The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The "Electric supercharger"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 45
    Thanks Matt. I just received my CAI this afternoon.

I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL FROM FAST AIR CO.
    The FAST Air Filter comes with a standard brace clamp. Please be advised that it can be installed on a 2.75" but it is not guaranteed to stay on securely. A simple adaptor can be purchased at your local performance shop to better secure the Air Filter in place.

Thank You,
    FAST Co.

Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    Thanks Matt. I just received my CAI this afternoon.

I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL FROM FAST AIR CO.
    The FAST Air Filter comes with a standard brace clamp. Please be advised that it can be installed on a 2.75" but it is not guaranteed to stay on securely. A simple adaptor can be purchased at your local performance shop to better secure the Air Filter in place.

Thank You,
    FAST Co.
    first of all, RRE has the transition piece for 2.75" to 3" but its pricey. probably wont' work since the filter end is soft right and the silicon is soft.

i have an another idea though. maybe u can visit ur muffler shop or something and see if they have a 2.75" to 3" adaptor piece and maybe they can weld that onto the end of the pipe so u can have that 3 inch opening. hell, u can probably find that piece @ the local auto parts store and just bont the pipe and the adaptor with some JB weld...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

What would be wrong with using some masking tape and wrap that crap around the end of the tube until it's a .25" thick and then secure the filter?

The filter is at least 3" long where it needs to connect and overlap on the tube. I'm assuming that if the tape was wrapped thick enough that the tube would fit snug enough and then when clamped down... It should stay.

What would be wrong with using some masking tape and wrap that crap around the end of the tube until it's a .25" thick and then secure the filter?

The filter is at least 3" long where it needs to connect and overlap on the tube. I'm assuming that if the tape was wrapped thick enough that the tube would fit snug enough and then when clamped down... It should stay.
    i don't see nothign wrong with that. i'd probably use duct tape or something just because masking tape isn't sticky enough for me lol. but that reminds me. the plumbing shop has some kind of sticky rubber sheets that they use for the same exact problem u have. maybe its an option. more proper ghetto rigging i say

Alister_McRae
    Are the Injen CAI 3" in dia for the 4 cyl?

BlueESV6
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6

i don't see nothign wrong with that. i'd probably use duct tape or something just because masking tape isn't sticky enough for me lol. but that reminds me. the plumbing shop has some kind of sticky rubber sheets that they use for the same exact problem u have. maybe its an option. more proper ghetto rigging i say

How about aluminum tape (width of duct tape, but aluminum) or what I call F-4 tape.... it's rubberized tape that chemically seals to itself and would hold up to heat and everything else... became popular for fixing F-4's in the service...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueESV6

i know that stuff. thats my most favorite kinda tape. 5 dollars a roll. the reason i jsut say use duct tape is because its thicker and easier to work with. i mean alluminum tape has that paper backing to it blah blah blah. but yea thats bgr and i guess he can use whatever tape he can find.

How about aluminum tape (width of duct tape, but aluminum) or what I call F-4 tape.... it's rubberized tape that chemically seals to itself and would hold up to heat and everything else... became popular for fixing F-4's in the service...

more proper ghetto rigging i say
    Using the tape to make the filter fit isn't that ghetto. It wouldn't even be showing, unlike PANTYHOSE or COFFEE FILTER, or better yet DRY CLEANER HOSE. No offense to those that have this setup. It has crossed all our minds once or twice and if it hadn't, it has now.

more proper ghetto rigging i say
    Using the tape to make the filter fit isn't that ghetto. It wouldn't even be showing, unlike PANTYHOSE or COFFEE FILTER, or better yet DRY CLEANER HOSE. No offense to those that have this setup. It has crossed all our minds once or twice and if it hadn't, it has now.
    o...im kool wtih ghetto rigging. every1 knows that. im just saying that the plumbing stuff was made to be a spacer in cases like yours but for plumbing adn yea tape is for holding stuff together. but yea in my case, if its was someone else's intake, i'd use the plumbing stuff. and if it was mine, well, tape it is...and hell i'd even tape the filter down to make sure it doesn't fall off hahaha

An $80+ filter would be bad to loose. I'm still feeling the effects of losing my muffler silencer and I don't want to pay $50+ for another one because that's almost half the price of a new muffler AND silencer. I'd rather spend $50 on something else.

When it comes to Ghetto Riggin', we all got to be resourceful when it come to our Galants. Didn't I coin that term? I said Ghetto Rig because what I was used to hearing started with an N and I didn't appreciate hearing that shit.

ozkrow
    well the tape will begin to breakdown over time....so your filter will begin to loosen up and u might not even notice it until its too late!

