The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cross-drilled, Dimpled or Slotted Rotors

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    clone2020

Cross-drilled, Dimpled or Slotted Rotors

I'm leaning towards the cross-drilled & slotted rotors but I want to get some input from you guys first.

I could see not getting cross-drilled rotors if Billy Bob drilled the holes with his rusty 1/8th" drill bit but how much integrity loss is there using cross-drilled vs dimpled?

Also, what causes warped rotors? the heat? pressure?

I found a couple articles on the subject.

from http://www.brakewarehouse.com/tec3.htm
    "Some people prefer slotted rotors because of problems that came about
    when cross drilled rotors first came to market. At that time quite frequently the holes were drilled too large, penetrated the cooling vanes, and were not radiused or chamfered. The end result was that the rotor lost its structural integrity and tended
    to crack, so slotted rotors were developed. They do help dissipate the hot gasses,
    but not to the same degree as cross drilled, usually lowering operating temperatures about 100 degrees. They also tend to wear brake pads quicker because the slots act like a razor blade each time they go by. We always recommend cross drilled unless you are particularly concerned with structural integrity. "

from http://www.brakewarehouse.com/pwrstp1.htm
    "Some enthusiasts prefer slots because they feel the rotor maintains a higher level of structural integrity as opposed to drilling the same rotor. This is a valid argument, though only in the severest applications will the integrity of a cross-drilled rotor become an issue. "

ANY of that crap is purely cosmetic. It does absolutly NOTHING for the performance of brakes.

you wont find a true race car on the planet that uses drilled or grooved rotors. Hell, ferrari comes right out and says the only reason they installed them is because "customers want to look fast".

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    ANY of that crap is purely cosmetic. It does absolutly NOTHING for the performance of brakes.

you wont find a true race car on the planet that uses drilled or grooved rotors. Hell, ferrari comes right out and says the only reason they installed them is because "customers want to look fast".
    Thanks many...

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews

Yeah just look at the Evo and STi...you'd think that they'd benefit most from such cooling technology when their owners take them autocrossing, but they use solid rotors. Still...I'm sure they do offer a super slight benefit.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison