The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: drum to disk?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 62
    Russian7G
    I have tried to get the 94 GS rear disk brake part numbers from CAPS -mitsu parts lookup program, but there is no info on it in my version - it shows that 94 GS has rear drum brakes... probably it's just a problem with my CAPS..

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by GPTourer
    Woah, cool man you are in Hunstville. I went to UAH. I remember those TAC guys now - at the time I wasn't into performance at all. I also remember when Sound on Wheels had their speed annex and the per4mance guys were building up - whatever became of all of them?
    The TAC guys are still around, as is Sound on Wheels. All the performance shops in Huntsville kinda come and go. The current one in town is behind SOW and is called Trackmasters.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPTourer
    Are you saying the BAER kit is what C4's/Cobras have or that you since replaced the BAER kit with C4 brakes? You used stock Galant rotors with the kit? I was under the impression it only came as 5 lug?
    The Baer kit is the same as what C4's/Cobras came with stock. I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for the Mustang meets the first Wed of every month (today!). Someone pointed it out to me after looking at my brakes and exclaiming "Good God!" Someone also mentioned that's the same setup on the rear of the Viper too, but I'd have to see that one before I start using that line. :twisted:

The rotors come with the kit. You discard your old rotors and calipers. The kit comes as a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but the only difference is the rotor. Tell them you heard about this upgrade from me (they might remember me) and want a 4 lug rotor vs 5 lug. The kit comes with SS lines, brackets, bolts, brake bleeder hose, all needed hardware and some pretty good instructions. The hardest part is getting your heat shield off since it's part of your hub assembly. I didn't want to completely destroy mine, so a friend of mine came up with a way to only make 2 small cuts on it and made it so I could take it off and put it back on again.

The car scene here is alive. There's quite a few car sites including my new one, www.huntsvillecarscene.com. Check it out and see what everyone's up to!

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    thats because there wasn't a 96 GS.
    That makes sense. 8) Kinda wish there was one now...

SamirDarji
    For a 7g, wouldn't a 95 be a better doner for the rear disc? Although it'd probably be rare, a GS would have it. Or, you could always buy them new.

how much would a new rear end from a 94 GS cost from the dealer..... if they still make them.... just a question...
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ViciousLord)</div><div class='quotemain'>how much would a new rear end from a 94 GS cost from the dealer..... if they still make them.... just a question...</div>
    Don't know. Good question. I wanna know too...for anybody that's checking up on it...

SamirDarji
    Hey, Blue Ice, do you plan to change the proportioning valve? with the almost completely different braking setup that probably wouldn't be a bad thing to change to a GS valve.

anybody know the price?.,.....

brandon
    You could try using DelRay's site to get some prices:

http://www.mitsudealer.com/delray/part_cat...art_catalog.cgi

under what???

brandon
    94 Galant, Wheels and brakes section...

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    I'm only going by what's been done before, never heard any mention of a proportinary valve, guess i'll look into that. too

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm only going by what's been done before, never heard any mention of a proportinary valve, guess i'll look into that. too</div>
    The valve is different between those that have a rear disc and rear drum. It's a little piece, but I believe it will make the brake bias a little better for your setup.

hey brandon do you think that by getting those part numbers and going to the mitsu dealer i might be able to go ahead and get the rear disk brakes?

Also what will i need to buy to convert from drum to disk?

thanks
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

SamirDarji
    Has anyone ever checked to see if the eclipse parts are the same as the Galant with discs? And if they aren't, has anyone checked if the Eclipse parts have any benefit? (larger discs, etc.)

i did some research. according to the parts catalog that i have (might not be 100% accurate but don't blame me) the 7g GS, the 2g Eclipse, 3g Eclipse and the 8g galant have the same calipers in the rear.

the 2g eclipse fwd, 3g eclipse and the 8g galant have the same rotor in the rear.

now the rear rotors from the GS is also the same as for the expo.

something you might want to look into if you are getting used or aftermarket parts.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

SamirDarji
    What about the rotors sizes and brackets? Any mention? And I'm guessing the spindle is just the 94GS spindle, right? Or is it a GST? It would be interesting if it was same spindle for the GST and 94GS. Then the upgrades that work for the GST would just bolt-on.

Hey guys i know this is a long post, if you went back you'd see that i already cross referenced the part number's on the rear calipers, between the gst and the G. they are the same calipers. The only thing i would do if you wanted to save money is look into the rear four lug disk (i guess from the 94 GS), as then you won't have to change the front to 5 lug to match the rear.

I haven't been able to do anything to my car as i've been having to work 6 day work weeks since about the beginning of november. Hopefully i can get on this crap, and take a lot of pics so it'll help everyone. Also i haven't found any wheels i really want to buy yet.

Any one know anybody that want's to sell thier GSX wheels?

i'll probably get this conversion done by the end of january.

SamirDarji
    Went to the dealer today to get some parts and did some research on the drum to disc conversion.

The proportioning valve is the exact same for disc or drum, so you don't have to worry about that at all.

I priced out roughly how much it would be to convert the rear to disc using all mitsu parts. It was almost $500 including the brake shoes and brake hoses, which you can get cheaper and better aftermarket. I'm not sure if the caliper was included in this. I'm thinking it was not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast