The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Warning Lights on...What Could be Wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    maggyban81

Warning Lights on...What Could be Wrong?

THe brake, oil,and battery lights stay on after I start my car. The person whom I bought it from says that it might be a short circuit. WHat do you think? Is this a common problem with Glants? How can I go about fixing this problem? Everything seems to work normal to me....but I really need some advice.

I have a '96 S type Galant with 99k miles.

xero260
    check your fuses to see if they are good and check to see if your battery wires are all secured well.....i dont know what else it could if your car runs all right, unless its the CPU, which might have loose wires, or be damaged

maggyban81
    What is the CPU in the car and where is it located?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Check the altenator too, sometime all those little lights come on when the altenator or battery is bout to take a crap.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Moosh
    Have your alternator checked out

maggyban81
    the car was parked for about 2 years. could i try to like disconnect the battery and reconnect it and see if it will reset the circuit? how long would i have to disconnect it to reset the circuit?

Damn parked for 2 yrs, have you ever tried to start it within that time, now it defenately sounds like a battery, or altenator problem. Damn 2 yrs dude? :shock:

Livn2sk8
    Ok, do this, disconnect your battery, for about half an hour....then go back....I'm pretty sure, it will reset in about 15min. but half an hour gives you time to kick back, grab some iced tea....anyways.....re attach the battery, start her up....if you have A/C, put her on full blast and push the recirculate button on....now let her idle for about 5-10 min. revv her up a bit...and let her learn how to idle. On my car, I have to do this for a few min. and then turn off the A/C, and let her learn how to idle while it is off...pretty annoying to me...since I work on my car every weekend...not that she needs it...but I just enjoy it...

Ok, now if she is idling fine, and the lights are still on:

Start her up, pop that hood, and disconnect your battery, if within ...what? 2 min. she dies....you need a new alternator....if she keeps running fine...then it's not your alternator...and that's one less thing that you need to replace...

if you haven't taken the previous advice....Check Your Fuses....under the hood, and under the dash....

Good Luck!!!

xero260
    the cpu stands for computer which is located under the box in the armrest, which controlls all the electronic functions your car does

maggyban81
    i just bought the car, but the guy who owned it before had two other cars, so he did not drive it. i have not seen any battery problems with the car except that there is a little white battery corrosion (sp?) on the battery, which i cleaned off. it starts up everytime i turn the key.

remember that my oil light and my brake lights are also on as well, that is why i am wondering if it is a short circuit or something

i always thought that box under the arm rest was for the abs brakes or so i thought. kool beans

your alternator isnt working for some reason.
    it could be a missing belt, a failing alternator, or even a fusible link.
    have i checked out professionally if you are unaware as to how to inspect all these items.

Livn2sk8
    could just be the voltage regulator.....simple part that makes the alternator pretty much seem useless......

Ya but if it is the regulator whats the point in fixing it just get a new altenator and be done with it.

maggyban81
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    your alternator isnt working for some reason.
    it could be a missing belt, a failing alternator, or even a fusible link.
    have i checked out professionally if you are unaware as to how to inspect all these items.
    how do you know that the alternator is dying if my battery is not?

the alternator belt is not missing, i see it on the car.

doesn't autozone give free alternator inspection?

I am now in Virginia, (for the next two weeks where i bought the car), but i want to drive 6 hrs back to Columbia, SC. What is the worse case scenario for me if my alternator is dead while i am driving back?

Ya they do but you gotta take it off i think and bring it there. Here in NY they roll the machine outside and check it out.

Livn2sk8
    start your car.....disconnect the battery....if it continues to run...it is NOT your alternator.......takes like 2 minutes....if it dies.......then it IS your alternator....you don't even have to leave home....all you need is a wrench to disconnect your battery......

tru tru

Quote Originally Posted by Livn2sk8
    start your car.....disconnect the battery....if it continues to run...it is NOT your alternator.......takes like 2 minutes....if it dies.......then it IS your alternator....you don't even have to leave home....all you need is a wrench to disconnect your battery......
    never, EVER disconnect the battery while the car is running. ESPECIALLY if you think you have a damaged alternator.

Just take it to a shop, and let them check it out. They should be able to tell you in a matter of minutes what the problem is.

Livn2sk8
    why is this "Manybrews"....haha seriously, 99% of the time, your advice seems very helpful and knowledgeable...but 4 out of 5 mechanics that I've spoken to.....see nothing wrong with what I said...in fact....the way I learned that...was from a master mechanic.....a guy who could listen to a car, and tell you what was wrong with it....(slight exaggeration, but you get my point)....

I do not know of your occupation, or automobile background, nor do I know you on a personal basis, so please do not be offended by my inquisition, just simply asking a question

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast