The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing over to synthetic oil

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Changing over to synthetic oil

Aigght guys/girls im changing my oil next weekend and i want to use synthetic oil. But i have a few questions.
    1. ive been using reg. oil for 4yrs. now should i use the blended synthetic or just change completely to full synthetic.

2. I've been using Castrol oil 10w 30, should i cont. using Castrol (but synthetic) or swithch to Mobil 1 synthetic.

3.Do i have to get a different kind of oil filter or does the same ones for reg. oil work.
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating

8ggalant
    from what ive been told its just a regular oil change....u can use the same type of filter u've been using....brand is up to u...it wont hurt to switch to mobil 1 or u can juss use castrol syntec...but another thing ive been told is once u go synthetic u shouldnt go back to conventiional oils(dont know remember why) and DO NOT mix regular oil with synthetic (if yer runnin low or sumthin)....hope this helps...tho realize im not ASE certified so u could take what i have to say as a grain of salt....

Dre
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ggalant
    from what ive been told its just a regular oil change....u can use the same type of filter u've been using....brand is up to u...it wont hurt to switch to mobil 1 or u can juss use castrol syntec...but another thing ive been told is once u go synthetic u shouldnt go back to conventiional oils(dont know remember why) and DO NOT mix regular oil with synthetic (if yer runnin low or sumthin)....hope this helps...tho realize im not ASE certified so u could take what i have to say as a grain of salt....
    From what little I know, I agree with 8ggalant, and it is better to go fully synthetic. There are arguments for and against, but I have been on full synthetic since my second oil change (first change was to blended for no special reason), and am very happy (2.5 years later). Therefore:

1) Go to full synthetic, if at all possible.
    2) The type of synthetic is your choice...although there are some exceptional synthetics out there.
    3) I think that a lot of people believe that Mobile 1 is among the best filters out there.

One thing to add: This has been discussed before. Use the Search button for more ideas on using synthetics. That should also help out.

semi-synthetics are useless.

and you wont hurt a thing by swapping over. synthetic and petrolium oils are totally compatable.

galant2003

Re:

I just made the switch on a new 2003 Galant. Changed the oil at 850 miles and hoping to go 10,000 between oil changes. I used the Mobil 1 Synthetic and Mobil 1 oil filter.

you can switch back and forth between regular and synthetic and nothing bad will happen. Never tried Castrol but I assume they're all pretty much the same. I just prefer Mobil.

Also, just use the same grade you've been using, 10w-30

Dre, how long do you go between oil changes?

Dre

Re:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant2003)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just made the switch on a new 2003 Galant. Changed the oil at 850 miles and hoping to go 10,000 between oil changes. I used the Mobil 1 Synthetic and Mobil 1 oil filter.

you can switch back and forth between regular and synthetic and nothing bad will happen. Never tried Castrol but I assume they're all pretty much the same. I just prefer Mobil.

Also, just use the same grade you've been using, 10w-30

Dre, how long do you go between oil changes?</div>

I go between 6000 and 7500 miles using AMSOIL XL-7500.

SCortes
    Don't really know much about the topic, but can't hurt to mention to throw a bit in. Just know that whatever your car does it will do more with synthetic. If there's a leak, the it will leak more, etc. It's like a gift/curse deal. But from what I've heard, if everything is on point the syn. is the way to go.

you CANNOT go longer between oil changes with synthetic.
    the reason for changin oil is to get rid of the debris and acids that build up from normal use. using synthetic does NOT eliminate this, nor does it slow the creation of these.
    you MUST change the oil every 3000 miles with synthetic exactly as you would with standard oil.
    the only exception is if you actually put your car through light use, which extends the interval regardless of what type of oil you use.
    no exceptions.

Dre
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you CANNOT go longer between oil changes with synthetic.
    the reason for changin oil is to get rid of the debris and acids that build up from normal use. Â*using synthetic does NOT eliminate this, nor does it slow the creation of these.
    you MUST change the oil every 3000 miles with synthetic exactly as you would with standard oil.
    the only exception is if you actually put your car through light use, which extends the interval regardless of what type of oil you use.
    no exceptions.</div>

Okay! Not a hard adjustment for me at all. 8)