The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new vinyl ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    Jeff

new vinyl ?

Okay, I picked up my black vinyl yesterday and I currently have the beige interior. I wanna keep it somewhat low key so i'm only redoing my rear deck, door panels and the vinyl section of the dash. I already know how to get the doors and rear deck off, but I'm lost on how to do the vinyl section of the dash. If anyone can give me details on how to remove that section of the dash and any pointers on how to revinyl it neatly, like where some trouble spots may be and how to work them smooth, it would be much appreciated. Also, has anyone changed the color of the rubber section of the armrest? That will be black as well. Thanks guys in advance.

TWISTED II
    whats up, i changed the color of my interior twice now. i didn't take the vinyl off the dash, i just revinyled it. its too much of a pain to take it off. here are a few pics. the only real problem area was around the gauge cluster, where it gets kinda tight.

mighty
    nice pic's

Livn2sk8
    where do you buy new vinyl at? and about how much does it usually run? just a rough estimate...

Jeff
    i got mine from a fabric store by my house. 10 bucks for 6 sq. yds. i was hoping you were going to reply to this Twisted, but i still don't know how to get that section off and out, so i can have more room to manuever.

TWISTED II
    i got mine through my buddy. he works at an interior shop. make sure the vinyl you got stretches both ways, not just ones way. ok, so you wanna get the big dash off....well, its not too hard. whenever i've taken it out, its been with the rest of the interior, so i'm tryin to think of the most simple way of doing it. first start off by taking out the vents, gauges cluster, passenger side airbag cover, center channel, glove box and radio. i'm not sure if you'll need to have that out, but in any event you'll need the front trim piece out. next its just a bunch of 10....or 12 mill bolts and screws. where are you at? if your near chicago i could help you take it out.

hey twisted - when y ou had the door pannels done in vinyl, did you replace them, or just wrap the existing pannels in vinyl? And did you do it yourself? How difficult is it for someone who has zero experience? Thanks

Jeff
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i got mine through my buddy. Â*he works at an interior shop. Â*make sure the vinyl you got stretches both ways, not just ones way. Â*ok, so you wanna get the big dash off....well, its not too hard. Â*whenever i've taken it out, its been with the rest of the interior, so i'm tryin to think of the most simple way of doing it. Â*first start off by taking out the vents, gauges cluster, passenger side airbag cover, center channel, glove box and radio. Â*i'm not sure if you'll need to have that out, but in any event you'll need the front trim piece out. Â*next its just a bunch of 10....or 12 mill bolts and screws. Â* where are you at? Â*if your near chicago i could help you take it out.</div>

the vinyl i got is some pretty good shit. it stretches in every direction...just not alot. So basically what you're sayin' is to just tear apart the interior and the rest is self explanatory. Cool. And I am in Western PA, so Chicago is not a short drive for me. That should be enough info. i'll start on that part on Sat. when i have a whole day to mess with it. Tonight, i'll just work on the rear deck. Thanks Twisted.

TWISTED II
    yup, no problem. lemme know if you run into any problems.

dude, your interior is sweet.

I'm not much of a purple fan but you make this look good

that would make me wanna do that to my car in blue... oh the possibilities

silver + blue = gorgeous

[20:33] fenderi: did they screw up your wiper leds yet?
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i dont know man
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i wil see topmorrow
    [20:33] lKoRTy: lol
    [20:33] fenderi: hopefully they did the car a favor and chucked them
    [20:34] lKoRTy: screw you

TWISTED II
    thanks man. its actually all black now. my car has had a full makeover. once i get it all together, i don't think anyone is gonna recognize it, lol. i melted 1 piston back in january, and decided to do a full build and complete makeover on the car. everything is different, lol. kinda rediculous, but oh well. i should have some pics in a few weeks.

Jeff
    repainted, new engine and new rims, correct? I think I saw some pics right after the paint job. It was looking good then so I can't wait to see the finished product.

ScOtTiE_MaK
    ok so what the hell is all of this...you buy vinly and it sticks on to the exsiting stuff...that must be a fucking headache hahaha

let me know how to do this cause i might make it my final project haha

Scott

TWISTED II
    yeah, my car is still silver, but i have new graphics, new tails, new interior, new shifter and ebrake, new engine lol, new rims, new wing, new stereo, new trunk setup....anyway, yeah, you buy vinyl and i suggest you use professional strength glue in an airgun, and just spray it, let it sit for a few and get sticky, then put it on, pull it tight, make sure there are no bubbles, and staple the stuff down

Jeff
    wow, you did more than i thought you did. good shit. got the rear deck done and it looks good. It'll look alot better when the rest is done, but good none the less. When i do the doors and the dash, i gotta get higher quality spray adhesive, cuz the shit i have now sucks. Thanks again Twisted.

TWISTED II
    yup, no problem. yeah, the adheasive is the most important part. gotta use the good stuff

clone2020
    What did you use to adhere the vinyl to the door panel? Spray on glue? tape? etc?

-Mike.

Jeff
    3m spray adhesive is what those that have done this used. I haven't gotten that far yet cuz of all the rain.

SilverKnight
    hey twisted how did you get the pockets in your front doors painted to look soooo good. im working on my interior right now too.

TWISTED II
    all the interior was painted by a body shop. they did it all when i got my kit put on. i just gave them all the pieces and they used the left over paint and did all that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast