The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CLEAR CORNERS (easy instructions with pix)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 126
    clone2020

CLEAR CORNERS (easy instructions with pix)

<span style='color:red'>NOTE: The key to clearing your corners is having the right tool to get between the orange plastic piece and the clear headlight assembly. The orange lens is wedged into the corner of the headlight assembly. The only thing that holds it into place is a couple millimeters of plastic on the edges except one side. That's the side where you "PULL" the orange lens out through the blinker hole.</span>

Here is the tool I used. You can get these from almost any hardware store for around $5. If you are unable to get one of your own, I will ship it to your door for $10.

TOOLS: 10mm socket wrench, pliers, cutters & small pry bar or "L" shaped tool.

REMOVAL OF HEADLIGHTS
    ------------------------------------
    1st: Remove the grill (held on by 6 black plastic clips)
    <span style='color:red'>tip: When putting the grill back, remember to snap the black plastic clips into the grill first.</span>
    2nd: Remove all 4 bulbs from the headlight assembly. (front and blinkers)
    3rd: Use a 10mm socket wrench to remove the headlight bolts.
    4th: Pull out the headlights.

CLEARING THE CORNERS
    -----------------------------------
    1st: Use a prybar or anything else to get under the orange plastic piece to pull on it until it breaks or pops out.
    <span style='color:red'>tip: Wrap the prybar with duct tape to prevent scratching.</span>
    2nd: Brake all the pieces you can until all of it has popped out from the clear housing. (like a rattle toy)
    3rd: Use the pliers and cutters to cut/brake the pieces and pull them out through the blinker socket.

DONE.

[b]<span style='color:red'>UPDATE!!! </span>

-Mike.

$$$ DONATE THROUGH PAYPAL $$$

[email protected] and/or [email protected]

escoson
    nice tutorial! made it easy for those that dont have clears that want them!

SilverKnight
    i like it. this toutorial is more for the KISS (keep it simple stupid) people like me.
    Good Job :thumbsup:

mighty
    it does read good.......thanks for everyone's help on this board. 8)

i tried clearin and didnt work but im gonna try ur way and hopefully itll work better with the prybar! wish me luck
    Diego

:idea: GREAT IDEA! im gonna clear mine... they look way better !!!!

[i][b]<span style='color:violet'>"Im in the building and im feeling like yeeeeee"</span>

here's another tip. don't use the pry bar to pry. you run a change fo breaking the lens. and thats worse than scratching it. use the pry bar or whatever to pull. pull towards the hole the pry bar came thru.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

JJHalter

Re: CLEAR CORNERS (easy instructions with pix)

Would that work the same for a 2002 the front grill is different.

Fracken21
    I just wanted to post a little tip from my experience in clearing my corners. After I got my grill off and my headlamps out, I tried using a bunch of different tools to get the amber piece to come loose. Nothing worked. But then I decided to make my own tool. All I did was get an old flathead screwdriver and bent about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of the top into a 90 degree hook. It was hard to bend, I did it with a pair of locking pliers and a hammer, a vise would work perfectly but i don't have one. Then covered it in eletrical tape so the metal tool didn't scratch anything, that bad. After the amber piece popped out of it spot I got a pair of needle nose pliers and a pair of wire cutters. if you don't have wire cutter's then you can use two pairs of needle nose pliers. Just keep cutting/breaking it into little pieces. I hope this helps you guys. If not, Sorry.

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>here's another tip. don't use the pry bar to pry. you run a change fo breaking the lens. and thats worse than scratching it. use the pry bar or whatever to pull. pull towards the hole the pry bar came thru.</div>

Yeah, don't pry on it. Just use the "L" shape end of the pry bar to get under the orange lens and pull on it until it breaks or pops out.

-Mike.

pretty important tip for idiots like me:

when using any tool, make sure it is thin enough so that when you pry, it doesnt hit the hole you went through! (the side corner hole) im lucky mine still has 1 groove left to hold the bulb.. the rest is pretty much sanded down plastic now.

hikix
    i finally did it yesterday!!!!! it really is a big pain in the ass, but im glad i got it over with.. i scratched the inside of the lens but not really noticible.. thanks for all your help guys!!!!!

akiraflux
    i used a butter knife. bent. but holy crap. first one DID take an hour. i broke a couple pieces out and just couldn't get the last out. second one took 3 minutes to break it all up and another 5 gettin it all out.

mighty
    I know this thread is about breaking them, but this weekend my dad helped me do the heating way, and to me, it is MUCH easier and cleaner!!!!!
    I can tell someone how I did it, if wanted.......

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mighty)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know this thread is about breaking them, but this weekend my dad helped me do the heating way, and to me, it is MUCH easier and cleaner!!!!!
    I can tell someone how I did it, if wanted.......</div>

The only reason I used the "Break & Pull" method was because I thought it would be too much trouble to remove the gasket and also the possibility of water seepage/leakage.

Did you heat the gasket and then pull it apart? Were you able to reuse the original gasket or did you have to use another one?

We should have an organized "tutorial" and "symptom/cause/solution" thread.

If I had the time, I'd do it all...

-Mike.

akiraflux
    my only problem with that way is it takes a lot longer. sure the first light took like 45 min to do...but the second one took like 5 min TOPS.

mighty
    I took my girlfriends hair dryer (it has a tip on the end and a "cold shot" button) I removed the 4 bolts, and the two grills.........easy as pie.....took the lights out......easy as pie.........tried on the left light to break out the amber piece........NOT easy (all of this is from my experience).......it's such a SMALL ass hole and that amber piece is harder than you think!!!!.....so I/we ended up cracking a little piece of the reflector......I said stop, we are doing it the heating way.
    took this dryer and put it on low heat and went over the 1/2' seal for about 10 minutes.......then started at the CORNER of the seal with a flat head, and SLOWLY but firmly slid it down the seal....the exopy is STICKY for your information.
    then heated the other side the same way........TAKE YOUR TIME, and all will be worth it......pulled the pieces apart.....once inside the light, there is a phillip screw, take this off, and on the other side is your amber piece......we pulled once REALLY hard and kind of fast, and it broke all out in one piece.....it was awesome because the amber "titties" were still on the amber piece....put the reflector back in, screwed down.
    now, I used the original seal, because I took my TIME.....started again on the corner (after pressing the two pieces back together as much as I could), and heated all down the trim again.....then we put the dryer on "cold shot " which is cold air basically, and pressed REALLY hard each little way to get the seal to "lay" back down.....all the way around BOTH sides we did this, and it is like I never opened it.
    now all my problem is I have to get the titamium amber bulbs

clone2020
    Yeah, I think the more professional way to clear your corners is to take it all apart, remove the orange lens and put it all back together like you did.

-Mike.

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.

Re: CLEAR CORNERS (easy instructions with pix)

Quote Originally Posted by JJHalter
    Would that work the same for a 2002 the front grill is different.
    it is exactly the same

...U N D E A D...

jumpordie
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> great instructs, gonna work on mine soon!! thanks alot; makes the ride look great.</div>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast