The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine oil or transsmission fluid?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    czou

Engine oil or transsmission fluid?

I am going to change the engine oil for my 1998 galant. However, there are two tanks down there (one in driver side close to filter and the other one is on the passenger side) and both have a bolt which looks like the bolt to drain engine oil. Whcih one is the engine oil bolt and what is the other one for?

Thanks!

im no expert. to tell u the truth i've never seen the underside of the 7g b4...but uhm, using deductive resoning, the drain plug for the tranny oil can't be on the drivers side since the tranny is on the passneger side....

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

well first find ur tranny, look at it and look under ur car, there is a bolt there, thats for the tranny fluid, now look at ur engine, and look under, the bolt there is to drain ur oil...........um yeah thats it

czou

It sounds like galant do have a bolt to drain the transimmis

Thanks, Pinoyesv6 and NYgalant.

The reason I asked the above question is that the guy in Autozone said the structure for transsmission oil is different from engine oil, Basically you can not drain your transsmission fluids. You have to unscrew a panel something and it sounds quite complicated to do that job.

However, I unscrewed both bolts and there were oils coming out at both tanks and now both tanks are empty and I do not know what to do now. May be you guys are right. Galant may have designed the way to change its transsnission fuild in the same way like changng its engine oil.

whoa!! u drained ur tranny fluid? well off the back tranny fluid is red, so u should have stopped when u saw red fluid coming out as for the oil, that black shit should have told u it was oil, just make sure u fill up ur tranny back with the right fluid or u gonna have problems

Re: It sounds like galant do have a bolt to drain the transi

Quote Originally Posted by czou
    Thanks, Pinoyesv6 and NYgalant.

The reason I asked the above question is that the guy in Autozone said the structure for transsmission oil is different from engine oil, Basically you can not drain your transsmission fluids. You have to unscrew a panel something and it sounds quite complicated to do that job.

However, I unscrewed both bolts and there were oils coming out at both tanks and now both tanks are empty and I do not know what to do now. May be you guys are right. Galant may have designed the way to change its transsnission fuild in the same way like changng its engine oil.
    put both bolts back in lol. now go back in the engine bay and check ur fluids. im guessing once is tranny and one is engine oil. just make sure to fill them both back up. some cars actually do have drain plugs for tranny fluid. so yea. just make sure u replace each with the approriate type of fluid. might want to get a new tranny filter too possibly.

i hope that wasn't coolant u drained...woo hoo if it was black like oil haha just be happy u drained it then lol

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

okay, a little story for all of you.
    as a mitsu tech, ive seen just about every damn thing done to our cars that you could possibly imagine.. and this is one of those things.
    at LEAST once a month we get a person in that just had their oil changed, and now the car isnt shifting right. why? 'cause the fools at "rapid oil change" cant tell the difference between an engine and a transmission.

its my humble opinion that if you cant tell the difference between these two things, you shouldnt be touching your car.
    if you have drained your trans, you must refill it. use ONLY mitsu transaxle fluid, and check it ONLY with the car in nuetral, running. if you removed the drain bolt on the trans, you will probably need about 3 quarts to refill what you drained.
    the people at autozone are pretty stupid... them not being aware that the transaxle has a drain is proof to me that they also shouldnt be working on cars. just about every car to come from japan has a drain on the automatic transaxle, as these DO need to be maintained, and changing the fluid needs to be done.
    only the domestics manufacturers are stupid enough to not install a drain plug, forcing removal of the entire transaxle pan just to drain the system.

there is a filter on the inside of a mitsu, and it does require pan removal to get to it.. but its not the end of the world if you dont change it as often as you change the fluid.
    if you attempt to drive the car without the proper level of fluid in the transaxle, you will damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    okay, a little story for all of you.
    as a mitsu tech, ive seen just about every damn thing done to our cars that you could possibly imagine.. and this is one of those things.
    at LEAST once a month we get a person in that just had their oil changed, and now the car isnt shifting right. why? 'cause the fools at "rapid oil change" cant tell the difference between an engine and a transmission.

its my humble opinion that if you cant tell the difference between these two things, you shouldnt be touching your car.
    if you have drained your trans, you must refill it. use ONLY mitsu transaxle fluid, and check it ONLY with the car in nuetral, running. if you removed the drain bolt on the trans, you will probably need about 3 quarts to refill what you drained.
    the people at autozone are pretty stupid... them not being aware that the transaxle has a drain is proof to me that they also shouldnt be working on cars. just about every car to come from japan has a drain on the automatic transaxle, as these DO need to be maintained, and changing the fluid needs to be done.
    only the domestics manufacturers are stupid enough to not install a drain plug, forcing removal of the entire transaxle pan just to drain the system.

there is a filter on the inside of a mitsu, and it does require pan removal to get to it.. but its not the end of the world if you dont change it as often as you change the fluid.
    if you attempt to drive the car without the proper level of fluid in the transaxle, you will damage it.
    Hahahaha. Oh, now I've heard everything. Just goes to show you there are lots of incompetent ppl in auto service shops, SCARY. Thanks for sharing that funny story with us manybrews.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Kain
    I've got a similar story. This summer, my shop (transmission specialaty, but we did other things as well) had a Olds wagon come in. Custom Cruiser or something like that. Anyway, among about a hundred things they said were wrong, I'm not exaggerating, the RO was about 5 pages long!, they mentioned the transmission was not shifting properly. As usual, our first step was to check the fluid level/color/smell/feel. The fluid on the dipstick was not red, brown or even black as anticipated. It was clear. After some serious thought, sniffing of the mystery liquid, and other tests we finally deduced that it was in fact motor oil! The owner claimed ignorance on exactly how it happened, but he did not want to pay for a new transmission either. People do some wierd stuff to their transmissions, I've never gotten "ran it dry" but it does not surprise me either. By the way, if you do change the fluid (while you're at I'd suggest a full "flush & fill" to change all the fluid, but it's not totally necessary) it's a good idea to change the filter as well. Just good practice, esp since they're not that expensive.

Also, a question for manybrews, the Mitsu tech: Is there any ATF usable in DSM transmissions besides the Mitsubishi stuff? The Diamond ATF is expensive (like $6 a quart) when Dextron Mercon can be had for usually under $2 a quart. My shop flatly refused to work on Mitsubishi transmissions so no one there could answer my question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â*

Also, a question for manybrews, the Mitsu tech: Is there any ATF usable in DSM transmissions besides the Mitsubishi stuff? The Diamond ATF is expensive (like $6 a quart) when Dextron Mercon can be had for usually under $2 a quart. My shop flatly refused to work on Mitsubishi transmissions so no one there could answer my question</div>

no, theres nothing that has been sucessfully used in replacement of it.

maybe i should reword that.. the dexron 3s DO work, but they develope some pretty severe shifting issues, along with massive torque converter shudder.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews

no, theres nothing that has been sucessfully used in replacement of it.

maybe i should reword that.. the dexron 3s DO work, but they develope some pretty severe shifting issues, along with massive torque converter shudder.
    That is true to the word guys. I got my new tranny installed by a shop here, a family owned type joint. They did a good install, only took like 5 days LOL But I am sure they filled it with Dexron 3 fluid because that's what the owners manual says will work. 8000 miles later I have the shittiest shifts that are harsh and literally jolt the car, and NO Mitsu dealerships to fix it. The closest one is 450 miles away in Anchorage :cry:
    Sometimes when I pull into a parking space and put the car in park as soon as I let off the brake the car rocks back and forth for a few seconds!
    I'm so screwed.... :nope:
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>