The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AMSS Header set up and lowering options ??

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

AMSS Header set up and lowering options ??

Hello,

This is a question for anyone who has the AMSS headers + hi flow cat and a lowering spring set, basically lower. The O2 sensors on the hi flow cat point downward and reduce your ground clearance by about 2.5 inches. I want to lower my ride but am scared about ripping off one of those O2 sensors on a speed bump or something. The only option I can see is 1) don't lower your car, or 2) fix the O2 sensors.

Has anyone had this problem? If so what have you guys done?

Thanks,

L

guys,

Here's an update. I was looking at TJC's car and his cat from AMSS seems different than mine (his is the first picture). He has his O2 bungs coming out the side in the middle at a moderate angle. Mine on the other hand are angled like 60deg down to the ground, which prob. give me 1.5 inches of less clearance(pic2). I checked and already am totally almost screwed on clearance with stock springs over speed bumps and uneven driveways. Anyone have any creative ideas?

Thank for the info in advance,

L

Hello,

This is a question for anyone who has the AMSS headers + hi flow cat and a lowering spring set, basically lower. The O2 sensors on the hi flow cat point downward and reduce your ground clearance by about 2.5 inches. I want to lower my ride but am scared about ripping off one of those O2 sensors on a speed bump or something. The only option I can see is 1) don't lower your car, or 2) fix the O2 sensors.

Has anyone had this problem? If so what have you guys done?

Thanks,

L

SuperchargedGTZ
    I have actually ripped off one O2 sensor wire. I was drivin back to RIPP, There was some garbage floating around on 278 in Brooklyn and it ripped off the wires. About 20 miles later drivin on the Varrizono bridge, the positive and negative wire hit and.......EVERYTHING stopped like somone pulled the plug on the car. Unfortunately when those 2 wires hit, they blew the fuse for the ECU. RIPP was nice enough to come and save me on the Bridge. FYI....if you care is lowered, you will still have problems with they way this system is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargedGTZ
    I have actually ripped off one O2 sensor wire. I was drivin back to RIPP, There was some garbage floating around on 278 in Brooklyn and it ripped off the wires. About 20 miles later drivin on the Varrizono bridge, the positive and negative wire hit and.......EVERYTHING stopped like somone pulled the plug on the car. Unfortunately when those 2 wires hit, they blew the fuse for the ECU. RIPP was nice enough to come and save me on the Bridge. FYI....if you care is lowered, you will still have problems with they way this system is set up.
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of just welding into the downpipe and turning the cat and sensors 180 deg up towards the car. Cutting into the nice chrome downpipe would be necessary for the cat to bolt onto the d/p as the connecting junction is triangular.

Will investigate more ..

L

My setup looks like the same as the pic posted. More spread out, but like everyone knows, not a good place for the sensors. I think the headers are quality, just a bad design. i think my clearance with the setup is like 1-1.5" less clearance, not more than that. It is a bitch and its your call for if its worth it. The shop that put mine in did a sweet job, I've been meaning to post a sound clip of the headers with the 2.5" exhaust they put in at the same time. Might think about doin the same with a quality muffler...not a fukn fart can. Oh yeah ridin on Eibach Pro's, would like the GC coilovers to lower for shows. Goin on 6 months now and haven't wrecked one yet...(knockin on wood)
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>My setup looks like the same as the pic posted. More spread out, but like everyone knows, not a good place for the sensors. I think the headers are quality, just a bad design. i think my clearance Â*with the setup is like 1-1.5" less clearance, not more than that. It is a bitch and its your call for if its worth it. The shop that put mine in did a sweet job, I've been meaning to post a sound clip of the headers with the 2.5" exhaust they put in at the same time. Might think about doin the same with a quality muffler...not a fukn fart can. Oh yeah ridin on Eibach Pro's, would like the GC coilovers to lower for shows. Goin on 6 months now and haven't wrecked one yet...(knockin on wood)</div>

So you're lowered about 2 inches in front and 1.8 in the rear?? I forget the pro specs. Do you have to like be extra careful when you go up driveways and over speedbumps?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'> Goin on 6 months now and haven't wrecked one yet...(knockin on wood)</div>

Do you mean wreck an O2 sensor?

Sounds like you've been doing pretty good.

L