The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Beer ahhh I mean bearing

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Beer ahhh I mean bearing

So I have the lower ball joints replaced by the dealer under recall.
    They do it and they tell me that my left front bearing needs replaced.
    They also said that by now the bearing is welded on. ( I got 37,000 miles on the car) so I would probably need to have the whole knuckle replaced and quoted $900 bill (he quoted that only once LOL).
    So before I go tearing the knuckle out is there a way to push the bearing out of there if it in fact rusted on? Some kind of a hydraulic press adapter maybe.
    I know that this can be done, on a hydraulic press, to other cars I have no clue if it can be done on ours.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

valerie84
    I had a very similar problem-I had recal work done and they told me I needed 1 new bearing-well they went to do that and the bearing was rusted together with the axle. They couldnt get it apart. They did try some press thing on it but it didnt work. I ended up paying $600 dollers for a new bearing and a 1/2 a new axle and paying to have the new part of the axle welded to the old part.

brandon
    Is it me or does almost every post from Valerie include a story about how something went wrong with her car??

:?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    I have the wheel bearings for sale, unless you wanna pay the dealer the 160 a pop he is asking for.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Bronx if they are new I'm intrested

Hey Val, I am kinda getting used to the idea that |I may have to remove the knuckle and half axle. But I hope not.

valerie84
    Brandon- Yeah- I have had a few problems with it lately probably because it has 105,000 miles and now it's about time for some maintenance repairs. Im only trying to help people or get feed back as to if anyone has had the same problem. :?

brandon
    I feel bad is all, I can't remember anyone saying they've had as many problems as you have! Hopefully it'll all work out in the end though.

valerie84
    Well-it better be about done with repairs because I'm broke!

As much as I hate to interupt this lover's quarell, I would like to get some advice on the front wheel bearing on a 7 G gallant .
    So can it be pushed, or pulled or threatened or coerced out or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jiul
    Bronx if they are new I'm intrested
    They are brand new. cost me up to 600bux

Moosh
    bronx you never replied to me about those front grilles

edit - oops sorry for hijacking your thread......

unfortunatly, this is a fairly common problem
    the axle rusts into the bearing with such incredible force that it CANNOT be removed.

trust me, weve tried everything on these bastards when this happens. After about an hour or two, we can get about 75 percent of them apart, but usually destroy the axle whilst doing it.
    However, at least you would be saved the cost of the knuckle (provided that they can get it apart).

hey Manybrews how ya been?

So what do recomend I do? Pull out the bearing and the half axle and if I can't get them losse of the knuckle just replacce all three?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey Manybrews how ya been?

So what do recomend I do? Pull out the bearing and Â*the half axle and if I can't get them losse of the knuckle Â*just replacce all three?</div>
    you may not have a choice.
    what we do is heat the hub and axle with an acetyline torch and a "rosebud" tip until the entire thing is glowing cherry red. then we use a half inch air hammer to beat it into submission.
    Its terribly violent, and usually destroys the axle. Sometimes (not often) we can save the axle, but prefer to tell the customers in advance of the probable outcome of what we're gonna do.
    on the few that we cant get apart (even after heat, air hammering, and a 40 ton press), we DO have to replace the knuckle, bearing, and axle.
    you could check with a boneyard and possibly get the whole thing for less than the new stuff.

[quote="manybrews"]
    Quote Originally Posted by jiul

(even after heat, air hammering, and a 40 ton press), we DO have to replace the knuckle, bearing, and axle.
    you could check with a boneyard and possibly get the whole thing for less than the new stuff.

Thats what i been thinking but i had went out and bout the 4 hubs because Mitsu told me that the bearings are precision pressed and couldnt be replaced, that u would have to buy the whole hub 160 a piece for the front and 180 for the rear. this was like 3 months ago. I still have the reciepts.

I don't mind getting a whole assembly , bearing, knuckle and axle fron the junk yard, but is there a way to make sure that I don't get a bum bearing like my current one?

cantbeatmy97
    i replaced my bearing and i had the same problem but i had bout 87000 miles and it took me awhile theres no way it costs that much maybe 130-160 depending on taxes since i dont have them thank god.if u have a air hammer and a compressor u can do it in yur back yard its a hub assembly u cant take out yur wheel bearing its pressed in on our cars.u can test to see if u need them yurself so u know yur not getttin screwed.jack 1 side up by the lower control arm and wiggle yur tire up and down if it feels loose then u should replace it.it just takes time u can do it

Quote Originally Posted by cantbeatmy97
    i replaced my bearing and i had the same problem but i had bout 87000 miles and it took me awhile theres no way it costs that much maybe 130-160 depending on taxes since i dont have them thank god.if u have a air hammer and a compressor u can do it in yur back yard its a hub assembly u cant take out yur wheel bearing its pressed in on our cars.u can test to see if u need them yurself so u know yur not getttin screwed.jack 1 side up by the lower control arm and wiggle yur tire up and down if it feels loose then u should replace it.it just takes time u can do it
    Yes the tire does wiggle so yes they need replacing.
    I am of course gonna try to hammer it out and see what happens.
    Thanks

What is this recall about????

I have a 1996 with 173,000 and everything seems fine. What is this recall you all are talking about? :?: