The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Electric aerial motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    J apmetal

Electric aerial motor

Ok, the other day I decided to replace my aerial mast with a brand new one, to make it go up & down automatically again [the toothed core bit had snapped, so the motor would push it up, but then lose it's grip and not be able to retract it without some fiddling about on my part]

So far, I've spent all night tonight getting covered in grease & lube from the motor. I've succesfully stripped some of the motor gearing [in the black casing, NOT the actual motor itself !] & the mast housing, fitted the new mast, and reassembled the whole thing back together exactly as it came apart.

What happens now when I plug my motor back in & turn on my stereo, is the aerial only extends about 1/2 an inch, then retracts when I turn the radio off again [I've tried this with the mast both fully extended AND fully retracted, with the same result either way]

Is there some way the aerial must be 'taught' how far to extend again, some special sequence for plugging it back in, or have I seriously buggered it all up & need to replace the whole lot ?

I'm guessing this is a manybrews question, unless someone has come across it before - so what you guys got ?

J apmetal
    I should also mention the aerial/motor assembly has been sat, fully assembled, in my house for about 5 or 6 days waiting for me to get around to doing it [had my girlfriend staying, so had 'better things' to do]. Doubt this would make a difference, but in my experience it's best to mention everything anyway !!

no, it doesnt need to be "taught".
    basically, unless you assembled something incorrectly (which is a possibilty), you need a new assembly.
    something is binding.

you could always get an aftermarket retractable antenna... runs about 40 bucks on ebay.
    they install fairly easily, although a little custom mounting is needed (but everything you need usually comes with the kit).
    and you obviously would need to do a little wiring, but thats also easy as you would just tap into the factory harnesses in specific locations.

ken inn
    if i remember correctly, there is a mercury switch in there. when you reassembled it, you probably got the switch out of position. somehow, after it comes up a bit, it thinks you have turned off the radio, so it retracts back.

J apmetal
    I'll have a fiddle again later then I think [I probably did upset something & not notice] cheers for the help !

J apmetal
    FIXED IT !!

loosened a few housing screws, which I think were too tight & putting too much resitance to the gears inside, and fixed a bad earth [which I had disconnected to remove the unit, but not actually put back again] and it goes up and down nicely now.

It's a bit laboured, but I can hear it getting better each time as the new bits get greased up with movement

marktheblake

Re: Electric aerial motor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, the other day I decided to replace my aerial mast with a brand new one, Â*:(</div>

How did you manage all this? I assume your aerial is located back left just next to the access point to the rear lights.

Do you have to remove a inside panel to get proper access to removing and installing the components?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you have to remove a inside panel to get proper access to removing and installing the components?</div>Yes, you need to remove the left plastic plating in the trunk. Shouldn't be too hard. From there you have direct access to the antenna.

I had one too (the one that came with the car) and it broke about 5 months ago. So I tried to fix it but I only got it broken a little bit further. :oops:
    Then I ordered a universal one (An original one costs about 400 euros (about 430 dollars) and that's just too expensive).
    I put it in but I did really strange. When it went up it went all the way but when it was totally up the motor kept spinning for a couple of seconds. And when it went in again it did the same but sometimes it wouldn't even go completely down. I tried a lot of ways of connecting the wiring and all the same result.

So I think I'm going to buy another one from another brand and try it again.
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

Rasko Da Gama

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you have to remove a inside panel to get proper access to removing and installing the components?</div>Yes, you need to remove the left plastic plating in the trunk. Shouldn't be too hard. From there you have direct access to the antenna.

I had one too (the one that came with the car) and it broke about 5 months ago. So I tried to fix it but I only got it broken a little bit further. :oops:
    Then I ordered a universal one (An original one costs about 400 euros (about 430 dollars) and that's just too expensive).
    I put it in but I did really strange. When it went up it went all the way but when it was totally up the motor kept spinning for a couple of seconds. And when it went in again it did the same but sometimes it wouldn't even go completely down. I tried a lot of ways of connecting the wiring and all the same result.