CliptheApex
    i got my hands on an electric supercharger and a performance shop in town is currently making me a bracket so it will fit. they said this thing will create like 1lb of boost and i should see like around 10 HP, which is cool with me considering i got the SC for free.

Well why don't you get me a free one too!!!!

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

CliptheApex
    ha, we do thangs dirte' in da ville

LOL. Yea thats 'cause of all that horseshit y'all got down there in the 'ville. Got some damned good strip joints though...

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

What's the final verdict on this thing? I've told another member these are usually scams.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

The dyno looks good with it on but wonder what a K&N cone filter versus one fitted with this Fast-air would be like. In their dyno, it only shows the difference between it on and off. How do we know that when it is off that it isn't causing any restrictions or performance loss say compared to a K&N cone filter. As someone commented about the quality of the turbine it's composite (composite of what alloys?) and even in their FAQ, they talked around it. Even though they say there is no restrictions in the intake pipe itself b/c the fan is in the filter, well what about the restriction in the filter. I noticed that they chose all of their wording in the site very carefully. Although it's not a really big chunk of change and the theory is sound, I have to see it in practice. Like how they have it fitted under the filter and now much of it is blocking the air right behind the filter. Is the fan on the bottom of the filter or just near the top and would let air flow in freely on the bottom half of the filter. How good is the filter that they use. Is the transition from the filter to the pipe smooth and funneled in a nice transition or very sharp. These are just some of the questions I have.

As for hookup, the MSD rpm switch is a great idea but I would add an additional manual over-ride to turn it off when I don't want it to kick in for any reason; just makes more sense. I'm sure you can also get it for different settings like one set for 3k if you wanted.

I will look into this maybe later down the line and maybe modify it to a better design too. Just need to know how they did it and if there is any improvements that can be made.

...I just called MotorSport Dynamics and they told me they don't carry any 2.75" to 3" adapters. Only 2.5" to 3" and said that if I tried tightening the 3" filter on a 2.75" tube, it probably wouldn't hold.

I bet it would hold if I put a bead of silicone on the tube and put the filter over it and clamped it down...
    You could just get a wide strip of rubber or silicone and wrap the tube to fill up some of the gap and then just tighten the clamp a little more to squish the 3" opening down snug. Should work fine as long as the strips you lay over the tube isn't too narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister_McRae
    Are the Injen CAI 3" in dia for the 4 cyl?
    I believe the Ingen CAI is the same for both I4 & V6 and 3".

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

the eram is a scam. There are a few electric superchargers out there that can deliver minimal boost. They are for drag racing only. The amount of current that they require is more than an alternator can supply. You would need at least 2 extra batteries for a few pulls and that is it. However the Eram is not a reputable item, it is garbage, please do not waste your money. The gains you see from the echarger from power off- to power on-- come from the fact that when you install it-you are putting a restriction in the flow path. This hurts your performance. When you turn it on, The restriction becomes invisible because it spins with the amount of air you normally would. You really are not getting "gains" , you are merely getting the car back to where it was originally. The cfm rating on the trash is rated under no-load conditions. If you dead-headed the fan, you would no way produce any real psi. when the motor is running, it is pulling a lot of air through it. If the fan cannot produce it with no flow, then it surely won't do it with a flow already.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cngodfather
    the eram is a scam. There are a few electric superchargers out there that can deliver minimal boost. They are for drag racing only. The amount of current that they require is more than an alternator can supply. You would need at least 2 extra batteries for a few pulls and that is it. However the Eram is not a reputable item, it is garbage, please do not waste your money. The gains you see from the echarger from power off- to power on-- come from the fact that when you install it-you are putting a restriction in the flow path. This hurts your performance. When you turn it on, The restriction becomes invisible because it spins with the amount of air you normally would. You really are not getting "gains" , you are merely getting the car back to where it was originally. The cfm rating on the trash is rated under no-load conditions. If you dead-headed the fan, you would no way produce any real psi. when the motor is running, it is pulling a lot of air through it. If the fan cannot produce it with no flow, then it surely won't do it with a flow already.
    dude.... you see that the last post is from Nov. 2002? talk about bringing something back.....
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

pls lets talk about it...im a newbie on this site but i just bought an electric supercharger and now its turning into more work gettin it installed...in order 4 me 2 install i have 2 replace my air filter now the 00' galant v4 have the air meter mounted on the filter housing how do i get around the....?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast