The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: trunk garnish question

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Black Magic

trunk garnish question

alright im thinking of covering the chrome trim on my windows and my trunk garnish with that cf vinyl stuff. i figured it was the cheapest route. my question is how to remove the chrome trunk garnish from a 99-01 galant?

MitsuRacer
    Though I could be entirely incorrect, I think that it's actually just held on by adhesive like the emblem and lettering. I'd try that or try looking on the inside of the trunk lid for clips or screws. If it's adhesive, just use a hair dryer and some dental floss or you might be able to just peel it off. Good Luck..... :twisted:

Black Magic
    are you sure? im talking about that chrome piece where the keyhole is to open the tunk? where the chrome letters are on, i want to remove that piece so i can cover it with cf vinyl.

tim888tim
    That piece has 2 screws (philips head) that can be accessed from the outside and then two clips. The clips are a real bugger and easy to break. It might be easier to access them from the inside and just push them out.

Hey Black Magic, why not just remove the chrome trim along the top edge of the doors. I did that to my ES and it gives the car a GTZ look. I'm also looking to remove the rear garnish so I can paint it to match the body. There should be some clips attached to it.

Black Magic
    what did you use to remove the chrome trim from the windows? is it the same as removing the letters. heat then rip them off

Black Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by tim888tim
    That piece has 2 screws (philips head) that can be accessed from the outside and then two clips. The clips are a real bugger and easy to break. It might be easier to access them from the inside and just push them out.
    Thanks

I just opened my doors and then pulled them off. They come off easy.

tim888tim
    The bit that I posted earlier was for the chrome piece on the back of the trunk with the galant letters. For removing the window trim, the top parts come off really easily when the doors are open.
    The bottom parts I never did figure out how to remove. I just found some extra wide electrical tape and covered them up.
    The one thing that I noticed with the top pieces removed is that it sounds like a little more road noise comes through. I will probably either tape them up or paint them and then put them back on.

I was talking wit my bro the other day, and he was talking about all this stuff I should do with the garnishes. First off, I have a black G w/ white rims. My color scheme is gonna be black, white, and blue. So with the white rims, I am gonna put white mesh in the front and stuff. What he said was to paint the actual stock grill white except for the triple diamond, and get that chrome. Then do that same to the trunk garnish, except leave the g-a-l-a-n-t chrome and the chrome triple diamond on the back to go with the front. Any ideas on how that would look? I can't seem to picture it, though just by the description, I tend to think it wouldn't look all that good. Could be wrong though.
    -Clay

2000 Kalapana Black ES V6

White 18 Katana Concept 10's.
    B&W all the way!

CWolf I'd personally stick with black on black. Black trunk garnish, black grill, black mesh etc. White rims def. are nice with that. You could also ask someone on the forum to photoshop your brother's idea to see how it would manifest.

Black Magic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CWolf)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was talking wit my bro the other day, and he was talking about all this stuff I should do with the garnishes. First off, I have a black G w/ white rims. My color scheme is gonna be black, white, and blue. So with the white rims, I am gonna put white mesh in the front and stuff. What he said was to paint the actual stock grill white except for the triple diamond, and get that chrome. Then do that same to the trunk garnish, except leave the g-a-l-a-n-t chrome and the chrome triple diamond on the back to go with the front. Any ideas on how that would look? I can't seem to picture it, though just by the description, I tend to think it wouldn't look all that good. Could be wrong though.</div>

you got any pics of your ride i would love to see how the white goes with black

I've been meaning to take some new ones and upload them, but havn't got around to it. I try to get them up this weekend.

Actually, until then, go here, click on pics, then Aug. 2nd meet pics. I'm in there, though it was before I cleared my corners...(I was known as SilkyBlackES then, was before I changed my TGC name too)
    -Clay

2000 Kalapana Black ES V6

White 18 Katana Concept 10's.
    B&W all the way!