The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo or supercharger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Mitsu turbo's are pretty safe to run on our cars as long as the setup is correct. You can take a 14b turbo, exhaust manifold, etc. from a 2nd generation turbo eclipse and it bolt up to your motor (assuming its a 4cylinder). Stock internals can handle about 6-8 pounds of boost safely. If you plan on running more than that, better get some new pistons and rods. The key to turbocharging a N/A motor is timing and ignition. Invest $300 in an Air/Fuel controller and make sure you have a good mechanic install your setup. You cant use any kind of advanced igniton timing with turbochcarged or nitrous injected cars because it will case detonation and a whole lot of $$$ to repair. Timing is key to everything. Boost (within reason) doesn't kill motors, improper installation and/or timing kills motors. If you have any more questions just post em and ill help ya out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    turbo the 7g man, keep it! keep it already!

4g64t DOHC is all you need...

HKS 264 intake cam($299)
    HKS 272 exhaust cam($299)
    Wiseco Low comp 8.5.1 pistons($500)
    crower rods($650)
    Crower Valve Spring And Retainer Set($260)
    fpr($120)
    safc($280)
    ARP head, connecting rod, main crankshaft bolts($190)
    660cc injectors of choice($350)
    AEM fuel rail($180)
    reg td05 20g turbo($700)
    evo III exhaust manifold($200)
    ported 02 housing and 3" down pipe($150)
    3" cat back w/ race cat($250)
    a nice size fmic($600)
    custom intercooler piping($50)
    LSD is a must($700)
    act 2600lb clutch($300)
    HKS Metal Head Gasket($200)
    lightened flywheel($390)
    walbro 255 fuel pump($130)
    greddy type s bov pshhhhhhht! )($200)
    PocketLogger($150)
    manual boost controller($80)
    Misc oil feed lines, ect($300)
    ----------------------------------------
    one freaking fast galant, probably ~500hp

holy crap i just spent $7,160 lmao. wow, my car will be fast once i get rich :lauging:
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    turbo the 7g man, keep it! keep it already!

HKS 264 intake cam($299)
    crower rods($650)
    fpr($120)
    safc($280)
    AEM fuel rail($180)
    reg td05 20g turbo($700)
    a nice size fmic($600)
    LSD is a must($700)
    act 2600lb clutch($300)
    lightened flywheel($390)
    PocketLogger($150)

holy crap i just spent $7,160 lmao. wow, my car will be fast once i get rich
    :lauging:
    That's an awful lot of stuff for 500hp, and i doubt it would be a 500hp galant. By the way, lightened flywheels do not add power. If you have an SAFC you really don't NEED a fuel pressure regulator. I can get you a manual boost controller for about $20, don't know where you are buying yours. If you're planning on using all the boost a 20g is worth, you will need an alchohol or water injection kit.

I could make a civic with 600hp, street driveable, and very reliable for less than $7k. basic set-up, H22A, sleeved, with a T3/T04 turbo set up. that's about 5k right there, and you are running 12's with a shitty driver. If you put ANY effort into the motor after that, you can easily be in the 11's.
    Of course, you could always spend 7k to get in the 13's if you want.

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>turbo the 7g man, keep it! keep it already!

HKS 264 intake cam($299)
    crower rods($650)
    fpr($120)
    safc($280)
    AEM fuel rail($180)
    reg td05 20g turbo($700)
    a nice size fmic($600)
    LSD is a must($700)
    act 2600lb clutch($300)
    lightened flywheel($390)
    PocketLogger($150)

holy crap i just spent $7,160 lmao. Â*wow, my car will be fast once i get rich
    :lauging:</div>
    That's an awful lot of stuff for 500hp, and i doubt it would be a 500hp galant. By the way, lightened flywheels do not add power. If you have an SAFC you really don't NEED a fuel pressure regulator. I can get you a manual boost controller for about $20, don't know where you are buying yours. If you're planning on using all the boost a 20g is worth, you will need an alchohol or water injection kit.

I could make a civic with 600hp, street driveable, and very reliable for less than $7k. basic set-up, H22A, sleeved, with a T3/T04 turbo set up. that's about 5k right there, and you are running 12's with a shitty driver. If you put ANY effort into the motor after that, you can easily be in the 11's.
    Of course, you could always spend 7k to get in the 13's if you want.</div>

No offense or anything, but you were doin alright til your last post. I don't think anyone on this board cares what you can do to a Honda with $7K or what you can do with a Honda for $7.

The people here that are working on or have already turbo'ed their Galant are trying to do something different, and with a whole lot less research time and manpower (so to speak) to work things out than someone with a Honda that can go to a random parking lot and talk about it with 3 or 4 other kids that have already done the same thing.

I know this isn't relevant to this post really, but I'm in a bad mood and felt like saying it.

brandon
    Not to say it isn't good to have other's opinions posted... and my apologies if it came off sounding snotty or anything (just re-read it).

I Need to go home!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    well you 100% would be in the 12s with some slicks. 13s would only take about 300hp

and hondas are ugly, so who cares if they are fast :lauging: jk

not everything i posted makes power, you think a clutch makes power? it makes it so u can handle power, which is the reason for getting it. you could just slap in a 4g63t if you wanted some quick and reliable power, and i dont even want to get into a 4g63t vs h22a arguement :lauging:

you dont NEED a fpr, but a lot of times the stock will not push as much fuel into the rail as id like, hence fpr was added to the list.

and i like quality parts, thats why my manual boost controller costs around $70, sure i could buy a cheap $20 off eBay but i dont want cheap parts...
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>No offense or anything, but you were doin alright til your last post. I don't think anyone on this board cares what you can do to a Honda with $7K or what you can do with a Honda for $7.
    </div>
    Well then God forgive me for sharing information. If you look REALLY closely i wasn't bashing on galants, simply talking about hondas. If you really feel like making a big deal about it, PM me.
    I know my Honda is not fast, but I do plan on being in high 13's for $2500. Forgive me for mentioning a car other than a mitsubishi. I'm not trying to come on here starting shit. But I'm also not going to talk about galants only. I prefer to use my knowledge of cars that I have previously applied in order to talk about other cars. We all have Otto cycle engines on this site, don't we? Just because mine's a Honda and yours is a Mitsubishi doesn't mean our cars don't function on the same basic principle.
    Thank you.

brandon
    Umm, in regards to the post above...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Not to say it isn't good to have other's opinions posted... and my apologies if it came off sounding snotty or anything (just re-read it).

I Need to go home!</div>

GalantGuy96
    oops, i forgot i posted this thread, i kept on seeing turbo vs. supercharger in the recent posts place and it didnt sound interesting so i never read it, now that i finally oped it i found out that it was one of my own posts i made long ago...i feel stupid :oops:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Umm, in regards to the post above...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Not to say it isn't good to have other's opinions posted... and my apologies if it came off sounding snotty or anything (just re-read it).

I Need to go home!</div></div>
    I missed that last part. My bad, my apologies. :oops:

Gir
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    You need to pick a turbo that will spool in time for you to take advantage of it's power, while still being able to provide enough boost for that tire-melting top end power. For an extreme example, putting a GT-40 ball-bearing turbo capable of well over 30 psi on a 2.0L 4 cylinder will do more harm than good, if you could even fit the turbo in the engine bay. Reason being, it wouldn't even begin to spool until 7500-9k RPM's, if then. This leaves you with NO usable power whatsoever.
    By the same token, putting a T25 on an LS1 camaro is pretty pointless as well. The turbo would spool almost instantly, most likely it would be spooled by 1000 RPM's. Reason being it is putting out a much larger volume of exhaust gases per engine cycle. It would hit its peak boost instantly, leaving you with 15 or whatever psi the entire way down the track, and within a few runs, leaving you with a melted mass you used to call a turbo. :D
    The specifics, such as figuring out the inertia of the exhaust gas turbine and deciding what kind of engine will spool this turbo properly takes forever to explain. Just an idea of it is this: Higher displacement does not always equal faster spool. FOr example a 2.0L honda motor, with low-lift, short duration cams will spool a turbo slower than a 1.8L motor with low-lift, long duration cams. Cams are integral to the operations of a turbo system.

I will have to raise the BS flag here. You say a GT40 is way too large for a 2 liter motor? A friend of mine Travis just got through building a SR sentra with a GT35/40 turbo. It'll probably be putting down around 550 hp. GT series turbos spool very well since they are ball bearing turbos. Far as I remember, full spool on that turbo was at 4k, not 7-9 as you are claiming. If that was the case, John Shepard wouldn't have a chance at pulling 8's like he just got through doing in his DSM. Last I heard, he was running the largest FP turbo that they make, which is basically a modified GT. Will it fit? hells yes it fits...

http://www.fi-r.com/Dionscardone2.jpg

The point you were making about backpressure is only an issue if you have reversion. Reversion is basically the problem if you have too small of a turbo and you have positive pressure on the exhaust side. Your exhaust gases basically would be overpowering the turbo. In a 2 liter motor with a huge GT40, you will never have that problem. If you strap a 13g onto a 2.4 liter galant motor then yes you will have reversion almost guranteed. Once again, do not confuse people by posting things that you don't really know.

stryker204
    ok...im just gettin tired of this honda guy commin in here and trying to teach us shit that we allready kno....or trying to disclaim anything that we might kno....so heres the point....GIR has pointed out that our friend Travis has slapped on a GT35/40 on a Sentra....turbo is actually spoolin in the low 3k range....the GT series turbos were designed for small displacement motors to spool with no problem and still create lots of boost....and as everyone might kno the Sentra is a 2lit. motor....i personally am throwing on the same turbo on my motor when she is ready....and with the .4 xtra displacement i am looking for great results....but again the point it....gt35/40 is not to big to throw on a small dis. motor....

Pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inb...rmarket%20turbo

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inb...other%20install

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inb...3540%20on%20car

my bad then, i must have been mistaken about the GT-40 turbo. Someone i know was having problems spooling around 4k with his MKIV Supra. I'm not trying to "confuse" anyone, and I don't think you all are inferior to me or anything. I was offering my take on the turbo issue. I have just as much to learn as many people on this site, and I know that I have many superiors on here as well. I'm just a little more vocal with opinions.

And that last comment about trying to tell you things you already know, well I'm sorry we're all not as good as you. Some people DON'T know, so I was trying to help.

stryker204
    if ur friend is having trouble spooling that turbo with a supra.....something is very very veryx20 wrong with that car.....and its ok.....u cant be right all the time JFWY

Quote Originally Posted by stryker204
    if ur friend is having trouble spooling that turbo with a supra.....something is very very veryx20 wrong with that car.....and its ok.....u cant be right all the time JFWY
    haha i know man, i'm learning too!

stryker204
    well im guessing this thread is dead....so good luck with ur turbo setup....and sorry for hijacking ur thread....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12