The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Check and Change your tranny Fluid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35
    cdaw2001ES

How to Check and Change your tranny Fluid

Abridged from the SM

To check the fluid.
    1. Warm up vehicle - and drive it around t. - If you want to be scientific, get the trany fluid to 158-176 deg F - And it may take a while to get there.

2. Park on a level surface

3. Move the gear selector thru all positions, and back to "N", and apply parking brake

3 1/2. Look around the Transaxle, under the vehicle for any leaks and to generally inspect the condition

4. Clean any dirt away from the dip stick area

5. Pull the dipstick, and smell the fluid. If it smells burnt - You should flush it - that means a trip to the dealer or someone with a flushing machine. If it’s real bad – you should probably have the trany serviced by a pro.

6. Observe the Color - if it is darker brown, or not pink, but doesn’t smell burnt - change it. If its clean and pink and smells like trany fluid, no need to change, unless you are over 60K miles and you haven't changed it yet

7. Wipe off the stick, and reinsert it, and pull it

8. Observe where the level is:

9. If the level is low, add some fluid
    DIAMOND ATF SP III, ATF SP II M or equivalent

10. Re-check level

11. When you get it where it needs to be, replace the dipstick tightly.

If you need to change it - and don’t have a flushing machine:

1. Turn off Car

2. Place a container under the car to catch the fluid (3.7 Quarts) (about 8 Quarts total – be prepared)

3. Disconnect this hose (goes from radiator or cooler to trany)
    It's pictured Looking at the bottom of the radiator - Using this hose will flush the old fluid from the cooler core.

4. Turn on car and place in "N" for MAX of 1 MINUTE, or until all fluid has drained. Then turn off.

5. Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan - 2.1 more quarts should come out

6. install a new gasket (same as oil plug gasket) the smaller side goes towards the pan. You could reuse the gasket - but check for leaks if you do.- but best to replace it.

7 Reinstall the drain plug, and Tighten to 24 Ft-lb

8. Pour in up to 5.8 Quarts of new fluid and repeat step 4. - This will flush out any old fluid still in the trany. (3.7 more quarts should come out)

9.Pour in 3.7 more quarts of new fluid

10 Reconnect the hose disconnected in step 3

11. Run car for 2 minutes, then cycle the gears ending in "N" with parking brake applied

12.Check that the level on the dipstick is in the Cold zone.
    13. Replace dipstick and check for leaks
    14. Repeat the top of this post and check the hot level

15. You should be done.

You will have collected about 8 Quarts of old fluid
    And you will have used about 10 Quarts of new fluid

some tips.

the nipple from the oil cooler. put like a hose or something on the end of that and route it to the drain pan. that or get two drain pans. on for the hose and one for that nipple. be careful, the nipple will spray the oil about 3-4 feet from the nipple itself. so make sure your pan is set at the right place. i used a big alluminum pan to catch the oil.

the older 8g's have an external filter. looks like an oil filter. get that changed while you're at it.

on my car, i couldn't fit a wrench acound the drain plug. it has a piece of metal to protect it going around it. make sure you have a socket for that drain plug before starting. i had to ride my bike to the hardware store to get the socket for the drain plug.

you add the fluid where the dipstick goes in. not stated in the tutorial.

the drain plug, at least mine is, is magnetic. all the metal shavings will stick to that. there shouldn't be alot, thats another thing to check.. also, don't forget to clean that off before reinstalling.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

cdaw2001ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i had to ride my bike to the hardware store to get the socket for the drain plug. Â*

you add the fluid where the dipstick goes in. not stated in the tutorial. Â*
    </div>

LOL
    Thanks for the added tips -but - I wanted to see someone try to put the fluid in the via drain plug

Gilhuly
    The service manual is basically full of s--t. Change your tranny fluid every 30K regardless - that sounds like the 99 service manual. I came dangerously close to messing up my tranny going off that advice. It seemed to go all at once and then I all of a sudden had pretty dark fluid.

my 2k1 service manual says that. the 99 manual should talk about the external tranny filter also. i did what the service manual says and things are going good for me and my car.

