The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: es emblem

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    mighty

es emblem

and the easiest way to remove it.....
    thanks

escoson
    well people well tell u dentil floss and such, but to do ti my way u need to be very careful. i use a sharp knife and wedge it inbetween emblem and some of the tape and very carefully and slowly wedge all around till i can get it off. kind of luck sperating a frozen bagel is the best way to put it.

mighty

so I take it it's just held on by some adhesive?

VIO
    the easiest way to do it is to use a really flexable card like a move rental card or a library card. use one that's thinner and more flexable then a credit card and just work it under the emblem. be very careful if you want to keep the emblem as they're very fragile, if you don't want to keep it then go to town. you should be able to scrape off the left over molding tape with your fingernail and remove the sticky residue with goo gone. i acutally removed mine at 2:30am and drunk as well. :shock: i did a perfect job too! it's really easy. you can even remove the "mitsubishi" and the "galant" from the trunk as well. i removed everything but the triple diamond. the chrome strip (if your car has one) looks really good with "galant" removed from it.

mighty
    you even removed galant from the trunk????
    I think I will leave that on there..........I also haven't seen anyone paint in black (in our case on the silver cars) in the galant on the doors.....I think this will look sweet, but man I am worried, I will slip and have a black streak on my doors. :cry:

VIO
    oh yeah, i removed that "galant" from the trunk and that chrome strip looks so nice and clean. i've not seen anyone paint the embrosed "galant" on the sides before. that would look pretty cool if you could pull that off. the best thing to do would be to really clean that area good and make sure there's no wax at all on there. use something like meguire's #1 in their three stage paint care system as it's very very mildly abrasive to clean all the was and crap off, then wipe it down good with 90% alcohol to make sure the surface is nice and clean. the paint should stick like a champ now. you could use masking tape and mask off the area and using a razor blade very carefully cut out the embrosed letters out of the tape (yes while it's on the car!!) use a very light touch so you don't cut into the paint below the tape (even if you cut a little into the paint it's ok because you'll fill the cut area with new paint when you spray the cut out area). this is how they do custom flames and designs on motorcycle tanks and fenders. then after the letters are cut out from the tape just use a good auto quality spray paint and a nice layer of clear coat on top. use many very light layers of black paint and clear coat for best results.

mighty
    then there is also a guy on here, that used black reflective tape, and he said it looks tight.........might be more simple to do that, plus at night, it's another "color"
    I can't decide............... but the trim I AM doing.....can't wait for you to post my "tools" I need 8)

Supernova
    Fishing line works best for me.

VIO
    yeah, reflective black tape might look really cool. that's a really good idea. i'll be home in about an hour so you'll have you paint supply list then. you'll be amazed at how the trim pieces seem to "glow" at night since they are a much lighter color then the interior. the metalic flake looks damn cool when it catches the street lights.

mighty
    sounds VERY good....hopefully wal-mart carrys the brands you used.
    I am also assuming you also re-did the console trim???
    make a small tutorial for me (all of us) please.
    thanks again

VIO
    yes, i did all six pieces that are wood grain. that would be the shifter surround, the center console, and the door inserts. it's really simple to do but you have to remove the door panels to get the inserts off. the center console and the shifter trim just pull right off. make sure you clean the trim pieces really well with either 90% alcohol or an good glass cleaner. i used glass cleaner on mine and it worked just fine. make sure you use a good lint free towel to wipe them down and don't touch the parts of the trim that are going to be painted. the oils from your skin will cause the paint to peel. then if you can't find krylon plastic primer you'll have to sand with a finishing grit sand paper before priming. if you have a plastic primer then you won't need to sand unless you really want to. i didn't sand and the paint stuck great with that primer. just apply enough primer to completely cover the peices. you don't want 10 layers of thick primer. the least amount of primer you can use the better. then apply the the silver base coat in thin layers until you achive a nice even coating. i think i used 2 thin coats of primer and about 6 coats of silver base coat and an enitre can of clear coat. just follow the directions of the paint cans for drying time and coat intervals. i let the primer dry for an hour before i painted it silver. then i painted the silver layers in 20 minute intervals. then i let the last coat of silver dry for 2 hours. then i applied the clar coat in 15 minute intervals until i was out of clear coat. your interval time will vary depending on humidity and temperature.

park the car out in the sun for a few hours. if you can make sure that the sun shines really good on the emblem.

then take your hands and grab the emblem and twist the emblem off. that should work if your car is newer.

if its a lil bit older, take some dental floss or some thin fishing line and floss the embelm off.

oh yea, you can do this in the shade. things are just easier if the adhesive is warm.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mighty)</div><div class='quotemain'>then there is also a guy on here, that used black reflective tape, and he said it looks tight.........might be more simple to do that, plus at night, it's another "color"
    I can't decide............... Â* but the trim I AM doing.....can't wait for you to post my "tools" I need 8)</div>
    RodT painted his Galant letters and the stripe on either side of them. First one to do it and it looks hot. But unfortunately, he's leaving MAG to become a cali man. But he's still here for another week. Look for his pics.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

mighty
    I don't see a RodT user......
    link to the pic's???
    My emblem came off like a piece of candy.......took about 3 seconds.

Try this

Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

I was thinking maybe taking the g-a-l-a-n-t on the side and painting them white to go with my white rims. Because at the moment, the wheels are the only thing on my car thats white. Need something to compliment them with, thought this would be a good idea. Havn't thought how to do it yet though...What do ya think?
    -Clay

2000 Kalapana Black ES V6

White 18 Katana Concept 10's.
    B&W all the way!

mighty
    well my car is silver, so I won't be doing white for certain.....but yes, I have thought alot about painting it, or doing the reflective tape deal, or even getting the chrome letters from my dealer.....all the above should look good, so now I am trying to find a path to go, and stick with it.