The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BIG brake upgrade

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    gssplaya

BIG brake upgrade

ok guys, seeing that the 7g is lacking BIG brake applications, heres some pix of my ride to inspire you that BIG brake mods can be done to a 7g galant! You may wonder why am i sporting a 5 stud setup instead of 4? well coz im using eclipse hubs in favor over my dumb 4 stud hubs!

Im using 12.5in AEM Rotors for the Eclipse AWD in front and 11.5in AEM rotors for the rear!

The secret is out! do as i did and go get em guys!!

More pix: http://www.pbase.com/rockshoxp82/blackwidow

how hard was the 5 lug conversion?

gssplaya

well..

Frankly? Took the wheels off, took the brake caliper and brackets out of the way, took the old rotor off/ Then i removed the castle nut holding the axle to the hub, the 4 bolts behind the hub connecting it to the knucle and removed my old 4 stud hub, after throwing it away, i slap on the eclipse hub (which is a bolt-on) and assembly is the opposite of dissassembly.

In short, its prettyeasy The AEM's though are a bit on the pricey side

hmmm, thanks, i just got some ideas

gssplaya

hehe

Totally man

Time to waste some honduhs!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    so can i use the hub from a 1g? that means 4whl disc breaks oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh
    7g for life!

exactly seth, i'm thinking eclipse hubs, 5 lug conversion, easier to get rims

I'm on the AEM site right now and am wondering which ones exactly you got. Are these the ones?
    Eclipse 1995-99 AWD (Rear Fits 2.0L Only) Front 29-561 Rear 29-630

gssplaya

hmm

The hubs i used are from a 2nd gen Eclipse GST

As for the rotors, AEM 12.5in rotors for the Eclipse AWD/GSX upfront and the rear rotors fit either the FWD or AWD Eclipse

I got the Rotors for 2g AWD eclipse up front since i have dual piston calipers from a 2g Eclipse GSX (Its also bolt on) donno about single piston caliper setups, i think that the AEM rotors for the FWD eclipse would do

ok u have a JDM galant tho, would our calipers line up with the oem hub, or would we have to do a big brake upgrade too?

IllestGalant
    i saw this mod, but it was on a jdm 6 cylinder turbo with manual tranny and had the aem big rotors and calipers. the calipers from a 7th gen us don't bolt up to a jdm galant :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gssplaya

waat??

WAAAT???? but the eclipse hubs should fit the 7g since i dont think that there's any difference between the udsm and jdm steering knuckle of the galant where the hub is supposed to be

my car was an Automatic 4cyl before i ditched both for the manual tranny and 6cyl engine. But my suspension ,etc is the same as a galant with an I4.

I should be the one more worried that the eclipse hubs wont fit into the JDM galant since the package the hubs came in came from the DSM plant over there in the states But they did so i see why they wont fit the usdm galant As for the dual piston calipers, i experimented with 2 types for the 7g. I fitted dual piston calipers from a 6g galant VR-4 and then from a 2g eclipse GSX, both were perfect fits!!!

In the end, just try it out, i mean how much is a hub from the junkyard right?

Re: waat??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gssplaya)</div><div class='quotemain'>In the end, just try it out, i mean how much is a hub from the junkyard right? </div>

yup. and u only need one for the front. if it fits u buy the other one. if ti don't then u can try to sell it or something. the rear is another thing. uhm possibly if u can swap rear ends with the eclipse (easy labor parts$$) then u'd be good to go with the rear discs...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

fastdsmbuilder
    if you guys are int. i took stock 7g calipers & bored the cast and put
    a larger piston out of a 3000gt vr4 caliper. my car stops on a dime
    with metal master pads.
    just a little help.
    any machine shop can do this :shock: :arrow: :twisted:

SamirDarji
    I know this is an old bump, but I'm interested in the 11.5 rear discs. Anyone have more detail on what AEM kit and if it would work with a Galant with rear discs? (Aside from the whole 4-lug vs 5-lug--I'd just get a custom 4-lug rotor.)