Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Slut

Changing Starter...

I have a 96 Galant S. My starter is starting to go and I would like to
    know where I can find one for decently cheap online. Also if someone
    can direct me to instructions on how to change the starter, I would
    greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

yea, i have the same problem. I'm waiting to receive my starter so i can install it in my car(97 es).but i am in need to find a DIY tutorial...im not sure where the starter is located on the 95 s, but on the 97 es the starter is located behind the engine above the trans. its a BI*CH to get to. ANy information would help.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ositoyb
    yea, i have the same problem. I'm waiting to receive my starter so i can install it in my car(97 es).but i am in need to find a DIY tutorial...im not sure where the starter is located on the 95 s, but on the 97 es the starter is located behind the engine above the trans. its a BI*CH to get to. ANy information would help.
    Hey did u install the starter?, How she running now

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ositoyb
    Hey did u install the starter?, How she running now
    NO... :x , my friend was going to come yesterday, i called him and he said he was working on another car and that he would call me when he was done...i guess he never finished, well at least i hope thats what he is going to tell me,

Damn, Do like I did. I got tired of waiting for my friend to help me remove it so i took my time(10min) and did it myself. I do know its easier to come out than it is to put in.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Damn, Do like I did. I got tired of waiting for my friend to help me remove it so i took my time(10min) and did it myself. I do know its easier to come out than it is to put in.
    <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>how!!!!!!!!!! </span><span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>ido i have to go under the car to do it? i don't see any other way to do it, becuase its right behind the motor..i have a 97 and its a bi*ch to get to. Thanks</span>

I DID IT!!!!!!!! YAY!!!! lol, it wasn't too hard, took me a couple hours though, lmfao!!! not having any tools, and it was a BI*CH to put back in!!
    hey " SLUT " did yuo change you starter, it wasn't that hard..

Glad to see that you are happy, If u need anything else just ask.

actually, i might...lol.....let me find out if i NEED anything, lol

kool.

Slut
    Yea... If you can give me instuctions, pictures, or any tips to help me change the starter I would appreciate it...
    Thanks

TGC Regular
    Take it somewhere and pay someone. Thats what I did and i didn't have to deal with it. Hell my car is being fixed right now, I don't play around with the car.
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

my apologize, i totally forgot abou the pics, i'm going RIGHT NOW to take some pics, sorry again for the wait!!!

Hey slut, i have the pics uploaded(into my cpu) and in the process of uploading them into the net, hope this helps you and everyone else who is doing this removal/install

i'll post pics w/ DIY tutorial later.

First and Foremost, i just want to say, you are doing this removal/install AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! i will NOT be held responsible for any mistakes that might occur.

Okay people, well here are the pics for the removal/install, they're only 4 ipcs, becuase this wasn't as hard as you might think, BELIEVE ME....I DID IT ALONE!!lol. here's the link

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289283857&idx=4

Here how to remove the starter, in a 123 order...

1. Start off by getting the tools, which are

Sockets (9/16, i believe)

Socket Wrench

On the back of MY new starter, therere were 2 DIFFERENT size nuts, but on your starter, they should be the same size.

"REMOVE THE BATTERY FROM YOUR CAR(just to be safeside)"

2. Start removing the short screw first(which is the screw on the left). This is only MY preference!!!

3. Then, start removing the other screw(longer, on the right side), there will be a BLACK wire that is going to be connected to this screw, which comes from the Battery, just move it to the side . After about an inch, the screw is going to get tight, so you will need to hold the starter while removing the screw.

4. After that, there is a little clip that is connected to the negative post, UNCLIP it.

5. After you have UNCLIPED the negative post, you will need to start unsrewing the nuts which hold the positive and negative terminals down.

6. After Finishing that, you should be able to take the STARTER out of the engine.

Here the how to install the stsrter, in a 1,2,3 order.

1. Screw in the negative terminal in first.

2. After that, install the CLIP to the negative terminal.

3. Then, screw in the positive Terminal.

" Now you are ready to install the 2 Screws(short and Long) "

4. First screw in the Shorter screw(the one on the left) While holding the starter in the correct position on the engine. This was MY preference.

5. Now, before installing the Longer Screw, you will have to put the screw inside the Negative Terminal which comes from the Battery(this is the wire which you moved to the side when you 1st removed this Screw). And then, install the Long screw.

6. Reconnect your battery.

7. Start the car.

If the car starts fast, YOU DID A GOOOOOOOD JOB!!!

Experienced TGC Member
    How do you know if the starter is starting to die??

When I start my car cold it usualy cranks for half a second then just stops and will pick back up again. But sometimes I hear a really odd sound from the belt side of the engine, almost like a piece of paper got sucked into the belts and then gets shreded and the sounds stops. I have checked the belts, I cant find anything that could be the source of the problem.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

you know when its time to change yoru starter, becase your car CAN NOT start. Yo umay turn the key, and all you MAY hear is a " Click " but it wont start. an old stpries, if your in this situation, get a HAMMER and hit the starter a few times, DONT worry you WONT damage it, since its all ready F**KED up, then you try and turn the key again, if the car starts, GREAT!! but now you know you need a new/remaned starter. If you turn the key, and it on " clicks " again, but it gives a few more " clicks " then have someone hit inside the car, so when they hear you banging on the starter, they can turn the key. Trust me this works!!!!! i had to do it for a few weels until i can up with the money to pay bronx....who gave me a really good deal!!!!!(Thanks bronx) the bad thing about a dieing starter is that you will eventually have to bang on the starter harder and harder since its dieing. Good luck