The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rear suspension brace

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    styles

rear suspension brace

i was drivin down the road the other day and my rear strut brace(underneath the chassis) dropped off the car onto the road. It rusted all the way through where it is attached to the car on one side.

Can you help me? where would i look to find a new one? Is there a good site for 6g Galant parts? it is 1989 SOHC 2L FWD.

JF
    the best site for stuff like that is the junk yard.......

theguy526
    Damn strait. You could look at mitsubishiwholesaleparts.com (I think that is how the web address goes, see if you can find it in a search engine first). They may have something there for a decent price, but I don't think they have anything like that. Other than a junk yard and that, the only other place I could think of is a Mitsu dealership, but expect to pay top dollar!

Re: rear suspension brace

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(styles)</div><div class='quotemain'>i was drivin down the road the other day and my rear strut brace(underneath the chassis) dropped off the car onto the road. Â*It rusted all the way through where it is attached to the car on one side. Â*

Can you help me? Â*where would i look to find a new one? Â*Is there a good site for 6g Galant parts? Â*it is 1989 SOHC 2L FWD.</div>

strut brace? you mean the panhard rod? the lateral rod that attaches to the twist beam axle and the chassis?

crap, dude, if thats the case, get it fixed IMMEADIATLY! without that, there is NOTHING to center the axle. it will walk back and forth easily, with the only thing stopping it being brake lines and anything else that may get in the way!
    that is extraordinarily dangerous. the lack of chassis control is just one small part of the bad things that can happen there. ripping the brake likes in half is also a distinct possibility
    if your talking about something else (which is doubtful, cause theres not much back there), perhaps you could explain a bit better.

ConceptSleeper

styles
    how do i find out what part it is???
    is there a site or something that shows the parts for a 6g galant?

styles

its the big purple bar thats rusted through. It snapped near one end.
    my car doesnt have a twist beam axle...i dont think.
    The beam doesnt twist...its rigid.
    The panhard rod is the diagonal green piece. Thats not what broke on my car.

styles
    ok sometimes my picture doesnt show in the forum, but i hope people can see it.

i took a look under my car, and i'm wrong again. :oops: its not the purple piece, but a little skinny piece running parallel to it attached to it at the back of the car

i'm really confused now. :?: :?:

I gotta have a picture.

and although the axle LOOKS solid, it IS a twist beam.. meaning it does flex and twist with impact, albiet slightly.

styles
    the weld broke off the frame holding the bar on...i'm going to have to weld the beam back onto the frame. The beam itself didnt break but the weld rusted.

styles
    i got it fixed. the bar needed to be welded onto the frame in 2 places...one place on the bottom of the trunk and another place directly on the chassis.

the bar was part of the twist axle...runs parallel to the main axle beam and was smaller in diameter. on one side it was welded to the frame, and another side was bolted onto the main axle beam.

without that bar, my car swayed back and forth on the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by styles
    i got it fixed. the bar needed to be welded onto the frame in 2 places...one place on the bottom of the trunk and another place directly on the chassis.

the bar was part of the twist axle...runs parallel to the main axle beam and was smaller in diameter. on one side it was welded to the frame, and another side was bolted onto the main axle beam.

without that bar, my car swayed back and forth on the suspension.
    yep.. thats exactly what I thought it was.