The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Brake Conversion

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Rear Brake Conversion

Is it possible to convert the rear drums on an 8g galant to crossdrilled/slotted rotors? If so how much does it cost and has anybody out there done it?
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

Fast99ES
    I've asked that same question many times man...no one really has any info on it...that would be nice if we had a parts list for that...

You dont believe what I told you on the PM :cry: j/k
    Anythings possible when you have $$$

Fast99ES. When you get here in town, I'll hook you up w/ the guy that will do it for me, here in town!!!
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

Fast99ES
    Yo Fast...Hook me up!!!! I hate drum brakes on the G!!!! Hey man...I dont know if u been checkin my post that I put up in the WCF...but Im movin on the 28th of this month...Cant wait to get there!!!! Cant wait to get those drums swapped for some discs!!!!

look over at neweclipse.org, there is a complete price list for what you will need. May not be exact, but it will tell you what you need.

Here is a good thread:

http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...&threadid=15084

-Mohammad

one word V6.

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

Rear Disc Conversion

Well seeing I have an I4 I'm not going to go out and buy a V6 so I have to do a conversion. damn I'm not maid of money If I was I wouldn't own just an I4 galant. I'd own quite a few nice cars.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

Re: Rear Disc Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman83
    Well seeing I have an I4 I'm not going to go out and buy a V6 so I have to do a conversion. damn I'm not maid of money If I was I wouldn't own just an I4 galant. I'd own quite a few nice cars.
    i am not telling u to do guy a new car

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

Quote Originally Posted by Fast99ES
    Yo Fast...Hook me up!!!! I hate drum brakes on the G!!!! Hey man...I dont know if u been checkin my post that I put up in the WCF...but Im movin on the 28th of this month...Cant wait to get there!!!! Cant wait to get those drums swapped for some discs!!!!
    Aight for sure :!: Just check on mochanges post, maybe the prices have gone down from last time...
    We cant wait to have another member too.
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

99DE AKA Corvette Killer
    Yo. I made the drum to disc conversion on a 99DE with no problem at all (except I didn't have the money for the e-brake components at the time).
    It cost me:

The price of the rotors/pads (DBA group buy - $100), brake backing plates (OEM - $60-$100 based on the source), rear calipers (GTZ salvage - $50/pr.), brake lines (I got Goodridge braided/stainless), and the e-brake components (I have a list of parts hard copy <still electronically behind> priced around $300 new from the dealership).

- If you feel confident enough to get the e-mail stuff salvage it will save you money.
    - I would recommend synthetic brake fluid, especially if you drive hard, drive daily, or drive hard daily.

I made the switch long enough ago for me to need new pads now, and I've had no trouble at all. The labor to make the switch was not even difficult - just a few bolts of standard size. I even have pictures from the swap, and sooner or later I'll scan them up and let you check them out. (like when I get a computer)

Good luck!

leadfoot
    so you did the rear brake conversion off of a GTZ??? and are the rear brakes stock or are they cross drilled?

99DE AKA Corvette Killer
    They're stock size, but they're DBA X-drilled & slotted.

akiraflux
    From reading that newecplise thread it looks like THEY can use all brake parts from 2g eclipses or 3g. that means same for us too since we can use THEIR brake stuff for the conversion right?

anywho...handy link with full instructions plus...a while ago they actually sold conversion kits. might be worth callin to see if they can get more.

taken from:

http://4g64.150m.com/rearbrakeconv.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Original Message - "Rear drum to Rear disc conversion kits $250"
    Posted by DeanoD on 05-Feb-01 at 05:06PM
    .................................................. ......
    Complete conversion kits for RS drum brakes to a GS/GS-T rear disc brake setup is available. These factory mitsubishi parts are all used and in very good condition. The kit comes with everything you need except brake fluid. The calipers have used pads in them and most are less than half worn. I recommend buying new non-organic pads(more braking effectiveness)for the rear.

2 rear calipers
    2 brake rotors
    2 brake caliper hoses
    2 emergency brake assemblies/caliper mounting assemblies that has the emergency brake cables attached. Installs as one unit.

These complete kits are $250 (shipping included in price) to anywhere in the U.S. from http://www.allmitsubishi.com. (800) 899-2933. Ask for Dan Gill....he is the owner and also an Arkansas Club DSM member. He has 4 complete sets available at this time. One last bit of information: you do not need a proportioning valve. The brake proportioning valve in the RS-drum/GS/GS-T is all the same part number verified by my mitsubishi parts manager. If you have any questions, just e-mail me. I set this up with Dan and this is a very good price considering the weight of the package involved. I will even send you complete instructions on the install procedures step by step. This job can be done without a lift, but I highly recommend one. The whole job takes 4 hours your first time from removing the rear wheels to bleeding the brakes. If you buy speed bleeders, you can do everything yourself.
    DeanoD
    </div>