The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil Leak

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    anreynol

Oil Leak

I'm about to get a '90 Galant (2.0 SOHC) with about 180K on the clock. The person I'm getting it from says it runs ok, but eats a hell of a lot of oil. It doesn't leak on the ground, so it must be internal. My question is, how the hell do I fix it? First of all, what is the problem? I'm in college, so money is pretty tight, but this is my first car and I want it to kick ass, not seize up and die. And if I do fix it, what're some cheap ways to make it faster? I've read about removing the airbox, but what about ignition, plugs, injectors, etc.?

Rasko Da Gama

Re: Oil Leak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anreynol)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm about to get a '90 Galant (2.0 SOHC) with about 180K on the clock. The person I'm getting it from says it runs ok, but eats a hell of a lot of oil. It doesn't leak on the ground, so it must be internal. My question is, how the hell do I fix it? First of all, what is the problem? I'm in college, so money is pretty tight, but this is my first car and I want it to kick ass, not seize up and die. And if I do fix it, what're some cheap ways to make it faster? I've read about removing the airbox, but what about ignition, plugs, injectors, etc.?</div>

Hello amigo! Welcome to the board!

About making your car faster, there are a few minor modifications you can make - do a search over this 6'th G forum and you'll find some interesting threads about what you wanna know.
    And about that oil leak - I'm sorry but I am not familiar a lot with these problems, but I'm sure that friends from TGC will help you.

Good luck

[FIN]Teme
    i heard that 88-92 galants can take ab. 0.7L oil / 1000km When they are brand new!

So if your car eats like 1L/1000km... that's pretty normal for this particular car

mine eats that 1L / 1000km

anreynol
    Yeah, but thats going to cost a lot in the long run. Is it at all possible that the piston rings could be bad? It does have puffs of blue smoke in the exhaust...

[FIN]Teme
    I just heard that 88-92 on some years models oil rings have somekind of fault when brand new... that they have had it fixed on guarantee
    (when bought new )...

So i think by changing those oil rings to new ones that oil problem is going to end...