever heared of a Galant hydrolocking.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Re: For all those with AEM or Injen CAI....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tonivegas82)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys. After searching various posts on this site and researching throughout the net, I'm still undecided and skeptical about installing a CAI. I'm reading conflicting info in regards to the risk of hydrolocking- some say a by pass valve is needed, others say its a waste of $$$, and also others say the lack of one caused their engine to seize. I just want to know if there was anyone on this board who has ever had a CAI cause their engine to hydrolock? Also how many are using a CAI w/o heatshield, BPV, etc. ? I'm planning on getting an AEM or Injen RD CAI, btw. Thanks guys.</div>

I have only heared of one Galant ever hydrolocking this entire time we have had this board. It wasn't due to a CAI either though. He did the flip box mod for his air intake. He was riding on bags and one blew. Parked his car in some parking lot and because he had the VIS EVO style hood the rain collected in the air box through the vent. He didn't notice it and when he finally went back to his car and started it. It hydrolocked on him. He just dryed it out and the engine was fine. This was the only time I have ever heared of a Galant hydrolocking.</div>

damn thas fucked up,, but when i think about it,, he deserved it,, cause he had all this money for Hood,, Air Ride,, but NO cash for Intake,, or MAS Adapter,, or may be this was in Dark Ages,, where we had less After Market Suppost..

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

AEM had some problem with the rubber valve's they used being sucked out of their bypass valves and into the engine.

L

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liszt)</div><div class='quotemain'>AEM had some problem with the rubber valve's they used being sucked out of their bypass valves and into the engine.

L</div>

They did have a recall awile back but that problem has been solved for awile now.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Unless your filter is submerged in water, the Bypass valve doesn't do anything. It will not prevent small droplets of water from being pulled into the intake tube from puddles and rain, etc. However, that small amount of water will likely dry up due to the heat of the intake tube before it ever reaches the TB. The bypass valve, in my experience with it is a complete waste of money.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    There's only 1 6G72 engine that I know of hydrolocked with a CAS, and it was installed on a 3G Eclipse, not a Galant. It was during tropical storm Allison; a friend of mine that lives on campus at UH killed his car by driving through a parking lot that had become a lake with an Injen CAS w/ AEM bypass valve installed. I've never hydrolocked, but my engine died after I did a similar thing with my old 4 banger Hit a lake that was occupying what used to be a bridge underpass
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallifan
    There's only 1 6G72 engine that I know of hydrolocked with a CAS, and it was installed on a 3G Eclipse, not a Galant. It was during tropical storm Allison; a friend of mine that lives on campus at UH killed his car by driving through a parking lot that had become a lake with an Injen CAS w/ AEM bypass valve installed. I've never hydrolocked, but my engine died after I did a similar thing with my old 4 banger Hit a lake that was occupying what used to be a bridge underpass
    ouch...i guess that's why they say, "Don't drive in moving water." It's because of that, or because you get float away. either way...that would be a bad day.

Thanks for the info guys. You all helped me out alot.

Supernova
    I have cai, but i'm leaving it as short ram. Don't wanna take any chances. Its louder that way anyway.

I've had my CAI on since January. Ran it without the bypass & thought I would be ok. I was wrong!!! We've had alot of rain lately in the dirty south & drove through a puddle of water about 1 1/2 months ago & the water got sucked up the CAI and the car stalled. Had to get it towed. The good thing is that it didn't mess up the engine. Had to dry out the throttle body and every thing was fine. Last week got caught in a flash rain shower & the same thing happened again. Had to get it towed for a second time. After that I changed mine to a short ram. If you going to get the CAI, be safe & buy the bypass.
    Cleared corners
    clear sidemarkers
    Diablo M3 twin LED side mirrors
    Fog light rewire
    Eibach ProKit springs
    KYB Struts
    CP Racing CAI
    Vibrant Type V strut bar
    18" chrome Alba Blaze w/Wan Li 225/40ZR18
    RAZO H4 Premium White (135w/125w)
    Hiper 1157 (35w/5w)
    Nokya 893 Artic White
    6.8" TFT video monitor installed in glovebox
    Two 5" TFT headrest monitors
    DVD player
    PS2
    Kenwood head unit w/10 disk changer
    MA Audio 6.5 components
    MA Audio 6X9
    12" Audiobahn sub (1)
    Phoenix Gold 4 channel amp
    MA Audio mono class D amp
    Checkout the ride
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/440351/1

Quote Originally Posted by TheNiteRider99
    I've had my CAI on since January. Ran it without the bypass & thought I would be ok. I was wrong!!! We've had alot of rain lately in the dirty south & drove through a puddle of water about 1 1/2 months ago & the water got sucked up the CAI and the car stalled. Had to get it towed. The good thing is that it didn't mess up the engine. Had to dry out the throttle body and every thing was fine. Last week got caught in a flash rain shower & the same thing happened again. Had to get it towed for a second time. After that I changed mine to a short ram. If you going to get the CAI, be safe & buy the bypass.
    Let me explain why the bypass valve wouldn't have done crap in your situation. Your filter was never fully submerged. So it was still sucking air through the filter end. The ONLY way the bypass valve will open is when the intake can't suck air through the filter. The vacuum created by the intake truing to suck air unsuccessfully will cause the spring rubber on the bypass valve to open and air will be sucked in there. Otherwise, it doesn't open, period!! So as I said, unless your filter is completely submerged and can't suck air at all, the bypass valve is a complete waste of money and time.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.