Gilhuly
    To each his own. I would consider it cheap insurance of sorts.

I just don't think they're doing anybody a service talking about every 60 for a part that takes so much abuse

SuperchargedGTZ
    I have looked all over, and I cant find the dipstick for the tranny....i must be freakin blind.....and is the drain plug the plug that is facing directly to ground....sorry for the stupid question, but i lost my service CD and I cant seem to find the dipstick or plug.....I am going to put in REDLINE ATF this week...has anyone else put this in???

its on the top of the tranny. its a white coloed stick. its to the right of the front valve cover and under the intake piping.

SuperchargedGTZ
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>its on the top of the tranny. its a white coloed stick. its to the right of the front valve cover and under the intake piping.</div>

Thanks Pinoy.....I found it....it was under my blower... :laughing:

Anyone have the original pics or working pic links for this tutorial?

Also, what is the plug and/or gasket size for the tranny plug?

loser00
    is there anyway this can be updated cause i cant see the pics and i need to change the fluid thank you

loser00
    thank you thank you

now that link is down too...

for future reference, never use your personal website for anything useful. there is no guarantee it will be there next month, let alone years from now.
    upload pictures to flickr or a reputable image host (imageshack, photobucket) and make sure they are in google cache for added protection.

I was able to pull that wesite from the internet archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/200601141...s/TrannyFlush/
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken
    now that link is down too...

for future reference, never use your personal website for anything useful. there is no guarantee it will be there next month, let alone years from now.
    upload pictures to flickr or a reputable image host (imageshack, photobucket) and make sure they are in google cache for added protection.

I was able to pull that wesite from the internet archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/200601141...s/TrannyFlush/
    i updated the link to my new webspace.

but yea, actually, the main reason i put up my tutorials is for my own benefit. iif im away from home, or on another computer, i can always pull up what I need from the net instead of driving home and getting it off my desktop. you can say my webspace is like my backup.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6

but yea, actually, the main reason i put up my tutorials is for my own benefit. iif im away from home, or on another computer, i can always pull up what I need from the net instead of driving home and getting it off my desktop. you can say my webspace is like my backup.
    true, i do that kind of stuff too, and gmail. ;)

thanks for posting this, very helpful. i've got 78k on my original tranny, havent flushed it yet so i'm going to buy a quart of Diamond ATF today and compare the smell of it to what's in my car. right now it looks light brown, no real signs of red/pink and can't tell for sure if it smells burnt but it doesn't pop out as being so. hope it's ok to post on this thread seeing as it is a howto.

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6

true, i do that kind of stuff too, and gmail. ;)

thanks for posting this, very helpful. i've got 78k on my original tranny, havent flushed it yet so i'm going to buy a quart of Diamond ATF today and compare the smell of it to what's in my car. right now it looks light brown, no real signs of red/pink and can't tell for sure if it smells burnt but it doesn't pop out as being so. hope it's ok to post on this thread seeing as it is a howto.
    ok it smells burnt, gotta make a trip to the dealer then. =/

TGC Regular
    OK after reading this post, I have never gotten my car seviced at the dealer. I have done just the normal oil changes every 3k miles. I am at 75k miles now. IF i bring my car to Mitsubishi for maintenance what would they do? I would like them to change the tranny fluid, what else should they do? And finally how much do you think that would run?

Tranny change, coolant change, timing belt, alternator belt, power steering belt, balance belt, tensioner, water pump. $800-1200 depends on the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Tranny change, coolant change, timing belt, alternator belt, power steering belt, balance belt, tensioner, water pump. $800-1200 depends on the dealer.
    Getting the following done at the dealer this weekend:
    2003 2.4L Galant $775 for: Timing Belt - Alt. Belt - Power Steering Belt - Tensioner - Balance Belt - Water Pump

Transmission Flush - $180, will be doing it either then or another day depending on how much cash i eat up this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast