The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: motor swap

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    hrevo1430

motor swap

i live in norristown pa, theres a junk yard with a 3000gt twin turbo, i was told by a few people that the motor swap will work. can i get a few opinions on if you guys think it'll work or not? i have a 1990 mit. galant.
    the mootor is a V6 twin turbo, and does anybody have an idea of how much horsepower and torque that is at full boost?

brand new that motor prob put out between 276-280 horsepower. The torque figure should be around there too. Thats a ridiculous engine dude, if you're willing to put in the time, go for it.

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

hrevo1430
    wouldn't the twin turbo make it like 500 horsepower at full torque? i thought asingle turbo doubled ur horsepower? then wouldn't twin 4x it?

VypA
    Quote Originally Posted by hrevo1430
    wouldn't the twin turbo make it like 500 horsepower at full torque? i thought asingle turbo doubled ur horsepower? then wouldn't twin 4x it?
    no its not gonna be 500hp about 280 is right. also TTs can be set up two ways, so both turbos hit at once, or a smaller turbo spins up first (smaller turbos spool up quicker) and then a large one second (large turbo spools slower, but creates more boost) i believe the 3000GT is the latter.

hrevo1430

???????????

so will the motor fit in my galant, or will i have to switch motor mounts or anything like that?

Rasko Da Gama

Re: ???????????

Quote Originally Posted by hrevo1430
    so will the motor fit in my galant, or will i have to switch motor mounts or anything like that?
    No it won't fit... You'll have to do new motor-mounts. It has been done allready, but it certainly will not be easy. Ask "orangbaligila" from this board, he mentiones something about that someone he knows did this swap. He might be of some help.

But sure... anything is possible, bur youll need a lot of money$$$$$

Good luck buddy

orangbaligila
    280 flywheel HP when healthy

hi Rasko wazzup,..?!

about the swap,.. my friend did it once (was a lot of cutting, relocating, and welding involved,.. for one good reason,... that motor IS huge man,... my buddy's engine bay is so full he had to put his MSDs inside the cabin..)

so,.. that's a good swap if you're well backed

btw, is your car an AWD ?! my friend's was FWD (that's bad,.. more work) my opinion is,.. get an EVO engine (II or III for easier fit,.. IV and up for less easier fit,.. me?! i have a VR4 engine sitting in my garage waiting for parts, and i'm looking for an EVO III head for better breathing)

cheers mates

hrevo1430

motor

wanted to say thanks. seems a little too complicated i have tools and bays at my hands but not that much time or money. um... i found an 88 galant it has a V6 will that V6 fit in my 1990 galant ? and does anyone know where a can buy a performance kit(like piston,rings,bearings, basically everything for my 4 cylinder to have more power) mainly cause i have 207,000 miles on the origonal motor. still runs fine needs a tune up though. i got it for free(my mom is the GM of a well know auto shop) somones car got impounded and her boss gave it to me. i just don't want the engine to fail why'll im usiung it so i wanna rebuild the engine and give it more power. so i can race it down philly. let me know and sorry for being such a pain in the ass!!!

orangbaligila
    talking about the size, a V6 will fit in your 6G (like the V6 TT, but TT will make your engine bay really cramped and you will almost have no room left even for a mice to wander in the engine bay, LOL)

is your 6G a DO or SO,.. and, is it AWD or FWD?! there are many performance piston sets, even some stroker kit available in the market (Jun, Tomei, JE, TODA, etc) but i will recommend you to use the money used to buy those slugs, for a VR4 engine (you'll get one of these engine easily for the same amount of money spent for those piston kits).

Swapping the engine is way better than installing perf. pistons, rings, etc. since piston-kit will not increase the HP, but enables you to put extra stress to the engine (increased boost, or elevated comp. ratio, higher max. rpm, etc). So, unless you're willing to mod your engine heavily or adding a lot of boost to it, perf. piston kit is a bit useless

FYI : Jun piston kit (slugs, rings, rods) will cost you around US$1500 plus shipping (if you source it direct from japan)

so IMO your best bet will be to purchase a working VR4 crate engine, good engines (japan engines) will work nicely up to 100.000-150.000 miles, some examples are even safe to drive after 200.000 miles (most japan half-cut engines are only 30.000 - 50.000 miles old when the car is salvaged)

i hope my reply will somehow help you in making decision

oh, one more thing, you're not a pain in the ass as long as you ask some good questions (like yours) more question is better (i did, before i mod my car) it's better to be an idiot with a reliable modified car than a smart-ass with a "time-bomb" almost stock car, hehehehe.....

hrevo1430

thanks

thanks for the info i'm gonna go with the VR4, i thought that the piston rings.... would give me more horsepower... but thanks for the info and if you know where i can get a Vr4 motor for cheap let me know