The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: UPDATE: COIL PACKS on I4 2.4L 8G Galants

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    clone2020

UPDATE: COIL PACKS on I4 2.4L 8G Galants

I just checked my coil packs yesterday and the coils are reading 18k ohms. In one part of the manual it says they have to be 8.5k to 11.5k and another part says they have to be less than 22k.

Here's what mine read from left to right.

1 = 2.6k (long wire)
    2 = 18k (coil)
    3 = 1.5k (short wire)
    4 = 18k (coil)

Can anyone verify?

-Mike.

<span style='color:red'>UPDATE: </span>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IGNITION COIL (WITH BUILT-IN IGNITION POWER TRANSISTOR) CHECK <1999 2.4L ENGINE>
    Check by the following procedure, and replace the coil if there is a malfunction.

SECONDARY COIL RESISTANCE CHECK
    Measure the resistance between the high-voltage terminals of the ignition coil.
    Standard value: 15.3 - 20.7k ohms

Are you having any symptoms or reasons why you're checking them? Sputtering, misfires, etc?

Elvis

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    Are you having any symptoms or reasons why you're checking them? Sputtering, misfires, etc?

Elvis
    Yeah, I occasionally have steering wheel vibrations for about 2 minutes after a cold start. I've already replaced the plugs so I decided to check the coil packs.

How did you take off the boot from the coil pack?

-Mike.

MASONSTORM
    if it aint broke, dont mess with it

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MASONSTORM)</div><div class='quotemain'>if it aint broke, dont mess with it</div>

ok...billy bob...thanks for the words of wisdom...

It's a possibility that my coil packs could be the cause of my problems which is rough idle and steering wheel vibrations at cold start.

I've already replaced the spark plugs, pcv valve and cleaned the throttle body.

I wanted to check with other members first to see what their coil packs read before I do anything.

-Mike.

MASONSTORM
    first of all, Im no billy bob. Ive been a triple diamond rated service advisor for mitsubishi for 5 years and have been working on cars all my life. your first post did not include much information, so I didnt know why the heck anyone would be checking their coil packs just for heck of it. you didnt say why you were checking them. I thought you were messing with them cause you were bored or something.

clone2020
    The reason I replied to your comment like I did was because it was of no "help" whatsoever.

I do however commend you for the "help" you gave on other TGC member's posts.

-Mike.

clone2020
    I think 2 & 4 should read 10k ohms. Can anyone verify this?

This is what I'm getting.

1 = 2.6k (long wire)
    2 = 18k (coil)
    3 = 1.5k (short wire)
    4 = 18k (coil)

-Mike.