The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CLEAR CORNERS (easy instructions with pix)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 126
    Elwenil
    Hey guys, I did it. And it looks really kewl. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out since my 02 has the argent silver grille and black headlamps, but it totally rocks! Best of all it only took me 45 mins to do it! Most of the time was spent bending and grinding an old screwdriver into the shape I wanted to pull on the reflector, but man, was it worth it. And didn't cost me a dime! Great tip guys! I did scratch the chrome reflector inside a little, but I don't think anyone will notice unless they know to look for it. The second one took no time at all. I just pulled on the reflector and it broke into about 5 long pieces that fell right out of the headlamp bulb hole. What a deal! Here's a tip on putting the grille back in for those who don't know it already. Take the little "push clip to release" fasteners off of the radiator support and the headlamp assembly and put them in the grille first, then snap it all back into the radiator support. That way you don't have to try to get them all lined up at the same time and the clips are all securely locked. Anyway, that's all. Thanks again!
    Later...

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwenil
    Hey guys, I did it. And it looks really kewl. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out since my 02 has the argent silver grille and black headlamps, but it totally rocks! Best of all it only took me 45 mins to do it! Most of the time was spent bending and grinding an old screwdriver into the shape I wanted to pull on the reflector, but man, was it worth it. And didn't cost me a dime! Great tip guys! I did scratch the chrome reflector inside a little, but I don't think anyone will notice unless they know to look for it. The second one took no time at all. I just pulled on the reflector and it broke into about 5 long pieces that fell right out of the headlamp bulb hole. What a deal! Here's a tip on putting the grille back in for those who don't know it already. Take the little "push clip to release" fasteners off of the radiator support and the headlamp assembly and put them in the grille first, then snap it all back into the radiator support. That way you don't have to try to get them all lined up at the same time and the clips are all securely locked. Anyway, that's all. Thanks again!
    Later...

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that.

The first time I put the grill back on, only 2 or 3 of the clips would snap back into place until I figured out that you had to snap in the clips first.

I'll update the tutorial.

-Mike.

Yea the hardest part is to pry off the orange reflector. On my last attempt I was stuck there and I was afraid to break and scratch my silver inner reflector so I put back my left light bulb

I haven't tried to do it again.

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator
    Yea the hardest part is to pry off the orange reflector. On my last attempt I was stuck there and I was afraid to break and scratch my silver inner reflector so I put back my left light bulb

I haven't tried to do it again.
    Put some duct tape on your pry bar.

-Mike.

Kermit
    I gotta ?
    Is it illegal to have your headlights all the way clear? isn't there some kind of law where your turning signal has to be orange, or is the bulb inside orange? i dont know

Monkey
    Kermit - florida law states the light bulb needs to be amber colored and it is not illegal to clear out the lens... I've got the blue bulb and have already been pulled over for speeding (I'm fighting it... I wasn't speeding!!) But the highway cop said nothing about my corners and I drive everyday and the locals have left me alone too...

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit
    I gotta ?
    Is it illegal to have your headlights all the way clear? isn't there some kind of law where your turning signal has to be orange, or is the bulb inside orange? i dont know

It is not legal. That is why car companies put orange reflectors in order to comply to DOT standards. As far as how many po-po enforce it, I'm not sure; just like really dark tints. You can get in trouble for clearing corners tho

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator
    I gotta ?

It is not legal. That is why car companies put orange reflectors in order to comply to DOT standards. As far as how many po-po enforce it, I'm not sure; just like really dark tints. You can get in trouble for clearing corners tho

thats why I cleared my corners and kept them from blinking, put in clear bulbs, and re-located the "blinkers" with amber L.E.D.'s to a lower spot on my from bumper. Some people put side markers, but the problems you MAY have with this is you MAY not be able to see them from the front. You are supposed to be able to see them from the front when they blinking. Cops MAY give you shit if you only have side markers, but it depends on the cop. here is a pic of where I relocated the blinkers to on a 2003 front bumper....(they are in the little black part near foglight)

and
    [LIST]
    can't see it as good, but you get the idea.....

...U N D E A D...

TGC Regular
    sorry, clicked the LIST button and not IMG.....

...U N D E A D...

ned2xlr8

I cleared my corners.

I cleared my corners and it looks so much better. I commend whoever came up with this. I was looking for headlights with clear corners but this is the best cause it was free. It only took me 30 to 45 minutes. I did scratch the silver reflector but just a little. Thanks TGC!

Kermit
    KnightRider, what size are your rims? I got a 2k2 Titanium Pearl also, and I'm throwing 18's on it tomorrow. Thats a tight ass idea though with the blinkers in the bottom, how the hell did you go about doing it if you dont mind me asking............

TGC Regular
    KnightRider, what size are your rims? I got a 2k2 Titanium Pearl also, and I'm throwing 18's on it tomorrow. Thats a tight ass idea though with the blinkers in the bottom, how the hell did you go about doing it if you dont mind me asking............
    my rims, they are 19s.

and for the little light, I just cut out a hole small enough for them lights to fit thru. (make sure to cut a little smaller when you start out, cuz you can always cut some away, but you cant put any back ) then we just wired then into the blinker wires. easy. Im thinking about maybe putting some more along that same line horizontally, or str8 up and down(vertically.) We'll see.

...U N D E A D...

Just to let know, I clear my corners last saturday night (while I was watching American Choppers on Discovery) and I use the bake method,
    take me about half an hour to do both sides, very easy, clean.
    De que estamos hablando?

Monkey
    Yo knight that's genius on the blinker... nice work!

taking your head lamps apart method is best imo... nice and clean job fo sho!

Cleared them on sunday, using the pull and break method, did scratch the reflector a bit (unavoidable if you use any method than baking). Looks much better than stock.

b_stoened
    I like the baking method, cause when you're in there you can paint the chrome trim(except behind the blinker, gotta love masking tape). I went with flat black. That little cap that sits over the bulb the bulb got some too, but I masked a 1/4" vertical line down the center, snake eyes! I saved the orange tags, cut a mitsu star (tri-mond?) out of the center, and painted it black. At night it's really cool but durring the day it's hard to see, so I'm gonna get some reflective tape, and try to copy the outlined red logo. When it's done I'll get some pictures.

Geestylez
    I was trying to clear my corners doing the pulls and break method, but i'm having a hard time knocking the reflector loose. i don't know if i'm doing it wrong, but yeah i need help.

I don't know what to tell you Geestylez. You just can't be afraid and use all your might I guess. I actually never cleared my corners, but today after like 2 years of saying it, I took my headlights apart. I'm going to paint the inside housing black and smoke the amber lens with Nite Shades. The headlights were pretty easy to get apart after heating them up in the oven. That's what I recommend doing. Just pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees, wait 10 minutes and turn off the oven. Then, place one headlight on a cookie sheet and stick it in the oven for 10 minutes with the oven still off. When the 10 minutes is up take it out and pry up the tabs a little with a small flathead screwdriver. Then pry open the headlight from the flat end (the end that butts up to the grill) with the screwdriver. Once it starts to come open, just use your hands and pull it apart. Then do the same procedure for the other headlight. It was alot easier than I thought. The amber piece can then be removed in one piece real easily.

I forgot to mention...make sure you remove the rubber piece from around the main headlight bulb hole and the light bulbs before you put them in the oven.

NYmagicstk
    Hey all, I just finished clearing my corners, by going off the tutorial... It was so damn easy for those who haven't done it yet but want to. I started @ 11:30 pm, and finished @ 1am. That included taking the shit off the car, clearing then reinstalling. What took me the longest was taking the grill and shit off the car. Clearing took me 20 min mostly because I broke one butter knife, and had to heat another one up to bend it without breaking it. I scratched the reflector a lil, but not horribly.
    Thanx for the tutorial.

-Very satisfied Galant owner

FYI:

In ohio the law says the bulb has to be white or yellow.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast