The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Selling my turbo stuff, getting a cyclone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    fstrthnu
    Ken inn, I did a search on those forums and everywhere else and had no luck finding a diagram or anything for putting on a cyclone intake. I don't know, maybe I'm retarted or something. :x . Could you please send me something or give me your number so I can give you call? b/c I'm lost right now and I need to figure this out before this weekend when the engine is going in. Thanks for your help. -John

i have a diagram set up which would work based on physics, but the only thing i don't know is if the white canister can handle as much boost as i want to throw at it the opposite way as it should be going. i'll post it, but it won't be tested until i get home, which won't be till the 28th

HiperSilver
    cyclone comes with a soleniod that is mounted on the firewall I THINK**
    Most times it does not come with the engine and its a pretty stupid setup. cuz all the dsm guys i know that buy these engines switch to a 1g manifold.

ken inn
    i run 18 lbs boost on my car, the cannister has held up so far. most guys are just looking for top end power, that is why they dont use the cyclone. also, it takes a bit more work to install it and get it operating properly, and then all it does is increase low end power, driveability, and fuel economy. i got 18 lbs boost on a ported big 16g, evo 560's, hks cams, yada, yada, i got more top end that i will even need. i like the added benefits of the cyclone, and i dont race the car. heck, i am even thinking about removing the hks cams.

hmm, i'm planning on running around 22-25psi on the street, it was running 19psi with no knock, and the fuel pressure turned way down, so i should be okay. except now i have to worry about the stock headgasket. if all the canister does is act as a one-way valve and a vacuum reservoir, a manual boost controller is the same thing except it has a bleeder hole. so if you eliminate the bleeder hole, it should act the same. the reason i want to use this is because 1. i can't reach that damn white canister now that my engine is mounted, and 2. i have an extra mbc sitting around collecting dust. did you notice a difference in spool-up? that's the primary reason i want to hook it up. gas mileage doesn't hurt either though, although i'm still a bit boost-happy

fstrthnu
    Sabzi, do I just need the harness that plugs into the ecu or the WHOLE engine harness? B/c I just found a rebuilt 1g ecu for 125 and the harness that plugs into it for 45.

Also, does anybody know what the difference between 1990 and 1991 ecu's? B/c the part numbers are different. Maybe different sensors or something? Which should I get? Which one does sabzi have?

fstrthnu
    Oh, and thank you ken inn for the diagram. It answered all of my questions.

you need the part of the harness that plugs into the ecu, the old fuse box etc stays. you can get either ecu, just get the same year harness, or you'll have to switch pins 6 & 14. i have a '90 awd ecu and harness. also, make sure the harness is not cut, you'll need most of the connectors.

there are a lot of dirrerent ecu part numbers, see http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ECUs.html from vfaq.com, if you have your part numbers, you can see what exactly they're from. oh, i also have a federal ecu, the ca ecu might have emissions requirements, but i'm not shure. i didn't want to deal with it and got a fed spec to begin with. 3/89-6/90 - MD145903 is what i have.

ken inn
    the reason the mbc will not work is because it will not collect vacuum. the blue/white cannister holds vacuum, and also dampens out the pulses. if you attach a vacuum gauge to the cannister, you will see vacuum change very smoothly, and not a lot. if you read vacuum off of the intake, it is jumping all over the place, and this will make the butterflies flap like real butterfly wings.

an mbc should hold vacuum if it doesn't have a bleeder hole drilled into the wastegate side nipple, that's what the hole is for, so that the wastegate can close again after it's been opened. an in-line filter should be able to dampen the change from boost to vacuum.. well, i'll see, i'm going to try to test it for the guys who don't have the white canister.. besides, i don't even wanna try to reach that stupid canister while it's under the intake manifold and in the engine bay.

my diagram is here http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289...220745351&idx=1 do you think it would work if you switch the mbc with the white canister? i mean, can you think of any problems presented by this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12