The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SMOG and new Headers, ?'s for California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    It may be cheaper at You Pull It or Pick and Pull. I wouldn't try recyclers, like M&S, they will rip you off and charge you close to brand new prices for their used products. I mean if it's only to pass smog, why buy brand new?

well,

here's the deal.

I figure I'll get a old MR2 for like 2 grand, pay the dude his money, get the title in my name, register the thing, pay the sales tax and transfer fee and be done with it. I've always wanted an old mr2 so this'll prob. work out for the best assuming the thing doesn't break dead. I'm gonna get a carfax unlimited thing the check the vins and then also check the smog record. I'll probably take my g ride to pno status with the dmv, park that shit on the curb and part it out to the new ride.

Peace,

D

Let me know the vin # and I can run it for you and send you the results. My friend gave me access to his carfax.com account and it's unlimited until 05.28.05

when does the engine light come on? when u change headers or? .. is that the reason we do not pass the smog here in cali.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>when does the engine light come on? </div>

when the on board diagnostics system in the car senses something is wrong with the car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>when u change headers or? </div>

it can happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>is that the reason we do not pass the smog here in cali.</div>

there are many ways to fail smog in cali. from having the light, to removing emission control devices, to even installing non CARB approved parts on your car.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Let me know the vin # and I can run it for you and send you the results. Â*My friend gave me access to his carfax.com account and it's unlimited until 05.28.05</div>

thanks, I'll let you know.

My registration is good on the Galant until 09/08/2005 so I'll be looking for a car prob. around august, which is still 4 months away. Hopefully I'll have enough saved up then for something decent. And since the fed just rased the interest rates and it's expected that they will remain rising until some later time paying cash'll be good for me.

Thanks again,

Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Let me know the vin # and I can run it for you and send you the results. Â*My friend gave me access to his carfax.com account and it's unlimited until 05.28.05</div>

JT2AW15C8K0148839

see if you can check that for me, thx

d

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liszt)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Let me know the vin # and I can run it for you and send you the results. Â*My friend gave me access to his carfax.com account and it's unlimited until 05.28.05</div>

JT2AW15C8K0148839

see if you can check that for me, thx

d</div>

I just ran this vin on

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx

and it shows all p's

well, I've done some more research,

ca has a thing called the BAR, bureau of auto. repair.

I guess you can retire your vehicle if you have a "qualifying smog check failure" and you meet the requirements on section 6 of that thing. It seems the only wavy things are the qualifying smog check failure, what does that mean and would I qualify, and also the fact about the "exhaust system is present" does that mean oem or just a system?????????

Considering the line of work I'm going to be getting into, maybe accounting, business, it's really unethical of me to get the car smogged at a place that will just do it and look the other way. Really, if I did that I would be bypassing our democratic system and making a decision about air quality for all of us without letting your voice be heard. It's more responsible of me to want to get to carb approval on aftermarket parts for a car that acutally has carb aftermarket parts available in the aftermarket marketplace. So what I'm saying is that the 4000 or 3000 I need to fix this junk is too much to get to carb levels, so the dmv says that they send out registration renewals 60 days before the current one expires and I need that renewal to get into the retirement program. That puts me at July 10th for retirement proceedings to begin. So what am I gonna do in the mean time. Well, I'll get my mvr, scope out new insurance and a new ride, pay for ins, pay for car, pay transfer fee, pay use tax, and that's it.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Liszt
    well, I've done some more research,

ca has a thing called the BAR, bureau of auto. repair.

I guess you can retire your vehicle if you have a "qualifying smog check failure" and you meet the requirements on section 6 of that thing. It seems the only wavy things are the qualifying smog check failure, what does that mean and would I qualify, and also the fact about the "exhaust system is present" does that mean oem or just a system?????????

Considering the line of work I'm going to be getting into, maybe accounting, business, it's really unethical of me to get the car smogged at a place that will just do it and look the other way. Really, if I did that I would be bypassing our democratic system and making a decision about air quality for all of us without letting your voice be heard. It's more responsible of me to want to get to carb approval on aftermarket parts for a car that acutally has carb aftermarket parts available in the aftermarket marketplace. So what I'm saying is that the 4000 or 3000 I need to fix this junk is too much to get to carb levels, so the dmv says that they send out registration renewals 60 days before the current one expires and I need that renewal to get into the retirement program. That puts me at July 10th for retirement proceedings to begin. So what am I gonna do in the mean time. Well, I'll get my mvr, scope out new insurance and a new ride, pay for ins, pay for car, pay transfer fee, pay use tax, and that's it.

D
    do what you want, but that seems rather extreme.

btw, since you are just getting into business and accounting, you will soon learn that nothing is black and white; there is ALOT of grey out there. don't take this as an insult but you sound like you are going to be a good IRS auditor. i own my own business... and business, real business, is as far from black and white as day is from nite. good luck w/ your ethics and sense of responsibilty; you will make a good employee since it's rare that anyone sticks to their ideals when everyone else is successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12