The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: drum to disk?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 62
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jusblaze
    The only thing that bothers me is that you will need to get two different types of rims for the front and back because the front brakes are a 4 lug, and if you do this then ur rear is a 5 lug which means if you buy rims they will look real weird at least to me that is...
    Like Seth said your suposed to grab the eclipse front hubs which makes your front 5 lug as well.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    my friend suggested, just go to advanced auto parts or wherever, and buy the stck set up for gst in all corners of the car and replace everything with new parts. It all should just bolt right up, and it will all be brand new,then later get into upgrading the calipers and roters. plan to buy everything this week, but may be next year before i put any of it on, i'd still have to get 5lug wheels.

Experienced TGC Member
    You need a new ebrake cable setup too
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

ok, went to Adv auto this weekend, looked up parts and got a few.

I looked up parts for 97 GST, ordered the front and rear hub assembly, and ordered rear calipers.
    I did a cross reference on front caliper part numbers 97 GST and 94 G. Pt#'s were the same.

Looking into upgraded roters, instead of just stock ones, any suggestions?

Gonna go back and get stainless cables and speedbleeders.

SamirDarji
    A Baer big brake upgrade for the front is available for under $1k. I have it installed and it's sweet. It's a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but with 4 lug rotors vs 5 lug. Everything bolted right on. The entire install was only 4 hours. Now I have c4 Corvette/Mustang cobra brakes on the front of my Galant. :twisted: 13.1" rotors with 2 piston PBR calipers. :twisted:

And for the rear, I have a friend with a 95 GS that came with 4 wheel discs, so that should bolt right up if you replace the spindle. I'm planning to do that at some point, but can't afford to right now.

gontlent2

disc brakes

I thought the 7g galant came with all wheel disc brakes from the factory except for the s galant which is the lowest model galant they make?

Re: disc brakes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gontlent2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought the 7g galant came with all wheel disc brakes from the factory except for the s galant which is the lowest model galant they make?</div>

no, its the other way around. all 7g galants come with drum brakes in the rear from the factory except for the GS which is like the highest model galant they make

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

SamirDarji
    Actually, disc was not available at all on 1996 models. My factory service manual doesn't refer to them at all and there are no 1996 rear disc parts available.

I set out for the jy to find the rear disk mounts of a 2 gen eclipse, when i found the tranny. i didn't see any 2g's but i saw a ton of 1g's. funny thing is every engine and tranny from the 1g's were missing.... imagine that. But they all were manual. but any way back to the brakes... I'm not too sure that a 1g disk setup will fit a 7 gen galant. 1g disks appear to be a different angle than the 2g's. I took pics, but don't have a way to post them.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I really doubt 1g hub/brake assembly will fit on our 7gs...
    7g for life!

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'>A Baer big brake upgrade for the front is available for under $1k. Â*I have it installed and it's sweet. Â*It's a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but with 4 lug rotors vs 5 lug. Â*Everything bolted right on. Â*The entire install was only 4 hours. Â*Now I have c4 Corvette/Mustang cobra brakes on the front of my Galant. Â* :twisted: Â*13.1" rotors with 2 piston PBR calipers. Â* :twisted: Â*
    </div>

Woah, cool man you are in Hunstville. I went to UAH. I remember those TAC guys now - at the time I wasn't into performance at all. I also remember when Sound on Wheels had their speed annex and the per4mance guys were building up - whatever became of all of them?

Are you saying the BAER kit is what C4's/Cobras have or that you since replaced the BAER kit with C4 brakes? You used stock Galant rotors with the kit? I was under the impression it only came as 5 lug?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, disc was not available at all on 1996 models. Â*My factory service manual doesn't refer to them at all and there are no 1996 rear disc parts available. </div>

thats because there wasn't a 96 GS.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok, went to Adv auto this weekend, looked up parts and got a few.

I looked up parts for 97 GST, ordered the front and rear hub assembly, and ordered rear calipers. Â*
    I did a cross reference on front caliper part numbers 97 GST and 94 G. Â*Pt#'s were the same.

Looking into upgraded roters, instead of just stock ones, any suggestions?

Gonna go back and get stainless cables and speedbleeders.</div>

What was the total cost of the parts?

well i didn't get all the parts i needed, and it was about $600. But that's without core parts to turn back in. I'd suggest going to a jy. I couldn't ever find a 2g at the ones around here. All they had were 1g's... lot's of 1g's. I still have to go to the dealer and get the mounting plate for the calipers, adv auto or napa doesn't carry that or the e-brake cable.
    So for about 600 i got all four 5-bolt hub assemblies (new/rebuilt) and two rear calipers. If i had calipers to give them, it would have knocked about 120 off. Not too sure if the hub assemblies were core exchangeable, but if they are , that would knock off a little more too.

I went to the dealer, and didn't get as raped as i thought i would.

"as raped as", meaning just a little bit raped, but still raped

Got the 2 backing plate, 2 mounting brackets, 2 upper and 2 lower mounting pins, 2 upper pin bushings, 2 sets brake pad brackets, 2 sets of shims, and 2 E-brake cables for $345. from the loal mitsu dealer. He mentioned something about a discount, but not too sure what it was.

I'll give you a parts and price list and from where on my next post.
    still need stainless brake lines, and i plan to replace the front lines as well.

Remember i'm also including the pricing of the front hub assemblies.

I also order cross drilled rotors from the local performance shop. for '97 GST :twisted:

Parts from Advanced Auto:
    All parts referenced for 1997 GST

Bearing hub assembly front? 129.88 x 2 259.76
    Bearing hub assembly rear? 99.98 x 2 199.96
    Rear calipers 59.98 x 2 119.96
    core charge 55.00 x 2 110.00

Total 689.68

If you have core parts for exchange, then you don't have to pay the 110.

Parts from local Mitsu dealer
    all parts referenced for 1997 GST
    looks like everything was at 10% discount. so i'll give the discounted price.

buschings (for upper pins) 2.86 x 2 5.72
    upper pins (attach caliper to mount) 4.83 x 2 9.66
    lower pins " 4.97 x 2 9.94
    cable parking brake 28.37 28.37
    cable parking brake (difference?) 26.31 26.31
    backing plate (left & right) 51.00 x 2 102.00
    caliper support 52.29 x 2 104.58
    caliper support mounting bolts 1.41 x 4 5.64
    brake pad clip set 9.59 9.59
    shim set 9.88 9.88

Total 311.69

Grand Total 1001.37

If money is a problem I'd definitely take the Junk Yard route.

brandon
    $1000+?? YIKES.

Good for you though...

I'll put that on the list of future mods.. It's more expensive than I thought, but it'll be worth it. Are you going to do the work yourself?

yeah i plan to do the work myself. just have to find the wheels i want. This winter i plan to install my shocks, springs, and rear brakes, and all four hubs. I've got a friend that knows a little more than i do so he'll help me a lot.

I didn't know it was going to be his much either, and if i found a 2g at the local JY, then i would have darn shure pulled all these parts i needed. Actually, i'm thinking i could have bought all the parts from mitsu dealer for cheaper, than adv auto. The parts that get you the most are the hub assemblies. :?

I was just thinking. If there are Galants out there that have rear disk brakes, a cheaper route might be to just get the rear hub assemblies from 94 Galant (4 lug) with rear disks, then you don't have to change the front hub assembly. Save about $260 bucks. you might have to go to the dealer for that part though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast