You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

How to: Replace stock rotors and pads

Tools needed:
    14mm socket
    C-clamp
    hammer/rubber hammer

1) Jack up the car and remove the wheel
    2) Remove the 2 bolts behind the caliper, the caliper should come off
    (Note: If you do not want to bleed your brakes, DO NOT remove the hose from the caliper
    3) Remove the Pads, now would be a good time to replace those worn pads.
    4) Remove the 2 bolts that holds the shoe in(I think its the shoe, well its the only thing on the rotor at this time so deal with it )
    5) Now there is nothing holding the rotor on, if your lucky it will pull of, but the majority of the time it is rusted to the hub.
    6) Take out that ole rubber hammer and start hitting it. Hit on the left, then the right and alternate hitting sides. If you use a regular hammer like I did, you will recieve these results:

7) Once the rotor is off, reinstall everything in reverse order
    8) When you get to the caliper installation, it will most likely not fit. So take out a c-clamp and compress the piston untill it fits over the pads and rotors.
    9) Make sure everything is torqued back to oem spec and make sure the dust gaurd is not touching the rotor
    10) Put the wheel back on and lower the car
    11) Make sure you pump the brakes untill pressure is restored. If pressure does not get restored then you must have taken the hose off the caliper and whill now need to bleed the brakes

Now with new rotor and pads, Ive heard you are suppopsed to ride the brakes the first time you take it out. Supposed to get rid of the squeaking and what not.

Stock rotors:

Brembo rotors:
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Nice post seth. :thumbsup: This should be made a sticky. Where did you get those brembos from?

when is we gon be free????

www.raceconcepts.net

talk to woody and mention tgc and he should give you a discount. i think i paid $130 or $140 for front rotors and axis metal master pads
    7g for life!

brandon
    How'd you know I was going to change my pads this weekend and search the board for a refresher.

I haven't changed mine in way too long.. I think my driver side rotor is shot too.

Hammer?! :shock: the first thing they told me at school was that you should have your hammer in the bottem (all the way on back) drawer of your tool box. Now there are hole in the rotor and you put screws there to pop it off (much safer!) Oh yeah nice rotors!! Ive been lookin for drilled n slotted but can only find sloted one.
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

brandon
    Hey Seth,

Are the rotors you got OEM size??

yes
    7g for life!

yea ur suppose to use a screw to take it out.. and just unscrew it off with the pressure of the screw hitting the backplate making it pop off...as for what size screw i forget, i asked Midas once but forgot the size...luckly i have one in my garage...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Slut
    Im just curious.. I cant get my rotors off.. Maybe im afraid to hit it really hard with the hammer... But is it easy to pop off with the 2 screws... Can someone tell me the size of the screws too.

brandon
    Chances are you'll have to make your rotors look like Seth's in the pic above to get em off.

I hard to start wailing on mine with a damn sledgehammer. haha

Very cool seth!

Those are the stock calipers?
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, i did the same thing. got the brembo rotors and axxis pads from raceconepts.net. hot damn, what a difference. the only problem is, the brakes are so good, the tires can't keep up, and i lock up a lot more when i'm racing through the mountains. not good. but yeah, great post seth. also, add a torque wrench to the tools needed section.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Houndawg
    It's a 17mm socket.

brandon
    How long did it take for you to get your rotors and pads?

I sent my money the same day I sent the money to you for the 14b but still haven't received anything, and emailed him yesterday with no response yet.

Mindless
    Damn dude, first a SAFC how to now this. I just got my SAFC and my rotors should be in this week. Are you spying on me Seth? Good job bro, thanks for the useful info.