The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: why i4 vs v6?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 59
    Quote Originally Posted by law195
    So if it the supporting components that make the difference,you could add 3000gt parts to the g- v6 . What i'm getting at is would it be an easy swap basicaly, or order parts for a 3000gt and put them on like, you can order eclipse parts and put those on. :?:
    [/quote]

Since Manybrews gave the insight as to both the blocks are the same then technically you should be able to take 3kgt internals, hell why stop there swap heads too! Here ya go use this as parts

00GTZ00
    V6>I4

Ya you can add the SDS to the I4 and get 200whp, But you can ALSO add the SDS to the V6 and get 260whp PLus more torque than the I4

Over all in the long run if you put just as much $$$$ in each car (the V6 and the I4) the V6 will come out on top simple because their is no replacement for displacement!

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTZ00
    V6>I4
    Over all in the long run if you put just as much $$$$ in each car (the V6 and the I4) the V6 will come out on top simple because their is no replacement for displacement!
    Now thats not something that will ever change. But the added weight of a V6 does not equate to the lil hp and torque that is gained for less gas mileage and more expensive maintance. still think your on top? how long does it take for you to change your spark plugs??? couple hours lol...takes all of 20 min with an I4 in the dark! Still think your on top? I can go on and on...still think your on top ?

00GTZ00
    Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    Now thats not something that will ever change. But the added weight of a V6 does not equate to the lil hp and torque that is gained for less gas mileage and more expensive maintance. still think your on top? how long does it take for you to change your spark plugs??? couple hours lol...takes all of 20 min with an I4 in the dark! Still think your on top? I can go on and on...still think your on top ?
    How many Cyl are you fireing on? still think you are on top? What is your Tq numbers? What is your Hp #'s? still think you are on top?

But the added weight of a V6 does not equate to the lil hp and torque that is gained for less gas mileage
    the MPG? I4=City 21 HWY27 V6=City 20 Hwy27

Little HP? man you are the only one that thinks 50whp is a "lttle bit of hp".

I will give up that 1MPG for the 6 thank you. Still think you are on top?

it is also a well known that 100 lb differance in your car is about equall to .1 sec in the 1/4 so the v6 gives up ~.2 in weight But how much faster is it in the 1/4 than the 4? Still think you are on top?

I can go on and on...still think your on top ?
    YES!

Senior TGC Member
    Here is my take as a non-modder:

4 cyl - cheaper, better weight, more nimble, tighter turning radius, but slower, less maintenance cost, and in my case it just plain ate more gas than the V6 for some reason
    6 cyl - worse weight, more noseheavy, slightly quicker, more fuel efficient, but more expensive in cost and in maintenance, and bigger turning radius

In my ownership history I averaged 21.3 mpg with the 4 banger, and 23.7 with the V6.

As a modder:

4 cyl - um...well you can make it the all out best handler
    6 cyl - the most attainable power, plus it has tons of aftermarket support
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

i can't beleive guys would want a 4cyl over a 6?

SO True!!!! :thumbsup:

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadAche
    I bought my car just because i knew it way more potential than the V6 did.
    Just wondering, how so? After all, us V6 guys lean on the 3G GT/GTS aftermarket.

CT_GalantV6
    V6 -vs- I4

I'm an 'old school', American muscle V8 boy. Although I've never owned one, I have been in plenty of them and I can remember the days when dad had his '76 Corvette.

With that said, any who lives in CT know about the hills (moutains) here. I have had to go around countless I4's going up the hills around here. Plain and simple, bigger engine is more power and no freaking mountain will slow me down. I just give my 3.0 more gas to keep up the speed. No offence to you I4 guys and gals, but you just can't keep up going up Southington Mountain, most hills are like this- / but Southington is like this- l. Also back in Aug. '98 when I bought my G, gas wasn't $2.06/g for 93 octane.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CT_GalantV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>V6 -vs- I4

I'm an 'old school', American muscle V8 boy. Although I've never owned one, I have been in plenty of them and I can remember the days when dad had his '76 Corvette. Â*

With that said, any who lives in CT know about the hills (moutains) here. I have had to go around countless I4's going up the hills around here. Plain and simple, bigger engine is more power and no freaking mountain will slow me down. I just give my 3.0 more gas to keep up the speed. No offence to you I4 guys and gals, but you just can't keep up going up Southington Mountain, most hills are like this- / but Southington is like this- l. Also back in Aug. '98 when I bought my G, gas wasn't $2.06/g for 93 octane.</div>

2.06 for 93? Im paying 2.39 for 91.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought my car just because i knew it way more potential than the V6 did.</div>

Just wondering, how so? After all, us V6 guys lean on the 3G GT/GTS aftermarket.</div>

dah dont you think I4 leans on 3g Gs parts? Plainly put the motor is based on the ever popular 4g63t. I4 can also use turbo pt cruiser parts..its alot of lil stuff which makes more potential.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought my car just because i knew it way more potential than the V6 did.</div>

Just wondering, how so? After all, us V6 guys lean on the 3G GT/GTS aftermarket.</div>

dah dont you think I4 leans on 3g Gs parts? Plainly put the motor is based on the ever popular 4g63t. I4 can also use turbo pt cruiser parts..its alot of lil stuff which makes more potential.</div>

true dat. Never knew that i4 shares the same tubo parts as the pt cruiser. And doesnt the 4G63 go all the way back to the 2G eclipses as well?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>

true dat. Â*Never knew that i4 shares the same tubo parts as the pt cruiser. Â*And doesnt the 4G63 go all the way back to the 2G eclipses as well?</div>

1g included. or 6g galant (certain models gsx and vr4 I believe)

plus one more thing.

the smaller the engine, the more stress is on it to achieve the same power as a bigger engine would.
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

I bought my 4 cylinder because my 4-cylinder is faster than most of the V-6's out there. 8)

bam462
    you know i was wondering bout pt cruzer turbo parts for the past 3 months now. my mom has one do you think she will notice if its stolen outa her driveway :idea:

Quote Originally Posted by Jet BLaK

Never knew that i4 shares the same tubo parts as the pt cruiser. And doesnt the 4G63 go all the way back to the 2G eclipses as well?
    it doesnt.. dont know who gave you that info.

and the 4g engine goes back to 1971 (if i remember correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    I bought my 4 cylinder because my 4-cylinder is faster than most of the V-6's out there. 8)

that might have been true when your car first came out....nowadays a regular 4 door with a V6 will match or beat what you run ..
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

Quote Originally Posted by FRCFD6
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra

that might have been true when your car first came out....nowadays a regular 4 door with a V6 will match or beat what you run ..
    really now? If that is true, I would say that keeping up (which i know i would have problem doing) with a car with twice the displacement of mine would be a pretty decent accomplishment for a little 1.8L. And I know I can destroy most of the old and new V6's out there.
    And a v6 won't be able to come anywhere near me when i get my set up put together. 8)

escoson
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    i wonder what the ratio of i4 vs v6 made is...maybe that might have something to do with it. everytime i go to the dealer the v6's are rarer.

not that much difference i figured it out a whole ago and the ratios were within .01 - .03 of eachother (pounds per hp). i dont remember exactly but its within there somewhere.

and as forthe first post the 8g galant and 3g eclipse share the same motors.

lets make this into a poll, it might be onesided but lets see...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast