The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1997 Transmission problem...

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    jmg626chi

1997 Transmission problem...

I've scoured the archives, but I haven't found any info about the problem I'm having. It started last Thursday after I got my oil changed (yes, I AM lazy). Upon driving home, I noticed that my idling RPMs dipped from the usual 750-800 range down to 500, to 250, then back up. I had this same problem after changing my battery once and it was only the ECU resetting itself, so I give it little second thought.

The next day, I start up my car, and everything is fine in park. When I put it reverse, the RPMs drop, the car hesitates, and almost stalls. After putting it into drive and hitting the accelerator, the RPMs jump to about 1700 or so before getting into gear, and then there's major jerkiness.
    After I pull into the intersection, I'm waiting for the turn arrow, and the car hesitates and then just cuts out. I'm able to restart it with no problem.

Now, for the last three days, I've had the same problems, but they are worst in the morning after the car has been parked all night. When I come to a stop, the transmission seems to have trouble downshifting into first or second gear, it does it real quick and the car comes very close to stalling. Everything seems to be jerking, and it appears that the car is eating up a lot of gas as well. I'm a struggling college student so
    I don't have tons of money to fork over for any costly repairs. Everything on the car is stock, so it couldn't possibly be from any after-market equipment.

This is the third or fourth time I've posted a question here and I'm always astounded by everyone's knowledge and willingness to help. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.....Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the day......Justin - [email protected]

it sounds like your trans is going. My car did the same thing, before i got the trans rebuilt. You shoudl take it to a trans shop and get a free estimate, this way they will tell you if IT IS you TRANS!! sorry i couldnt be much more help

delo
    yep it sounds like the tranny going. mine did the same thing. felt like i was trying to drive a stick shift. went to AAMCO and had it rebuilt and some parts replaced. almost 2gs in damage to my pocket. PLEASE NO MORE CAR PROBLEMS :cry:
    btw did u check to see if the tranny fluid is leaking.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya everyones right, does sound like your tranny. I have 2 extras if u need one i can give u for a better price than u would spend rebuilding your old one.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

jmg626chi
    Ha! I just got back from the transmission place, and I was 2 quarts low on fluid! Apparently, the kid that changed my oil at goodyear didn't know what he was doing and dumped my tranny fluid (don't ask me HOW THE HELL that happens). Realizing his mistake, he poured more in, but not enough to replace what was there. IDIOTS! IDIOTS! Hey, at least they paid and I got a free tranny flush. I'm buying a hydraulic jack this afternoon, this is the last time I let ANYONE else change the oil on my car. Thanks for the help anyway, a potential crisis has been averted....Justin
    Moral of the story - a cut-rate oil change can bite you in the ass - watch out!

jmg626chi
    Ha! I just got back from the transmission place, and I was 2 quarts low on fluid! Apparently, the kid that changed my oil at goodyear didn't know what he was doing and dumped my tranny fluid (don't ask me HOW THE HELL that happens). Realizing his mistake, he poured more in, but not enough to replace what was there. IDIOTS! IDIOTS! Hey, at least they paid and I got a free tranny flush. I'm buying a hydraulic jack this afternoon, this is the last time I let ANYONE else change the oil on my car. Thanks for the help anyway, a potential crisis has been averted....Justin

jmg626chi

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Glad to hear your back in business again, next time watch those rookies very closely when changing your oil. Someone did that to my car once too but i saw it and questioned it before i lost any amount of fluids. Good show dude.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678