The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: knock knock

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    Experienced TGC Member

knock knock

Flooring the car causes the timing to drop big time, TP goes to 100% Timing
    advance goes from like 20 down to -4, O2 jumps to 0.96~, short term fuel trims drop to 0%... this stays like that :?: for about 10 seconds (which is a long ass time) and then the rpms start to raise
    up the o2s get taken back a bit and the timing starts to advance.

So what is causing me to hear sooo much knock at WOT from rest? When I am
    already cruising around 2300 rpm and go WOT I dont have this problem there is a
    slight hesitation and then ur back get plastered against the seat.

The knock sensor isnt screwd in flush with the block its like 2 threads away from the block I just couldnt get in there to get it any tighter. And I am pretty sure I picked the right BOSS in the block to screw it in, its behind cyl 2 and bout halfway down the block. There were a slew of possible spots to screw it in 2 behind cyl 1 one up high and one in the middle...shit like that..

Any ideas would be appreciated..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Gir

Re: knock knock

Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Flooring the car causes the timing to drop big time, TP goes to 100% Timing
    advance goes from like 20 down to -4, O2 jumps to 0.96~, short term fuel trims drop to 0%... this stays like that :?: for about 10 seconds (which is a long ass time) and then the rpms start to raise
    up the o2s get taken back a bit and the timing starts to advance.

So what is causing me to hear sooo much knock at WOT from rest? When I am
    already cruising around 2300 rpm and go WOT I dont have this problem there is a
    slight hesitation and then ur back get plastered against the seat.

The knock sensor isnt screwd in flush with the block its like 2 threads away from the block I just couldnt get in there to get it any tighter. And I am pretty sure I picked the right BOSS in the block to screw it in, its behind cyl 2 and bout halfway down the block. There were a slew of possible spots to screw it in 2 behind cyl 1 one up high and one in the middle...shit like that..

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Are youre EGT's dropping then coming back up as well?

Experienced TGC Member
    The one guage I dont have =

I did a few tests though, pulled the knock sensor out of theblock and ran it with the knoc sensor wired to the ecu and the sensor itself sitting on my pass seat, so it cant read anything at all and the car behaved the exact same way! So I am leaning towards the problem not actually being knock but something else.

Someone on another group said to check the ECT that computer will pull tming if it thinks its over heating, I dont usually log that sensor so I'll have to look at that today.

I reinstalled the knock sensor with shielded cable this time, the sensor is flush to the block not overtightend. I started to play with the MAS adjustment screw and that helped a bit at WOT however my idle blows and engine makes thumpy kinda sounds wich I dont like so I ended up richening up the lower rpm with the afc until I turn the screw back in a bit.

ROB
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon