The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30
    mighty

question

I saw some guy's interior on here, and thought it looked great.....it was painted blue, so my question is, instead of buying a kit, can't we just paint the trim???
    would we need to sand anything, or just paint right over it?
    what color/type paint was used?
    thanks

I believe Supernova painted his interior white, I liked it a whole lot, Ill provide the link in a sec.

[20:33] fenderi: did they screw up your wiper leds yet?
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i dont know man
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i wil see topmorrow
    [20:33] lKoRTy: lol
    [20:33] fenderi: hopefully they did the car a favor and chucked them
    [20:34] lKoRTy: screw you

here ya go, heres the link :

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17366

read further and he teaches you how to paint it.

[20:33] fenderi: did they screw up your wiper leds yet?
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i dont know man
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i wil see topmorrow
    [20:33] lKoRTy: lol
    [20:33] fenderi: hopefully they did the car a favor and chucked them
    [20:34] lKoRTy: screw you

Dave@SE
    Yes, in order for the paint to stick and hold up, you should sand/scuff the trim to give the paint something to "bite" to instead of the smooth surface. After you sand it, make sure you clean it thoroughly to remove any residue that might be on it (It's a good idea to clean it before you sand it too). I'd recommend getting paint from an auto body supply place that will mix it and put it in a spray can for you. It sprays much nicer than regular spray paint. (Regular spray will work just fine though if you don't want to go through the trouble of having it mixed and canned for you.) Good luck!

mighty
    holy crap, that white looks KILLER!!!!
    to many color options in my head now....
    thanks gents

Jeff
    2 words....krylon fusion.

Black Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    2 words....krylon fusion.
    i second that!!!

mighty
    so with fusion, I DON'T have to sand?????
    just two coat it and be done with it?
    http://www.krylon.com/product/op_consumer_product.asp

Supernova

Black Magic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mighty)</div><div class='quotemain'>so with fusion, I DON'T have to sand?????
    just two coat it and be done with it?
    http://www.krylon.com/product/op_consumer_product.asp</div>

yup no sanding

but i do recommend using primer. the first time i painted my interior i didn't use primer and i noticed a slight color mismatching since the original color of the trim pieces were different. primer makes it so that the color behind the paint is the same.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    but i do recommend using primer. the first time i painted my interior i didn't use primer and i noticed a slight color mismatching since the original color of the trim pieces were different. primer makes it so that the color behind the paint is the same.
    he's right...as usual. primer is the way to go if you want a professional finish.

VIO
    krylon makes a primer specifically for plastic (not the fusion paint) that will allow you to primer without sanding and you can use whatever paint you want over it. i just did my trim this weekend and it looks trick. i have a silver es and i painted the trim the same metallic silver as my car. it looks really good. i used an entire can of clear coat for just the 6 wood grain trim pieces as well. i purposely tried to scratch a small area on the trim to see if the paint would hold and it's as strong as if i had sanded so i can tell you that krylon's plastic primer works great and you don't have to be stuck with the fusion's line of very limited colors.

mighty
    hey vio, can you tell me the exact color of krylon you used?
    I looked at wal-mart, and found some silver, but it didn't look like our silver es's trim.....also which primer did you use?
    (names is more helpful, so I can just get that named can)
    thanks 8)

VIO
    hey mighty, i'll post the names for you tonight as right now i'm at work. i can tell you that it cost about $10 for the primer, paint, and clear coat. the silver i used is almost identical to the stock silver that mitsu uses. the only difference i found is that the metal flake in the paint i used is slightly larger and there's a bit more so it has just a slight bit more sparkle then the stock paint but unless you actually hold a piece of the painted trim next to the outside you'll never notice as the tint of the silver is identical. everyone who's seen it thinks i had a paint shop actually mix the paint to oem color specs. it's as close to a perfect match as you can get without having it custom mixed. one cool thing is that the tint of the silver is identical so if for some reason the trim gets scratched i can use the touch up paint pen i got from the dealer and it will match.

mighty
    well that sounds awesome!
    yeah, please post the brand and color....don't worry with the clear coat, as I am not going to use that.
    man I am pumped now

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    well that sounds awesome!
    yeah, please post the brand and color....don't worry with the clear coat, as I am not going to use that.
    man I am pumped now
    i now suggest that you do that too. i've had mine for months now and im starting to see where the paint is discolored and worn down in areas i use more often like right under the radio controls.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

VIO
    you want to use the clear coat for sure!!! the kind i used is also made by krylon and it dried so smooth it's like factory plastic. protection is not the only reason to use clear coat all though it's worth it for the protection alone. the clear coat adds a really deep gloss that just makes the color of the paint (in this case silver) look amazing. it looks good without the clear coat but with the clear coat the color is just so deep it's almost 3d with the metal flake floating in it. it's just a great enhancement and you'll be very happy you did it.

mighty
    alright then....can't wait to see it, and do it myself
    please post all three then
    i.e. krylon primer "x"
    krylon clear coat "x"
    krylon color "x"
    *for example purposes*
    I really think this site, would GREATLY benefit us all, if everyone included ALL the details/parts/makers you might need you know? (wouldn't want to get the wrong intake for example, so all reading this, please do so in your posts)

VIO
    oh i was planning on posting all three. but as i said i'm at work so you'll have to wait another 2 hours for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast