The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Start problem wierd sound..

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member

Start problem wierd sound..

When I crank the car, usualy from a cold start it cranks for a second and then it will just stop as if like someone stuck a screw driver and prevented the gears from spinning, not like power cut from the starter more like something stuck.

Let off the key and crank again and it starts right up. I noticed today on the logger had an error for speed sensor and I clear it but it comes back after I restart the car, the speedometer and logger speed readings DO work. I think I remember someone saying the speed sensor has a long shaft that is drivin off the tranny do you think its the item that is stoping the car from turning over somthing like the gear on the sensor is binding?

What else would cause a speed sensor error on a 2g ecm but still let the sensor work correctly?

Rob
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the speed sensor is too small to cause anything like that to happen... and besides, its driven only when the car is moving, not when its cranking.

as for the actual source of the problem, well, thats gonna be tough without the car in front of me.
    if you keep your ignition in the crank position even after it feels like its "stopped", what happens? does it eventually turn over again, or is it dead in the water until you release the key and return it?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the speed sensor is too small to cause anything like that to happen... and besides, its driven only when the car is moving, not when its cranking.

as for the actual source of the problem, well, thats gonna be tough without the car in front of me.
    if you keep your ignition in the crank position even after it feels like its "stopped", what happens? Â*does it eventually turn over again, or is it dead in the water until you release the key and return it?</div>

When I crank and it sudenly stops cranking holding the key in the crank position I believe will make it continue to crank after a second or two. But maybe I am letting off the key a lil and then pushing it back to Start, I will have to pay attention today when/if it happens.

What would be a possible cause for either situation?

Rob
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

is something preventing the engine from turning over? like a siezing alternator, or other accessory?
    or maybe the battery is just croaking on you?

Experienced TGC Member
    If I hold the key down it does sudenly continue to crank aftr like 2 seconds. I doubt its the battery because at first crank its a full power crank then it comes to a sudden hault, not a slow crank to nothing as a dead battery would. And Then holding the key at start sudenly wakes the starter back up again.

It only happens at a cold start. After that initial time, it will crank right up with no stopping until the car sits and cools down.

As far as driving and accesories, everything is fully operational, no power problems, engine is still pulling like a lil beast, a/c works great.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    is something preventing the engine from turning over? like a siezing alternator, or other accessory?
    About siezing accessories...Occasionaly I do hear what sounds like paper cought in the belts and then sudenly the paper gets ripped apart and they go silent again. Thats pretty much what it sounds like, belts defintly need to be changed, just wondering if that could have anything to do with this..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    About siezing accessories...Occasionaly I do hear what sounds like paper cought in the belts and then sudenly the paper gets ripped apart and they go silent again. Thats pretty much what it sounds like, belts defintly need to be changed, just wondering if that could have anything to do with this..
    Anyone got any idea? I checked the belts theyre all fine, all of the accessorie pullys spin freely and have no biding. The shrdeding paper sound doesnt happen often but its just such a wierd sound..

The starter still has its problem too..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon