The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3000GT 6G72TT Parts Interchangable w/ Galant 6G72?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Experienced TGC Member

3000GT 6G72TT Parts Interchangable w/ Galant 6G72?

Ok this is a super n00b question. Anyways here goes:

In an effort to rebuild ones engine, is it possible to order 3kGT engine parts (ie Pistons, Valves, ect..) from a Mitsu dealership, and switch them into our 6G72s?

Please no flaming. Thanks

umm... easy answer no. the parts are not neccessarily interchangeable even though the displacement is similar. bore size, head / valve clearance etc. all come into play.

cdaw2001ES
    If you get the 3000gt TT heads, then yes you can completly build up any 6g72 to be a tt, but the issue becomes the ecu. SO if you want to do that - you need to do a tranny swap too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you get the 3000gt TT heads, then yes you can completly Â*build up any 6g72 to be a tt, but the issue becomes the ecu. SO if you want to do that - you need to do a tranny swap too.</div>

To remedy that problem with wiring just get a standalone ems. You tell the ecu what you have and it runs it...simple right...nope paying for it is a BIOCH! other then that input data and roll.

cdaw2001ES
    Y but still gotta trash the auto tranny as it needs the stock ecu to switch gears. BTW : I have a 6g72 with DOHC heads (circa 87) sitting in my garage. I'm plannin to buld it up with all forged components, w/ a stinger ecu, or something newer. As soon as I either get a standalone tranny controller or get 6 speed swol xtec custom made , I have a level ten'd 3 speed I used with it before in my minivan - great for the strip but not much fun to drive. and it wont fit in the g

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Y but still gotta trash the auto tranny as it needs the stock ecu to switch gears. Â*BTW : I have a 6g72 with Â*DOHC heads (circa 87) Â*sitting in my garage. I'm plannin to buld it up with all forged components, w/ a stinger ecu, or something newer. As soon as I either get a standalone tranny controller or get Â*6 speed swol xtec custom made Â* , I have a level ten'd 3 speed I used with it before in my minivan - great for the strip but not much fun to drive. and it wont fit in the g</div>

ok you havent kept up with the newer Standalones, Haltech just introduced there E6x which can control your auto trans. Only down side is it can not control tiptronic trans.

cdaw2001ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Haltech just introduced there E6x</div>

Oh Shit - I've been pestering them since this time last year....
    This is the holy grail

cdaw2001ES
    the e6x does NOT do the tranny at all

Va_G_Unit
    What is the E6X and what exactly does it do for you?

Va_G_Unit
    What is the E6X and what exactly does it do for you?

cdaw2001ES
    It's another ecu or pcm or whatever you want to call it. This particular one is very nice in that it can be used standalone or piggy back. It was rumored that it could aslo contol our transmission, allowing us to completly replace the stock ecu... why would anyone want to do that??? Well for starters, It's completely programable, so you can set up fuel curves and ingnition timing to match your mods, it also will elliminate the stock rev and speed limiters.

More info:
    http://www.haltech.com.au/Products/ECUs/E6X/e6x.html

TWISTED II
    my pistons and rods are both made for the 3000GT Vr4. i had a machine shop do all the measurements and they are exactly the same parts.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaTwistedGTZ
    my pistons and rods are both made for the 3000GT Vr4. i had a machine shop do all the measurements and they are exactly the same parts.

Sweet! Just saw your car on your website. Looking nice. I think Im going to use that as a roadmap for any type of engine rebuild.

TWISTED II
    thanx man. thats cool, if ya have any questions, lemme know, i've torn this car down to a metal frame and back to a car, including the engine. its been quite an interesting time

i've torn this car down to a metal frame and back to a car, including the engine. its been quite an interesting time
    Im right behind you...cant wait till Im done...

cdaw2001ES: contact
    Trevor Jones
    HALTECH
    Sales/Tech Support
    [email protected]

He has been assisting me with my decision on the E6x if it can not control the trans he will let u know

TWISTED II
    Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    i've torn this car down to a metal frame and back to a car, including the engine. its been quite an interesting time
    Im right behind you...cant wait till Im done...
    no kidding. it was fun tearing apart the car for the first 5 months....but now, 9 months later, putting it all back together sucks. i just want it to be done. by the time i get it back together, its gonna be time to take it all apart again next year, lol.

no kidding. it was fun tearing apart the car for the first 5 months....but now, 9 months later, putting it all back together sucks. i just want it to be done. by the time i get it back together, its gonna be time to take it all apart again next year, lol.
    I'll be damned somebody that feels my damn pain. Funny thing is I did all this and may end up returnin my 99 back to I4 lol.

TWISTED II
    did you do this by choice? i didn't have the option, haha. i blew my shit up. but i know once i hit the end, its gonna be all worth it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>did you do this by choice? Â*i didn't have the option, haha. Â*i blew my shit up. Â* Â* Â* Â*but i know once i hit the end, its gonna be all worth it.</div>

it was either replace the starter or replace the motor itself lol