The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Scratched Rear Chrome Trunk Trim : Fix?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member

Scratched Rear Chrome Trunk Trim : Fix?

When I was removing the letters GALANT on the trunk, I scratched it really bad. I heated the glue with a blow dryer, and took the letters off with a flathead. My stupidity caused me leave deep scratches in the trim. The chrome is still intact but it has a whole bunch of multi-directional scratches.

Does anyone know how easy is it sand the peice and respray it with some chrome spray paint? Will the spray paint look like the original?

What if just bought a new one? How much does cost?

Thank You

VIO
    there's nothing you can really do to repair the damage. you have a couple options as far as i can see. you can pull off the trim and paint it. you can paint it to match the body color, you can paint it black, if you paint it with chrome paint it will just look like shiny silver paint. i've never seen chrome paint actually come out mirrored chrome. some other options are covering it with carbon fiber or a carbon fiber look alike vinyl. you could see if you can find chrome tape wide enough to cover the piece. or you can cover it with colored vinyl tape it you want. i think the chrome tape would produce the most "oem" like look. just remember to sand the piece before you cover it with anything be it paint or vinyl or cf.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    you could buy anotherone take the letters of it so you have enough letters for both of you doors and be carefull with it so you don't scratch it and you can replace the original crome thinggy
    -Pedro

akiraflux
    now who the hell told you to take em off that way?

try getting some car wax and polishing it. that might help things look less visible. another option is to get some chrome tape or vinyl and just covering the whole piece with it. then it owuld be very hard to tell. i saw a roll at the auto parts store for like 5-10 dollars.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yeah using fishing line is so much easier... hopefully you will be able to find a fix for it though. good luck

Experienced TGC Member
    Thanks for the replies, Right now Im going to try to buy a new one. BTW: I took the letters off because some of them were missing. As it was it spelled ALAN. And my name isn't Alan.

i took mine off as well, none were missing, i just shaved all the emblems off the trunk except the mitsu logo. but who told you to take them off with a screwdriver?

Experienced TGC Member
    ^hehe , yours truly...

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet BLaK
    Thanks for the replies, Right now Im going to try to buy a new one. BTW: I took the letters off because some of them were missing. As it was it spelled ALAN. And my name isn't Alan.

LOL, you could have left it like that and developed a new identity. LOL
    -Pedro

luxcrusr2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet BLaK
    Thanks for the replies, Right now Im going to try to buy a new one.
    Be careful when going to the dealer, mine quoted me $170 for that piece new! :shock: I wound up going to Copher's U-Wrench It in Tampa and got it for $12.