The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: GSX and VR4

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    TGC Regular

GSX and VR4

ok. if you bought a gsx, if you turbo it could you get it to the same power as a vr4? would any mods you do to it be transferable to the 4g63t?

also, is the tranny and drivetrain in the gsx as strong as the vr4 version? i heard in japan it was but i dont know about the US.

ConceptSleeper
    i dont think that turboing a GSX will give you the same power(or reliablity) i mean the GSX is n/a the VR4 is turbo right? so the GSX is running higher compression which wont work too well unless you buy pistons etc....to lower the compression! if your gonna turbo a GSX do it right build that engine real good! just my opinion

TGC Regular
    so which would cost more? getting a vr4 engine and rebuilding it to get low miles or take a gsx engine and rebuild that to get low miles and put a turbo on and the right pistons?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    so which would cost more? getting a vr4 engine and rebuilding it to get low miles or take a gsx engine and rebuild that to get low miles and put a turbo on and the right pistons?
    i meant if you already have the gsx engine which would be cheaper?

Rasko Da Gama
    i meant if you already have the gsx engine which would be cheaper?
    Definetely is way chipper to just go and buy a VR-4 engine. Even better - you should buy the whole front-cut of the VR-4 since you'll need wireing harness, ECU, Intercooler and all other stuff as well...

And like Concept said - if you put a turbo on a gsx you must change pistons, lift up the head, change ECU, and so much work that it is hard to do without a decent mechanic (wich has to be paid - labor work right?)

Anyway - like I said - put a 4G63T into that old schoolSOHC and youl fly like an angel

did i miss something here? are you talking about the eclipse GSX? the GSX is allready a turbo charged car. the 1G ('90-'94) had a 14b turbo 2.0L and the 2G ('95-'99) had a 25g turbo 2.0L, the same engine as the GST of the same years... both pushed more than 200hp stock. the only difference between the GST and GSX was that the GSX was AWD.

Rasko Da Gama
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    did i miss something here? are you talking about the eclipse GSX? the GSX is allready a turbo charged car. the 1G ('90-'94) had a 14b turbo 2.0L and the 2G ('95-'99) had a 25g turbo 2.0L, the same engine as the GST of the same years... both pushed more than 200hp stock. the only difference between the GST and GSX was that the GSX was AWD.
    No buddy, there was also a 6G Galant GSX (AWD DOHC - non turbo).
    That's what we were talking about

TGC Regular
    so is the tranny and drive train and stuff on the gsx as strong as the vr4?

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proud Galant Driver)</div><div class='quotemain'>so is the tranny and drive train and stuff on the gsx as strong as the vr4?</div>

no.
    transmission AND rear differential are different
    front brakes are different(vr4 is much larger)
    4g63t motor has oil squiters to cool the pistons
    rear wheel steering
    ecu
    front bumper and intercooler
    have you ever driven a gsx or a vr4? when i started looking for a vr4, i drove both several times. a stock gsx is slow. although the hp ratings of the vr4 is only 60hp more, torque is way more, something like 120 vs 205. torque will rip to pieces stuff like transmissions, transfer cases, axles, and differentials.

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proud Galant Driver)</div><div class='quotemain'>so is the tranny and drive train and stuff on the gsx as strong as the vr4?</div>

no.
    transmission AND rear differential are different
    front brakes are different(vr4 is much larger)
    4g63t motor has oil squiters to cool the pistons
    rear wheel steering
    ecu
    front bumper and intercooler
    have you ever driven a gsx or a vr4? when i started looking for a vr4, i drove both several times. a stock gsx is slow. although the hp ratings of the vr4 is only 60hp more, torque is way more, something like 120 vs 205. torque will rip to pieces stuff like transmissions, transfer cases, axles, and differentials.</div>

There ya go - a devoted GVR4 owner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>did i miss something here? Â*are you talking about the eclipse GSX? Â*the GSX is allready a turbo charged car. Â*the 1G ('90-'94) had a 14b turbo 2.0L and the 2G ('95-'99) had a 25g turbo 2.0L, the same engine as the GST of the same years... Â*both pushed more than 200hp stock. Â*the only difference between the GST and GSX was that the GSX was AWD.</div>

That's what we were talking about </div>

o i did not know they made a 6G GSX galant... was it american market?

ken inn
    actually, it is a GS-X. E38a body(vs E39a for the vr4). i think they were only 90 and 91 models imported.

1312VR4
    Also, someone mentioned that the 2g GSX had a 25g..It has a T-25. NOT a 25g.

HUGE difference.

J apmetal
    I have a GTi [Euro-badged GSX] and it has Rear-wheel steering & the E39a body ! From the outside it looks just like a VR4 [with obvious badging differences] right down to having the same wheels !

I've never seen another like it however [they're very rare over here, not sure about the States] so I dont know if I got a one-off, or one with some dealer-options [I have cruise control, altho no A/C] or what, but it sure is purdy

I think the GSX/GTi was one of those odd cars that Mitsubishi couldnt decide how to sell, as people from different coutries report different specs - kinda as if they just fitted whatever was lying around as each one went down the production line [although I'm sure there was some reasoning behind it !]

orangbaligila
    anything is possible...

but, something nice, practical, and reliable is not that easy to achieve,.. like t-charging a N/A engine...

i did it on mine just for the heck of it while i wait for my VR4 - EVO III - JUN hybrid-engine to be completed (common issue,... money, hehe...)

t-charging a N/A is possible as long as it's done moderately, no spiking-over-the-roof boost-level here,... (say, 5-10 psi,.. 10 is the fragile limit here,.. even with good fueling, like mine, got a standalone unit, but only 8 psi max. boost) , and it will be more expensive by the way,...

so if you got the money to play with, get a VR4 or EVO (up to III) engine,... if money is an issue, mod-ing a N/A DOHC motor is not that bad,... 200 HP not good enough?! (well,.. achieveable with some effort...)

Mitsuturbo
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>did i miss something here? Â*are you talking about the eclipse GSX? Â*the GSX is allready a turbo charged car. Â*the 1G ('90-'94) had a 14b turbo 2.0L and the 2G ('95-'99) had a 25g turbo 2.0L, the same engine as the GST of the same years... Â*both pushed more than 200hp stock. Â*the only difference between the GST and GSX was that the GSX was AWD.</div>

That's what we were talking about </div>

o i did not know they made a 6G GSX galant... was it american market?</div>
    It was USDM to a point.. they introduced 2570 of them as far as i know.. actually making them more RARE than a VR-4.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your best bet is to get a 4bolt rear, 1g transmission, and a 6bolt 4g63t. if you shop JUST for vr4 parts you will spend 10 times more...
    7g for life!

I agree with a light boost and stoc internals... 8lbs would to it justice. I doubt a jump from 135 to 200 will roast the trans maybe an old clutch but 5speed trans' can take some power. Can't say much about the differential as I haven't educated myself on them yet

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler

Did I miss something here? Why would you bump an 11 year old thread?
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile