The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt HELL!!!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Slammed90Galant

Timing Belt HELL!!!

Okay peeps, I need some input, because this is the third time I have taken my damn motor apart... I can take the timing cover off and everything in like 20 minutes now... I think that I might have a problem with the automatic tensioner, but I don't know. The timing belt actually "vibrates" when it goes across the cam gears. All of the timing marks line up everywhere, and I've readjusted and taken the timing belt off 3 times already. Not to mention the last time that I took the car out, it would vibrate at just under 2000 and 3000 RPM, probably related to the belt tension. I also have the tensioner pulley and the tensioner arm to about the right torque. SOmebody please help me, I am going insane...
    :explode: :firedevil:

i would say you have your oil pump / balance shaft out of synch.

just lining up the timing marks on that particular gear does NOT mean the timing is on, as its on a 2 to 1 gear reduction. You need to remove the plug from the rear of the block to verify that the balance shaft is at the bottom of its bore.

Slammed90Galant
    Ic, but where is this plug in the block? I don't really have a clue so humor me. thanks anyway tho.

ken inn
    does the vibration get worse at higher rpms, or does it smooth out? does it idle smooth, or is it a lumpy idle? a very common mistake in the timing belt on the twin cams is the exh cam wants to turn one tooth clockwise. if it does, then the motor has a lumpy idle, but runs really smooth and very strong above 3k rpm. if you have the balance shafts out of phase, it will vibrate like a mofo as it revs higher, at about 4k, you will think the motor is going to jump out of the car. the plug for the hole to line up the rear shaft is back by the starter, you have to really look. it is a bolt that looks like it is all by itself, not attached to anything.

heres what Im talking about. the screwdriver MUST be able to go into the hole. if its blocked, the balance shaft is at the top of its bore.

Slammed90Galant
    Well, thanks you guys, the pic really helped. Don't worry about the exhaust camshaft because I did happen to notice that it flung the belt around when I took it off the first time. I have the haynes manual for the car and it has the ABSOLUTE WORST pic there... it has like 2 lines and a bolt for a pic. I am gonna have to check that plug ASAP. Thanks. IF the problem persists, I'll be on here again.

Slammed90Galant
    thanks a lot for the help u guys. I got the thing running again and its back to its old self again. Peace!