The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AMSS Headers - is this normal??

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    ybonics

AMSS Headers - is this normal??

I've been having some problems with my AMSS Headers install in a V6. Got everything but the front header does not want to connect to the Y-pipe correctly. I took it off the car and took pictures of all three sides of the gap. It was bigger when I had it on the car, but I'm pretty sure this is still not normal...but wanted to get everyone's opinion also

Fast99ES
    Woah...that might cause some probs...does the gasket fill the gap around the pipe tho? I can see around the outer portion but not the inner...those gaps dont look normal tho...I would ask a AMSS rep bout that,or hopefully somone on our site has some info regarding that

It looks like the flange is just slightly bent. Could have happened in manufacture or shipping. I think it can be fixed. I would put another gasket in there, so you have two and then crank down on those bolts with an impact wrench. That should tighten both flanges to the gaskets. The worst that could happen is you snap off a header bolt.

It looks like the gasket is metal, and it should be. But if it isn't, make sure you put a header gasket in there from the auto parts store. They're made to withstand the heat and provide an airtight seal.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ybonics
    Yeah, I think the flange is bent - I'll try to contact AMSS about it but who knows if and when they'll reply. I had it like this and drove it around for maybe 100 miles and the gasket broke off. Granted this is less of a gap than it was originally... ok, I'll still try to contact AMSS.