The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: stock 4cyl. Front wheel dyno results?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 57
    Fasttech

stock 4cyl. Front wheel dyno results?

Fast galant tech

Senior TGC Member
    Were you looking for a dyno result or were you trying to post? Hehe...I believe 4 bangers usually come in at around 109 whp and 117-ish torque at the wheels.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Supernova
    I thought they were at about 140 HP? At least thast what it said on the Mitsibishi site.

00GTZ00
    They are rated at 150 crank hp ( could be wrong) but when you dyno them they will show the car making about 110ish hp at the front wheels.

Tazz2000
    I never got how they measured that. I know 140 horses could run faster than my car can go. or so it seems some times.

Black2k1GTZ
    The ratings the put out for cars are rated at the crank. Alot of cars loose alot of power getting it on to the ground. My guys 300m is rated at 205 hp...and his was dynod at like 150 something at the wheels. They do it to make the cars seem more powerful...I mean who would have bought there Galant if it was rated at 110hp????????

Marc :mg:

Tiller
    110whp...? man, i don't see that car beating anything on the road...? Holy crap, that's pretty bad...

i'll tell you what though... that loaner i get from the dealer is only an I4, but it sure does move when you drive it like you stole it...

140-145hp roughly (at the crank)

Since our cars are FWD and automatic we can expect a parasitic power loss of anywhere from 20%-25%. Meaning that roughly we should be putting 108hp-116hp give or take a few depending on the car to the ground. Not powerful by any means, but compare that to a Civic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>110whp...? man, i don't see that car beating anything on the road...? Holy crap, that's pretty bad...

i'll tell you what though... that loaner i get from the dealer is only an I4, but it sure does move when you drive it like you stole it... </div>

damn skippy :thumbsup: i love my I4 soooo much room to work in the engine bay its really nice

I can't wait to get headers or something else its sooo easy to get to

Tiller
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>140-145hp roughly (at the crank)

Â*Not powerful by any means, but compare that to a Civic
    </div>

the only arguament that i can make to that is look at the weight difference... the Civic weighs in at about 300-400 pounds less than the Galant... that makes quite a difference...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>140-145hp roughly (at the crank)

Â*Not powerful by any means, but compare that to a Civic
    </div>

the only arguament that i can make to that is look at the weight difference... the Civic weighs in at about 300-400 pounds less than the Galant... that makes quite a difference...</div>
    I'm having trouble comparing my car to a Civic because they're always behind me...losing

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    thats it? thats friggin sad man now i gota do a lota shit 110 thats preety pathetic DAMN thats bad news to mei actualy thought it was near 140
    - Atba

None of you should feel bad. Everyone's HP rating is crank HP, so you should not feel bad b/c it's not that far a difference when comparing to other 4's. Besides, a 2.4l is a big 4. What you need to do to even the playing field is get more HP (or torque) out of your ride and/or take more weight off so it's close or lighter than the competition.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Senior TGC Member
    Aye...just like TJC says it's the way to go. The new 4 banger Altimas are able to match our V6 performance because of its hp/weight ratio.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

MnGalant
    Dont feel bad about 110 thats pretty good for a 4cyl auto. Civic put out 88 and that a manual. And the power between the four and the six is not that much when u think about it. On dyno its around 40 to 50 horse difference, but u have to think about the weight of the 6 is 200 to 300 pounds more. Once headers and intake are on the four you are pretty close to the six.

remember there is no replacement for displacement. and yea the i4's in the galant and the eclipse are pretty big. but also remember that the galant weren't made for going fast. it was made as more as a family car, godo fuel economy, and yea compare it to other 4's and 110/140 is alot for a non aspirated car. ov course amny of us here don't care about good fuel economy. we want power and speed. and doing things like opening the restrictive exhaust, increasing the air intake, getting the drivetrain upgraded for more efficiency and yea you'll see that 140, but at the wheels and in many cases surpass that 140

i mean how many people are gonna buy a family car that is like hella loud at crusiing speeds, gots the bling blings everywhere, and gets like 20 miles to the gallon. anyways, thats whats mods are for, to personalize our cars to our taste, not the typical american

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by MnGalant
    Dont feel bad about 110 thats pretty good for a 4cyl auto. Civic put out 88 and that a manual. And the power between the four and the six is not that much when u think about it. On dyno its around 40 to 50 horse difference, but u have to think about the weight of the 6 is 200 to 300 pounds more. Once headers and intake are on the four you are pretty close to the six.
    keep telling yourdself that bud...! maybe you'll start to believe it...

the 6 puts down more power than the 4 makes period...

Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    remember there is no replacement for displacement. and yea the i4's in the galant and the eclipse are pretty big. but also remember that the galant weren't made for going fast. it was made as more as a family car, godo fuel economy, and yea compare it to other 4's and 110/140 is alot for a non aspirated car. ov course amny of us here don't care about good fuel economy. we want power and speed. and doing things like opening the restrictive exhaust, increasing the air intake, getting the drivetrain upgraded for more efficiency and yea you'll see that 140, but at the wheels and in many cases surpass that 140

i mean how many people are gonna buy a family car that is like hella loud at crusiing speeds, gots the bling blings everywhere, and gets like 20 miles to the gallon. anyways, thats whats mods are for, to personalize our cars to our taste, not the typical american
    i'd like to see ONE dynop of a NA four banger without any internal work, that's putting down 140hp...

I/H/E is only going to net you 15-20 at the most on the 4... isn't it... the Kami header will free up 10-12 hp, or am i mistaken...? show me the dynos...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6

i'd like to see ONE dynop of a NA four banger without any internal work, that's putting down 140hp...

I/H/E is only going to net you 15-20 at the most on the 4... isn't it... the Kami header will free up 10-12 hp, or am i mistaken...? show me the dynos...
    well i also said drivetrain like thru the torque converter and the automatic tranny. woo hoo that takes away alot of the power. it can be done...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

00GTZ00
    Sorry but I am with tiller here.....I want to see a stock dyno of a I4. Then one with I/E (which is what most people get first) Without extensive work will the I4 get to the power of the V6. Again I will never belive it until I see a dyno of a N/A I4 that can put down 150 hp on the dyno. In the Sport Compact Car mag about 3-4 months ago they started performace upgrades on a Neon ( don't know to much about this car, what model it was etc. ) But after a cat-back and a intake it made an extra 6 hp (maybe 8) on the dyno. I will try to find that artical tonight and get it over here..

here ya go
    a link to their project Neon http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectc...02scc_projneon/

and after all their "basic" engine upgrades the only got 126 hp up form 110 on the 2.0L 150 hp engine

Senior TGC Member
    I also think that the so called "weight advantage" of the 4 banger isn't really all that advantageous...the V6 has a power to weight ratio of 7.3, while the 4 banger, though lighter, is at 9.3, not really all that advantageous after all. Otherwise why the heck build a V6 with 190ish hp right? As for the auto tranny robbing hp...it seems that having a sportronic isn't that much better at transfering power to the ground, it just allows you to change shift points. An Eclipse GT dyno with CAI and exhaust came in at 153 hp and torque, just about the same as our Galant autos (Just an example look at 00GTZ00's dyno results...pretty much the same non? Then again he does have a Fed spec Galant). Either our cars really don't benefit that much from aftermarket intake/exhausts or Cali spec really is much lower after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast