The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo or supercharger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36
    GalantGuy96

turbo or supercharger

what do u guys think?
    turbo or super charger?
    i like the extra power of a super charger but i dont know about the gas consumption.
    does it take a lot of gas?
    turbos are good too but not as much power as i would like.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    if you have a 96 like in your name they do not make a s/c kit for our cars. you could have a custom s/c kit made, but it would cost a ton

and if you think turbos dont offer enough power for the 7g, obviously you do not know very much about them.
    7g for life!

GalantGuy96
    i said what turbos are good too but not as much power AS I WOULD LIKE.
    and no, its not for my g, its for the m3 i am getting soon.
    i know this is the wrong place to ask but i just want opinions.

so what kinda power WOULD YOU LIKE?
    7g for life!

GalantGuy96
    SUPER CHRARGER POWER, we have already been over this seth.
    a supercharger would be the best for a m3

cdaw2001ES
    BMW gave a 4cyl on turbo 1300HP back in the early F1 days ( I think thats still the record)

If you are allready set on a supercharger - Why ask?

i was confused at first, but we talked over AIM, mostly i hear people supercharging m3s, but i know nothing about m3s. might want to go over to the m3 board, ive been there a few times, but forget the addy
    7g for life!

go turbo, and u Can get more hp out of a turbo then a supercharger

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantguy96)</div><div class='quotemain'>SUPER CHRARGER POWER, we have already been over this seth.
    a supercharger would be the best for a m3</div>

OK.. so why are you asking for opinions? Sounds like you've already decided :?
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

orangbaligila
    hehe,... turbo can produce higher HP and more efficient than S/C as it is ex. gas driven, not engine momentum driven like S/C which actually robs some HP to spool its turbine, aka. increased rotational weight...

but turbo has its lag problem, which doesn't normally occur on S/C, since you can set the turbine of an S/C to spool from 1 rpm

S/C needs high rpm for it's maximum boost (correct me if i'm wrong here) while turbo will produce it's max. boost according to engine load (you hit full throttle, it starts to build boost up to max and maintain it to the level you decided the wastegate to vent it out.

well, those are some things that i know

oh yeah,.... turbo "is" cheaper

my personal opinion... i love a good turbo... nothing beats the noise of air spooling and then a nice blow off valve when changing gears... that feeling for me can never be matched with a supercharger...
    anthony

Which needs more matenence, more care, and more tune ups? I would like to do one in the future, but I wont be installing it, and I dont know all that much aboutt he engine in our car. So which would be easier on a "newbie"?

Experienced TGC Member
    Gir posted this up http://www.t04r.com/techturbovssuper.html

I think it pretty much sums it all up. Personaly I'd go turbo, potentially more power and I believe its more efficient.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Boost all the way.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

On an M3, Dinan i believe makes a supercharger for your car. A turbo set-up would be a little bit of work, but I'm sure that Dinan kit is also not cheap. I'd say roughly $8k, but that's just a huge guess.

As for turbo vs. supercharger, on MOST imports, you should choose a turbo, because it makes extensive use of the sky-high powerband on most tuned imports today. If you slapped a supercharger on, say, a Honda like mine, the powerband would be way down low where I would have no use for it, other than to spin my tires. On an M3 however, which is designed to be an all-around sports car, a nice accessible powerband is best, and a supercharger delievers this quite nicely. And turbo kits are cheaper, no doubt. It's EXTREMELY hard to custom-fab a s/c kit, but I'm junkyard turboing my Integra for a little less than $1000, no corners cut or anything.

On muscle/drag cars like Mustangs, Camaros, etc, which already have an ass-load of torque and wide wide gears, a supercharger is ideal because it takes advantage of the off-the-line power these cars already have.

Cars will make more power from a turbo, but an extremely accessible powerband with extreme amounts of torque can sometimes be more effective than a turbocharged, high-powerband motor. It all depends on what you're boosting.

FOr the M3, get the Dinan kit. For your galant, get a turbo set up.

Quote Originally Posted by orangbaligila
    hehe,... turbo can produce higher HP and more efficient than S/C as it is ex. gas driven, not engine momentum driven like S/C which actually robs some HP to spool its turbine, aka. increased rotational weight...
    a turbo adds backpressure in your exhaust system. This robs you of some hp too, especially when you are dealing with big big turbos on small engines. Some people need to learn to properly match a turbo to an engine...

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    a turbo adds backpressure in your exhaust system. This robs you of some hp too, especially when you are dealing with big big turbos on small engines. Some people need to learn to properly match a turbo to an engine...
    well maybe u can right a tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by 8ggalant
    i'm offering my advice. That last comment wasn't specific to anyone, I just know some people who think they can strap a T-76 or so on their 2.0L car and run 11's.

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ggalant
    i'm offering my advice. That last comment wasn't specific to anyone, I just know some people who think they can strap a T-76 or so on their 2.0L car and run 11's.
    i was being sarcastic and serious at the same tyme...when u said that last statement it didtn really help it any1...i dont kno much bout turbos myself...juss oem mitsu and mitsu upgrades (16g 20 stc)...so like i said...maybe u can shed some light on the subject

You need to pick a turbo that will spool in time for you to take advantage of it's power, while still being able to provide enough boost for that tire-melting top end power. For an extreme example, putting a GT-40 ball-bearing turbo capable of well over 30 psi on a 2.0L 4 cylinder will do more harm than good, if you could even fit the turbo in the engine bay. Reason being, it wouldn't even begin to spool until 7500-9k RPM's, if then. This leaves you with NO usable power whatsoever.
    By the same token, putting a T25 on an LS1 camaro is pretty pointless as well. The turbo would spool almost instantly, most likely it would be spooled by 1000 RPM's. Reason being it is putting out a much larger volume of exhaust gases per engine cycle. It would hit its peak boost instantly, leaving you with 15 or whatever psi the entire way down the track, and within a few runs, leaving you with a melted mass you used to call a turbo.
    The specifics, such as figuring out the inertia of the exhaust gas turbine and deciding what kind of engine will spool this turbo properly takes forever to explain. Just an idea of it is this: Higher displacement does not always equal faster spool. FOr example a 2.0L honda motor, with low-lift, short duration cams will spool a turbo slower than a 1.8L motor with low-lift, long duration cams. Cams are integral to the operations of a turbo system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast