The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: material under hood

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    schick

material under hood

Is there any reason to keep that sheet of cardboard type material attached to the under side of the hood?
    What's it there for, other than soundproofing?
    It's rubbing on my STB and I think taking it off and reclaiming that 1/4" will give the STB enough room. Plus mine is getting worn.

thanks

Experienced TGC Member
    I ripped mine off. Maz took his off too, neither of us have had any problems.
    Those gray push clip thingys are a bitch to get out, you may need something to clamp down on them to pull them off.

Mine was all green and moldy on the other side of it, I guesss you shouldn't spray it when cleaning your engine.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Dark Anghell
    Actually I would love to have one...They reflect some of the hear that's produced by the engine. I'm not sure if this is the cause of my problem, but in the past two years, my hood always get's dull after a few months. I bet it's the heat from the engine bay combined with the sun.

Soooo, keep that thing under the hood, it's not like you will save a lot of weight. Or if it looks ugly, I found out that dynomat , makes one with a mirror type of finish.

4G64
    I took mine out the second I got my car and wash the underside of the hood real nice cuz I like to see a shiny hood.... after taking it out.. it certainly make the car noisier... but I like it I can hear my intake roar... hehehe! just my 2 cents... I am a weirdo...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    Actually I would love to have one...They reflect some of the hear that's produced by the engine. I'm not sure if this is the cause of my problem, but in the past two years, my hood always get's dull after a few months. I bet it's the heat from the engine bay combined with the sun.

Soooo, keep that thing under the hood, it's not like you will save a lot of weight. Or if it looks ugly, I found out that dynomat , makes one with a mirror type of finish.
    if you go to jegs.com i believe they sell some stuff http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...281&prmenbr=361

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Kain
    Well, now I feel shorted. I don't have anything under my hood but very shiny white paint. If you want some I've got some asbestos crap under the hood of my Colt you can have...

that "cardboardy" thing under the hood is actually asbestos based and it is there to prevent heat transfer to the paint on the hood, if u remove it eventually engine heat will be felt on the hood or will be transfered and will eventually damage the paint

Experienced TGC Member
    I know I know. I asked Maz before I took mine off if he'd had any damage because of it... he said "no". We all know how nice his paint looks usually.

Maybe when I move back to a warmer climate I'll put something back on there...
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

AubDogg
    actually (this is what they told me in the training i took for being a car salesman):

it is to prevent engine fire from spreading.. u'll notice that behind the engine towards the passanger part of the car there is some of that shit too... when it catches on fire it melts into a foam (like the stuff they fight fires with) that extinguishes the fire it comes in contact with... so not too big of a deal unless u plan on taking a blow torch to ur engine... but if u burn up and die its not my fault