So I think I'm going to buy another one from another brand and try it again.</div>

Wich brand of antenna have you bought Jeucken? Just want to know so I don't make the same mistake...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wich brand of antenna have you bought Jeucken? Just want to know so I don't make the same mistake... Â*</div>Sorry :oops: I don't remember, I threw away the box. And on the site from which I ordered it, just says universal antenna and no brand name. But I found that there are a lot of different manufacturers so the chance that you buy the same one is minimal.

marktheblake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â*Yes, you need to remove the left plastic plating in the trunk. Shouldn't be too hard. From there you have direct access to the antenna.</div>

Thanks very much - You and I have the same car (hatch)so your info is most credible, though mine is the basic model.

Last time i replaced an antenna in another car i had to dislocate a wrist and an elbow to access the cavity inside, and even then it was not easy. (it was impossible to remove a panel for easy access).

In regard to the motor whining, thats what mine does. when i turn off the car, i can hear the motor whining tryingto retract the antenna. Thats probably a good sign actually, as i might not need to replace the motor. now that i know how to access it properly i migght be able to do a repair.

With mine, it sometimes went on with spinning and it would never stop until I turned on the radio again. :?

marktheblake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â* Yes, you need to remove the left plastic plating in the trunk. Shouldn't be too hard. </div>

I removed the panel - but hey you didnt tell me about all those hidden clips and screws! :-)

busted about 3 of the push clips, and lost one of the hidden ones. interesting enough the hidden ones are virtually identical to the mounting spacers for the old AT type PC mainboards. I got hundreds of them.

J apmetal
    Good hint for removing those round push-centre clips along the top of the boot trim panels !!

get a thin screwdriver and pop the centre in slightly; this should free the clip to be flicked out without breaking it, while still leaving the centre to be pushed back again, ready for putting back in when you've finished !! took me 6 clips to realise you could do this, now I can take them out easily without breaking them !!

MARK; that's exactly what mine was doing before the repair, you can hear the motor work, but the aerial doesnt retract. I 'tested' my motor before going down this route by getting out of the car, and pushing the mast down slightly before switching off the radio - when I did this, the mast retracted fine & the motor stopped when the mast bottomed out. Next time the radio turns on, the mast extends properly, but the gets pushed right out again so the motor loses it's grip again & you have to repeat the process. Handy to know if you leave your car somewhere you'd rather not have the aerial tempting people to swing on it & damage it !

marktheblake
    Thanks for the tip about the clips, $5 to buy 4 from the auto store.

My Aerial busted a couple of years ago. thats why i am surprised the motor still runs.

When it broke, i noticed the aerial trying to extend (maybe it was going up and down an inch or so) as if it was stuck. I gave it a bit of a pull, and something gave way. Now i can manually extend it fully, and retract it but only down to the last extension. the last 6 inches or so, willl not budge. In any case now the motor has no effect in the antenna at all/
    I never forced it back in cos i figured that i might not be able to extract it again, and that it was the missus's car and she never listened to the radio.

J apmetal
    Well, I kow the motor is very expensive to replace, but the mast bit cost me £30GB to buy, plus an evening's work fitting it [including removing the unit from the car !]

It was definately worth the effort, since it keeps my aerial out of harm's way when I'm not using it [it may be my Sony radio, but it actually folds down if I switch from Radio to Minidisc/CD] and gives the car a much less tatty look than before

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, I kow the motor is very expensive to replace, but the mast bit cost me £30GB to buy, plus an evening's work fitting it [including removing the unit from the car !]</div>

i was just reading something on the internet that says you dont have to remove the motor from the car to replace the mast.

in any case with mine, the little cable has dissappeard inside the motor so i had to remove it anyway. So now i have a hole in my car. But guess what covers it perfectly = one of those annoying fridge magnets.

J apmetal
    Well, The amount of work it took I certainly wouldnt want to try and fix it while it was on the car [apart from being stuck out in the rain !] And good thinking on the fridge magnet - I just used a piece of masking tape to cover the hole, since it was only there a few days & is now safely plugged as it should be !

marktheblake
    Japmetal where did you get the replacement mast from.

I am having hellava problem finding one, well except for genuine part for $99.

HH GSR Owner

In Australia...

I think genuine is the only way to go....
    Without getting it imported at least.
    I had heard that it is the same make as one of the Pajero ( those mitsubshi 4wd ... why can't I spell them...). I ended up forking out the $99.00 though.

You could ask at a Mitsubishi parts shop if it is the same part then source a new one through Autopro for the Pajero (*sigh*).

Anyway good Luck,
    HH GSR OWNER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast