The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Parts list for DIY 4G64 turbocharging

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 48
    Mindless

Parts list for DIY 4G64 turbocharging

We should have that as a sticky or somewhere important. I've know about Curt's site for years now. Actually, I saw his car yesterday at the DSM Shootout.

brandon
    Okay, since I'm dumb and trying to learn, help a brotha out...

On the parts list, it has the following:

4G63T Exhaust Manifold (Ported 2g Preferred)
    4G63T O2 Sensor Housing (Ported 2g Preferred)
    4G63T Downpipe - 2G FWD (aftermarket or custom 2.5" - 3" preferred)

*and then says:

2.5"-3" Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe
    2.5"-3" Cat-Back exhaust System

My question is, what is the "exhaust manifold" defined as?

I'm guessing we need to keep our header, and then bolt on the 4G63T downpipe and initial piping to the cat (don't we have two cats??), and then have a custom made cat-back exhaust done at a shop. Am I in the right neighborhood?

Thanks.

I just printed that tutorial and the Tutorial DJ galant posted,,,, I gonna start doing my homework on this. I figure if this is possible for a relatively low price, why not at least try it. So I doing my homework now and hope fully soon I will have the balls to do this on my own.

brandon
    Also... is a header a waste of money if you're going turbo? I know usually if you're going all motor everyone suggests you buy an aftermarket header... what about for a turbo setup?

If it's worthwhile to buy a header, then just getting a 4G63T/Eclipse header and downpipe would work bolting to a 2G exhaust manifold, right?

brandon
    I think I just answered my own question... the header that bolts up to the 4G64 is the one made for the 4G63, not 4G63T, correct?

I was on the RRE site and noticed they offer a GReddy header, but it's for the 420A...

EDIT: Or, am I completely off and the manifold actually IS the header and so forth??

HELP ME. haha

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    u cannot have headers w/ turbo. u will need a turbo exhaust manifold and ditch the stock one 8)
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    This comes up every so often so I am going to STICK it in the performance forum.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

brandon
    So, next questions are...

If I get a 4G63T exhaust manifold (which I'm assuming is everything up to the cat), will it bolt right up to everything or will I have to bring it to a shop to have the manifold bolt up to the existing cat?

Would it be wise of me to buy the 4G63T manifold, a high flow cat made for the 4G63T, and then do a custom cat-back at a shop?

Lastly, with a turbo exhaust manifold and no turbo, how much loss of power am I looking at due to the lesser amount of backpressure?

You guys rock.

u cant use a turbo exhaust mani on a nt car. the 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to our head, so u either have to have a custom downpipe made or use a 4g63t downpipe and redo ur exhaust
    7g for life!

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    u cant use a turbo exhaust mani on a nt car. the 4g63t turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to our head, so u either have to have a custom downpipe made or use a 4g63t downpipe and redo ur exhaust
    So now you lost me...

The turbo exhaust manifold bolts up to the head where?

For a step by step, the best way would be for me to do a cat back now, and then when I'm ready for the turbo, swap the exhaust manifold at that point, correct?

id wait for the cat back, so u can use the 4g63t downpipe then install the cat back accordingly

ok man, take off ur heat shield, under that is ur exhaust manifold...to turbo, u must take your stock exhaust mani off and replace it w/ a turbo exhaust manifold, then the turbo bolts onto the exhaust manifold
    7g for life!

brandon
    So would I be able to put the 4G63T manifold on, get the custom downpipe, attach that to the cat, do cat-back, and not slap a turbo on it?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I've never seen a turbo manifold before.

Thanks for your patience Seth!

7g for life!

Brandon,

Seriously bro, go spend some time looking under the hoods of turbo'd talons/eclipse.

You need to understand the flow of a turbo system because we're just confusing you.

Non Turbo Car = Filter to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold to

Turbo'd Car = Filter to turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to turbo exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo to o2 housing (if internal wastegate), o2 housing to downpipe, downpipe to catalytic converter, catalytic converter to your muffler

Mindless
    props to whoever made this a sticky.

redboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse
    We should have that as a sticky or somewhere important. I've know about Curt's site for years now. Actually, I saw his car yesterday at the DSM Shootout.
    what does his car run????

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse

Turbo'd Car = Filter to turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body, throttle body to intake manifold, intake manifold to head, head to turbo exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo to o2 housing (if internal wastegate), o2 housing to downpipe, downpipe to catalytic converter, catalytic converter to your muffler
    That's what I needed, and thanks for the pics Seth.

Time to start finding parts...

brandon
    New question time (you know you love it):

When buying the turbo exhaust manifold, say stock mani from a 2G eclipse, what size turbos will fit it?

Gir
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>New question time (you know you love it):

When buying the turbo exhaust manifold, say stock mani from a 2G eclipse, what size turbos will fit it?</div>

T25 flanged Turbos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast