The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Colored license plate bulb. legal in CA?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Colored license plate bulb. legal in CA?

note: i dunno the exact code for the license plate bulb yet, still gotta look at manual, so i will refer to them as license plate bulb. lol.

So, i was thinking about having red license plate bulbs to match my car, and i remember reading about the CA law, where the only legal colors from the rear is red, white, and amber. so would having red license plate bulbs be legal? if so, where the hell can i find them? =D (i think i saw blue ones at autozone, ill have to check around again)

itll be sure to attract anti-rice comments i bet, but i dont mind as long as its legal. i think it would look nice..

also, i was thinking about brighter reverse lights. and if the red license plate bulbs arent legal, brighter white license plate bulbs.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    well, i have hyper white reverse lights, they're a bit brighter and obviously whiter, and my license plate lights are hyperwhite, because the stock bulbs are....putrid yellow. go on ebay for all your bulb needs.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

tim888tim
    I looked in the regulations a few weeks ago and the rear license plate bulb must be white. It doesn't say how white only that it needs to be white and light enough to see clearly from xx feet (i forget exactly how much)

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

the bulb if I am not mistaken is a 194
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

tim888tim
    Found it:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>License Plate Lamp

24601. Â* Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.</div>
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24601.htm

oh. well thats crap. lol. nm then. maybe for show use.

also, im retarded! i bought the wrong kind of headlight bulbs, im going back tomorrow to exchange. hopefully they let me. i could swear to god ours are 9004...but then thats HB1. we need HB2. DURR.. yeah. i was mad at myself for not being able to remember 4 numbers or 2 letters and a number.

i think the license bulbs are 168. then again, there could be a chance i forgot 3 simple numbers.

Headlights are H4's.

I've been riding around with a red license plate bulb for years in NY and I haven't had a problem so far. Knock on wood.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've been riding around with a red license plate bulb for years in NY and I haven't had a problem so far. Knock on wood.</div>

Yeah that is just a cali law. You might have a different law there. I know my boy got a ticket when he changed out his reverse lights.

my reverse lights are a bluish greenish color and no problems here
    knock on wood
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition